Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > FOUR CHRISTMASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Like a Dog’s Yule Log Left on Your Lawn!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Like a Dog’s Yule Log Left on Your Lawn!
    Posted: November 29 2008 at 4:27pm

People tend to spend a lot of time these days whining about the commericalism of the holidays which probably inspires the folks in Hollywood to conclude that cynicism sells. Evenutally they'll figure out that films like Bad Santa and Four Christmases are crap nobody wants. Meanwhile, we are blessed with the fact that movies like It's A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street exist. (But don't forget that neither of these films were commerical or critical successes originally). Yes, even Christmas Vacation  is on my annual watch list... a guilty pleasure perhaps, but always good for a few chuckles. Let me toss out another movie that I watch this time of year annually: It isn't a holiday movie per se, but I think it speaks to themes that represent what this time of year is supposed to be about...Pleasantville.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Having recently viewed an expurgated version of it on Comedy Central, I'd have to disagree with you on BAD SANTA. Yes, it was crass and sick -- But I also thought it hit its comic targets more often than most recent attempts at comedy. And the idea of creepy Billy Bob Thornton as a department store Santa was inherently hilarious... 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
CayugaLakeGuy View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote CayugaLakeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 12:45am
They left out DIE HARD 2 (though arguably it is not ABOUT Xmas).
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 1:48am

Head Razz, we'll have to agree to disagree on Bad Santa. I'll agree with "crass and sick" and that was my impression of the entire film. I didn't find anything redeeming in it. But here are a couple more of the annual holiday "must see" treasures: A Christmas Story and Holiday Inn... 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: And I'll add another of my own personal, somewhat obscure holiday favorites: Barbara Stanwyck in the opriginal 1945 CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT, which airs on TCM 3 times this December, including Christmas Eve (LINK).

WARNING: The 1992 TV movie with the same title (directed by Ah-Nuld Schwarzeneggar) belongs on the Lumps of Coal list...

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 6:34am

My jaw dropped when I saw "Black Christmas" on the top 20 Worst Holiday Movies list...until I read the reason, which is pretty fair, I think. But still...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 7:12am

For most people, murder and Christmas shouldn't go hand-in-hand. After all, the holiday is supposed to be about the gift of life. "Black Christmas" is the polar opposite of that, hence not a favorite among fans of uplifting Christmas movies. Didn't you noticed all the protests and backlash that greeted the remake from a year or two ago? 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 11:25am

I knew about it from the original but I thought the remake would just get released...I guess those people were still angry after 30 years.

Originally posted by Michaels

For most people, murder and Christmas shouldn't go hand-in-hand. After all, the holiday is supposed to be about the gift of life. "Black Christmas" is the polar opposite of that, hence not a favorite among fans of uplifting Christmas movies. Didn't you noticed all the protests and backlash that greeted the remake from a year or two ago? 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 4:41pm
My sister went to see "Four Christmases" tonight. I expect a full report from her tomorrow.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 12:40pm

This morning on the radio, some guy saw this movie and said it was hilarious.  He also said "the critics ripped it apart because they lack concept of emotion".

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 4:23am

I'm not judging this one that hard, but I do agree that Christmas movies should be more uplifting (without being preachy or cheesy) rather than being about hating your family. 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Whatever happened to the great Christmas films like It's a Wonderful Life and The Miracle on 34th Street?  Why can't today's films equal the quality and inspiration that these films had?

1) Actors can't act their way out of a paper bag...

2) I'd be surprised if the writers can read past the 2nd grade level...

3) Directors that think they're above the entire production team...

4) Editors can be easily replaced by retarded chimps to do a better job in the actual editing of the movie...

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Razzilla

1) Actors can't act their way out of a paper bag...

2) I'd be surprised if the writers can read past the 2nd grade level...

3) Directors that think they're above the entire production team...

4) Editors can be easily replaced by retarded chimps to do a better job in the actual editing of the movie...

So what you're sayign is that unlike the filmmakers of the 1930s, the filmmakers of today have no talent what-so-ever and are all about feeding their egos? Sounds about right.

You forgot #5) Studio heads who greenlight anything that has a proven formula for success in the past, no matter how insulting to people's intelligence it maybe.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2010 at 3:39pm
It was funny,but the endin'...it's not that is awful,but at that point you realize not even the lead characters are sympathetic people you can relate to.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 1:16pm
4/10.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 1:44pm
Funny enough, this is the 4th most ordered movie on Comcast's On Demand feature. "The Hangover" is #1 and ... Miguel, you might want to sit down and breathe ... "Twilight" is #2.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12