Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > FOUR CHRISTMASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Like a Dog’s Yule Log Left on Your Lawn!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Like a Dog’s Yule Log Left on Your Lawn!
    Posted: November 23 2008 at 11:50am

LIKE THAT ROCK-HARD, AGING FRUITCAKE from AUNT HELLEN EVERYONE HAULS OUT EVERY DECEMBER, HOLLYWOOD INSISTS ON MAKING "HOLIDAY-THEMED FAMILY COMEDIES" EACH YEAR.

THEY'RE RARELY FUNNY...  THEY'RE OFTEN PAINFUL... AND THEY'RE FREQUENTLY the CINEMATIC EQUIVALENT of a SURVIVAL TEST JUST to SIT THROUGH.

THIS YEAR, WARNER BROS. HAS LINED UP an IMPRESSIVE CAST  for FOUR CHRISTMASES, and GIVEN THEM WHAT MAY BE the MOST THANKLESS MOVIE ROLES of 2008 -- a GROUP of SIBLINGS, IN-LAWS and DIVORCEES WHO SPENT CHRISTMAS DAY INSULTING EACH OTHER, WRESTLING ONE ANOTHER and PROJECTILE VOMITTING...

COME to THINK of IT, THAT FRUITCAKE IS STARTING to SOUND MORE APPETIZING ALREADY...

DUVALL: "Fer Kripe-sakes, we're both Oscar winners!!  Whose fruitcake do we do we have to eat to get out of this pile o' Christmas Crap?!?!?" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 12:10pm

No! How dare you put this up here!

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Whadda ya mean, "how  dare you!" This looks just as putrid as any Bad Holiday Comedy from Christmases Past...

Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 12:26pm

I don't know about the rest of our Forum Members (most of whom I expect, like myself, are dues-paying, actual VOTING Razzie Members) but I have had it up to HERE with the Pollyana-like perpetual "everything's a good movie" babblings of "moviewizeguy." 

And while we're on the subject, I'm also sick-and-tired of that "MigelAntilsu" guy who seems to have anointed himself our Forum Administrator or something -- THE NERVE!

Although both of these two frequent our Forum as predictably as child predators hanging around a bus station bathroom, I don't think either of them has even bothered to actually become a Member and put something behind their over-loud, over-opinionated,often insulting postings.

If these two bozo's don't know a bad movie when they see one, maybe it's time they found other Forums to peddle their pablum on! 

Everything SUX!
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 1:09pm
I agree this will be mediocre, but not nearly as bad as some of the other
Christmas movies in the past like Surviving Christmas and Deck the
Halls
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 3:33pm
I don't mind Christmas themed movie, but like Catholic movies, there's a certain way to go about making them, and they don't usually get it right.
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 3:38pm

Case in point: why does everyone and everything in them have to be so overwhelmingly negative?  While their intent is probably showing "ironic" contrast to the happy holidays, it usually only serves to kill any chance of us sympathizing with the characters (thus in response to the above picture, never mind eating the fruitcake; chances are Duvall and Witherspoon ARE the fruitcakes). 

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 4:52pm

I will say this: If the theme fits the time of year, chances are it will get a big crowd.  As for my thoughts on this film, I don't know exactly what I'm getting yet.  As of right now it only has 3 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (1 Fresh, 2 Rotten).  The cruelest of those reviews is from Joshua Tyler of CinemaBlend.com (sounds like you guys, no offence).  The cast is in fact riddled with former Razzie nominees and Oscar winners and other famous people and the trailers were stupid enough to judge it (like Christmas with the Kranks gone awry).

And by the way, I'm not calling myself Forum Administrator, I'm just giving advice and comparing films side by side and making suggestions.  I will be applying for membership as soon as I've finalized my Razzie projection list (probably after my birthday on Saturday).

moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 7:53pm
Favreau could have had such a good year. Alas, it shall soon be tainted.

You follow up directing Iron Man with a lame role in this? Way to go Jon, you ruined Christmas. And to think I actually liked what you did with Elf.

Also,this is two years in a row that Vaughn has been involved with tarnishing Christmas merriment.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 4:38am

Whatever happened to the great Christmas films like It's a Wonderful Life and The Miracle on 34th Street?  Why can't today's films equal the quality and inspiration that these films had?

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 5:47am
Christmas Vacation was also a great one.
Vega six View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vega six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 7:13am
I liked -- no LOVED -- the trailer for this movie. Stop being grinches, and just enjoy this movie, man!!   
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 9:42am

That's what I thought when I saw the trailer (see below). Vince Vaughn needs to stick to R-rated comedies like "Old School" and "Wedding Crashers," and leave the family films to The Rock. 

Originally posted by moat

Also,this is two years in a row that Vaughn has been involved with tarnishing Christmas merriment.

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 4:19pm

I too would like to know why today's holiday movies stink. It seems these days, all Christmas movies are about how much people hate spending time with their families, rather than what magic the holiday once brought to people's lives. But I guess it's people's outlook on the holiday and how it has been all but killed by commericalism. These days it's more "you have 15 more shopping days until Christmas" than "peace on earth and good will towards mankind". I'll admit, I'm a sucker for "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", but these current day Christmas movies are pale in comparison. If I had a Christmas wish for Hollywood, it would be to go back to the old days of original, good quality, inspirational holiday movies, rather than families complaining about having to suffer through spending a day or two together.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
CayugaLakeGuy View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote CayugaLakeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 12:23am
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Whatever happened to the great Christmas films
like It's a Wonderful Life and The Miracle on 34th Street?  Why can't today's
films equal the quality and inspiration that these films had?

One word: "WRITERS"
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 4:44am

Entertainment Weekly has revealed their 20 Worst Holiday Films you can view by clicking this LINK .

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 10:37am

Yep, those are 20 reasons why holiday movies have sucked over the past few years.

Notice how Ben Affeck was on the list more than once... 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>