Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > GEORGIA RULE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lindsay in "Dramatic" Mode...OH, OH!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lindsay in "Dramatic" Mode...OH, OH!
    Posted: May 09 2007 at 11:17am

FELICITY, FONDA and LINDSAY-LO PLAY 3 GENERATIONS of TORMENTED WOMEN -- BUT NOT AS TORMENTED AS AUDIENCES WHEN THEY REALIZE THEY'VE JUST PAID GOOD MONEY to SEE a BAD LIFETIME TV MOVIE*...

Lindsay: "So, like, do you two old broads wanna go get wasted with me tonight?? I promised I'll have you back on the set by 2pm tomorrow..." 

*MAKE THAT a BAD LIFETIME TV MOVIE with the ADDED "BONUS" of CRUDE, UNFUNNY "JOKES" ABOUT INCEST, CHILD ABUSE and ORAL SEX WITH MORMON VIRGINS. I FIND MYSELF GIGGLING (OR IS THAT GAGGING?) JUST THINKING ABOUT IT... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 2:48am
HeadRAZZ, you are finally back! there are several movies from the past few weeks that I think you should add to the forum, including The Invisible, Are We Done Yet?, The Condemned, Kickin' It Old School, and Perfect Stranger.

As for this movie, it doesn't look like it will be terrible, but it doesn't look one bit enjoyable. Lindsay Lohan should stick to teen movies and not pretend she is a serious actress. Her other starring
role his summer, I Know Who Killed Me. sounds really bad.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 8:18am

Originally posted by jb razz

HeadRAZZ, you are finally back! there are several movies from the past few weeks that I think you should add to the forum, including The Invisible, Are We Done Yet?, The Condemned, Kickin' It Old School, and Perfect Stranger. 

Perfect Stranger has been added to the list.

As for Georgia Rule...with Lindsay Lohan in it, we might as well put Britney Spears and Paris Hilton in place of Felicity and Fonda!  At least then, it might actually be camp material.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 10:30am

Please, please, don't talk about Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Britney Spears. I don't like it when people are mean to them because of what they see on the tabloids. Do you know every time they say "this couple is breaking up!", they are lying and just want gullible minded people to buy their magazines?! You don't know them, and if you met them, they might be nice to you. Who knows?

ANYWAY, yeah, I really don't know why this movie is doing badly. It has 3 fantastic actresses, and a good plot, but critics seem to not like it. I don't know why they don't like The Invisible, either. I really want to see this movie because, although it seems like a comedy, it's more a drama and takes on some serious issues like child abuse/molestation...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 2:46pm
I read that this is a comedy about sexual abuse.  I'm shocked that it was greenlighted, and saddened that only the movie critics are bashing this film mostly because of this.  If this is what this movie is about, and it's as bad as reported, then these three deserve Razzie noms.
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 4:04pm
I've seen the trailers and thought this might be good. Didn't hear about the film being about sexual abuse. If it's handled and shown in a positive light (that abuse is bad) maybe it has some potential.

I still like Lohan, and have hopes for her becoming a serious actress, and I also like Huffman from her star turn (and Oscar-nominated work) in "TransAmerica". I like Jane Fonda as well.

However, if Lohan WAS serious about her acting, a good thing for her to do is to break off her friendship with Paris Hilton. Remember the phone book fiasco a few years back? That should have been the clincher right there...
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Berrynoia

Don't forget to add Thr3e. It's came out on video last week, perfect time to watch and add it to here. ('Cause it's really bad)

I also think you should add that "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters". The worst aniimated film I've ever experienced.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 3:12am

For what it's worth, I agree that The Invisible, Are We Done Yet?, The Condemned and Kickin' It Old Skool also deserve their own Forums. 

It seems to me ATHFCMFFT is what it is, just like Reno: 911!, and I won't condemn it for that. 

And if you think Thr3e, which hardly anyone has seen, was bad, you should rent Funny Money.  But, again, for what it's worth, I don't see how you can make a case for either one, simply because no one has seen them.  You'd have to make a special effort, like the HeadRAZZ did with Dirty Love.  Otherwise, by all means consider both of them.  

I would also like Lucky You to be considered.

And I really, really, really want to add Next, but it's currently sitting right on the bubble at 30% on the RT meter.  As always, it's up to the HeadRAZZ to add it or not.

It seems to me that 2007's "Razzie" movies aren't anywhere near as "Razzie" as 2006's "Razzie" movies (think Basic Instinct 2, Little Man, Zoom, Ultraviolet, The Wicker Man, Grandma's Boy, etc.).  I guess 2006 was a watershed year (a flooded-out year?).  There were so many "Razzie" movies last year that half the ones I just listed didn't even make it onto our Ballot.

Originally posted by Movie Man

Originally posted by Berrynoia

Don't forget to add Thr3e. It's came out on video last week, perfect time to watch and add it to here. ('Cause it's really bad)

I also think you should add that "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters". The worst aniimated film I've ever experienced.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 9:22am
Ok, when do movies actually get suggested for Razzie? 30% and lower? And if that is right, there will be MANY movies under 30%! I mean, it's half the year and there are like tons of movie already suggested for nominations! That's a lot of movies. Instead of having 1 or 2 or 3 movies suggested each week, just rarely suggest them because there are way too many movies suggested right now. lol
ArtGirl138 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ArtGirl138 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 4:23pm

So? Just because the movies might not end up Razzie-nominated doesn't mean we can't talk about how bad they are. If my understanding is correct, this forum isn't strictly meant for Razzie noms - it's meant for discussing crap in general.

And moviewizguy - I asked you once, and I'll ask you again, why don't you suggest some nominees?

Now, onto the film - y'know, I keep hoping Lindsay Lohan will FINALLY see the light and focus more on being a good actress than being a "party girl". Alas, it doesn't seem that she's returned from the dark side yet, as the trouble on the set of this movie proved.

Of course, now that I know more about this movie, I can see why it's being bashed - a "comedy" about sexual abuse? Say it with me - EWWWWWW.

Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2007 at 5:50pm
If you want some indication of just how low this movie sinks, a child molestor ranks as only the 4th most detestable character.  The people in this movie make Jerry Springer's guests look sane and likeable.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 8:39am

It looks like Lohan's glory daze are over, which were like only THREE films that pleased critics. Anyway, Head RAZZ, I read this one review that says that Georgia Rule is Lohan's Gigli. I think we all know how Gigli ended up: Being bad, bombing at the Box Office, then "winning" 6 RAZZIES.

Still, Head RAZZ, there's much for you to add to our Forum. You should now add ARE WE DONE YET, right now. It hasn't reached the $50 million mark at the U.S. Box Office. Also add VACANCY, 'cause it bombed with critics as well as at the Box Office. And there's like 4 other recent movies you should add to this Forum as well...

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 1:53pm
Oh, you people are the crudest people ever! Have you seen the movie?! NO! It was never meant to be a comedy! It's called bad advertising! Critics ACTUALLY said that Lohan's performance is GREAT! The thing they complained about was the script! READ THEM! It helps if you really want to give a decent debate!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 3:46pm
Umm... Vacancy actually got decent reviews and because it bombed didn't mean it's bad.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 5:45pm

Minor spoilers within the quotes from the critics' reviews.

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Oh, you people are the crudest people ever! Have you seen the movie?! NO! It was never meant to be a comedy! It's called bad advertising! Critics ACTUALLY said that Lohan's performance is GREAT! The thing they complained about was the script! READ THEM! It helps if you really want to give a decent debate!

Well, moviewizguy, let's read the "cream of the crop" critics from Rotten Tomatoes:

John Anderson of Variety sez:
"No offense to either of them, but “Georgia Rule” suggests an Ingmar Bergman script as directed by Jerry Lewis. The subject matter is grim, the relationships are gnarled, the worldview is bleak, and, at any given moment, you suspect someone’s going to be hit with a pie."

So, he thinks it's a "dramedy" (his term, not mine).  He thought Lohan performed well, but gave the benefit of the doubt to both Huffman and Fonda.

Stephen Hunter of the Washington Post sez:
Just what we need least: a warm family comedy about child molestation.That's "Georgia Rule," which combines battleship actresses of the "Steel Magnolias" variety, fall-down-go-boom comedy that was obsolete in the '30s, Lindsay Lohan's cleavage and intergenerational fondling just for kicks.

So, he thinks it's a comedy about child molestation.  Unless I missed something, he doesn't comment on anybody's acting.

Mick LaSalle of the San Francisco Chronicle writes.
But let's talk about tone. It's the hardest thing to convey in a review, especially with a movie as jarring in tone as "Georgia Rule." The film is intended to be light and whimsical, but with a core of sincere emotion. But it's as if the thing were made by Martian anthropologists who assume that human audiences are as twisted as the people onscreen.

And so one of the "funny" scenes involves young Rachel seducing a religious Mormon fellow and performing oral sex on him (off camera). Another "funny" scene, a real knee-slapper, has Rachel confronting a group of prissy Mormon girls by threatening to have carnal relations with all their boyfriends. Only she doesn't say "carnal relations." Wow. Isn't she cool?

So, he thinks its a comedy about sexual abuse.  He doesn't comment on the acting, either.

Lael Lowenstein of the Los Angeles Times writes:
Don't be misled by its upbeat trailer or the supposedly reassuring presence of director Garry Marshall. Weighted down by too much disturbing material to work as a glossy, lighthearted comedy, yet dappled with too many broad comic moments to stand as a serious film, "Georgia Rule" oscillates clumsily from shock to slapstick to schmaltz. The result of these big tonal swings is a cinematic strikeout.

And Joe Morgenstern from the Wall Street Journal, Claudia Puig of USA Today (who faults Lohan's and Huffman's acting), Michael Rechtshaffen of the Hollywood Reporter, and Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times all to one degree or another concur that this movie has the bad taste to be a comedy about sexual abuse.

Mind you, there are critics who support your point of view, too.  But please don't say we haven't read what the critics have said about this movie.  When the HeadRAZZ put this one on the list, I went to the critics.

ArtGirl138 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ArtGirl138 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 4:57am

You said that Lindsay's being praised by the critics?

Ty Burr of the Boston Globe says...

"...As the hellacious brat of 'Georgia Rule,' though, Lohan's line readings are alternately flat and flip, and she slumps through the movie as though the party were elsewhere and she was stuck picking up her room. It's a performance of no thought or depth, as unfixed as the bizarre spray-on tan that seems to mutate from scene to scene."

Hmmm...nope, doesn't sound like praise to me.

And here's what he said about the film's subject matter...

Georgia Rule is a bad idea dreadfully executed -- On Golden Pond with fellatio jokes and whimsical incest melodrama and Fonda playing her dad (who, more and more, she eerily resembles).

Sounds like he's implying it's - gasp! - a comedy about sexual abuse!

So, what's the score so far...

cvcjr13: 5

ArtGirl138: 1

moviewizguy: ...a resounding 0!

And, geez, don't accuse us of not listening to the critics. How do you think I make important Should-I-see-this-movie-or-wait-until-it-costs-less-to-see-i t decisions?

God, moviewizguy, I thought people came here to support the Razzies.

Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>