Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > M. Night Shyamalan's THE HAPPENING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Links to M. Night saying it was a B-movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Links to M. Night saying it was a B-movie
    Posted: August 20 2009 at 9:31am
...BEFORE the harsh reviews came in. As many can see on RT ( http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007985-happening/?page=9&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;critic= columns&sortby=date&name_order=desc&view=#conten tReviews), the first review was posted on June 10, 2008. The day many people found out that M. Night said the movie was supposed to be a B-movie was the day the film was released, June 13, 2008, days after the harsh review came in. So, many have speculated that he said that to "cover his tracks." Well, it may be like a year later and people don't care anymore but I've got links listed below that shows the earliest dates to when he actually said The Happening was meant to be a B-movie:

The bottom article were posted on June 8, 2008, two days before the first review went online:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/06/08/2 008-06-08_shyamalan_back_on_terror_firma.html
#ixzz0OlGyryDS

These articles were posted on June 9, 2008, a day before the first review came online:

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/06/09/shyamalan-prepares-
audiences-for-the-happening/

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/m_night_shyamalan_
interview_you_want_to_read

Thoughts?
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 10:27am
Strange, those links don't work anymore. Maybe those interviews were just...

*gasp* A twist!

Just figments of their, the website's, imaginations!
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 12:30pm
So, let me get this straight: you want us to agree with you that M. Night is a great director because he made a bad movie on purpose that than bombed at the box office? That we should be admiring him for making a piece of crap on purpose and that we should be shocked that people saw it for what it was, a piece of crap, and thus rejected it all together? You do realize that makes no sense, right?
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 2:31pm

My question is a simple one: What has M. Night Shamalamadingdong ever done that has elevated him above the level of B movie director? Some might give him some plaudites for The Sixth Sense, but imho, that was one of the most wildly overrated films I've ever seen. I figured out the big surprise about 10 minutes into the film which made the whole thing a painful bore. His other movies didn't even wait 10 minutes to become painful bores.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 3:28am

Well, saturnewatcher, for every one person who figured out the big twist at the first 10 minute mark, there were 9 people who didn't figure it out until the last ten minutes, if not the very ending. I'm guessing MWG was one of those people who didn't figure it out until the very end and he has declared Shamalamadingdong a filmmaking genius ever since.

I mean, let's face it, MWG is a fanatic in every sense of the word when it comes to M. Night's movies. He's convince himself that making a bad movie on purpose is a wise move in already failing movie career, and false advertisement makes for good marketing. It's to the point when M. Night's movies fail at the box office, it's not his fault, it's the movie goers' fault. And it's gotten so bad that now he praises mediocre movies like "Knowing" and "Orphan" just because they share themes or motifs from past M. Night films. It's like he's a junkie and M. Night is his dealer.

What about next year when "The Last Air Bender" comes out? Just wait and see how many posts MWG will be making about how M. Night made the single greatest martial arts movie of all time and how he's back in form.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 4:27pm
Seriously, give up the argument. If it was meant to be a B-movie, it fails even more than if it was trying to be serious, because it didn't have the sheer corniness, it was just terrible. It was a bad, bad, bad movie - one of the worst I've seen.
-Iron helps us play-
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 2:10am
No dEd, I think we'll probably have to surrender this time. The Happening was an intentional and great B movie in which something happened. I just missed it. The Sixth Sense wasn't sickly and senseless. Above all, The Village wasn't a pathetic attempt at a thriller that wasted most of two hours of my life. It was a stirring romance that will be remembered centuries from now in the same light as Romeo and Juliet. Yep...M Nut Shamalamadingdong...director for the ages.  (and shoe-in for the Razzie Hall of Fame)
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Michaels

Well, saturnewatcher, for every one person who figured out the big twist at the first 10 minute mark, there were 9 people who didn't figure it out until the last ten minutes, if not the very ending. I'm guessing MWG was one of those people who didn't figure it out until the very end and he has declared Shamalamadingdong a filmmaking genius ever since.

Actually, I'm one of those people who watched the movie 10 years later and had it spoiled to me before I've seen it. Damn that "50 First Dates"! Anyway, I thought the twist was done better in The Others.

I mean, let's face it, MWG is a fanatic in every sense of the word when it comes to M. Night's movies.

Oh, you have no idea. Just wait and see what I'm working on right now. It's a video. I think it's going to be great.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:20am
Originally posted by thomsonmg2000

Strange, those links don't work anymore. Maybe those interviews were just...

*gasp* A twist!

Just figments of their, the website's, imaginations!

Updated the links.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:21am

So, let me get this straight: you want us to agree with you that M. Night is a great director because he made a bad movie on purpose that than bombed at the box office?

Why do people associate B-movie with intentionally bad? Look at Grindhouse. The Happening didn't bomb in the box office either.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:22am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

because it didn't have the sheer corniness

Are you sure about that?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:34am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

The Happening was an intentional and great B movie in which something happened. I just missed it.

How can you miss it? With lines like "Cheese and crackers!" and "You eyein' my lemon drink?" did you honestly expect this to NOT be corny in some ways?

Above all, The Village wasn't a pathetic attempt at a thriller that wasted most of two hours of my life. It was a stirring romance that will be remembered centuries from now in the same light as Romeo and Juliet.

It was a romance with ambiguous morality. "Can you really escape the evils of humanity?" The movie asks this question. No, you can't. There is crime everywhere you go. You can't escape what makes part of human beings human. The theme ties in with the scene when Noah stabs Lucious. Ivy loving Lucious supports her in going to the towns for medicines. Yes, that sounds exactly like a horror thriller. The movie is more of a morality tale. It's depressing that you guys don't see that. Read the Youtube comments to the link of the trailer in the "Most misleading preview" thread. Most of the comments agree the preview was misleading in every possible way.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:21pm

1. Box office bomb: I'm pretty sure "The Happening" was M. Night's lowest grossing movie of his post-"Sixth Sense" career, or at least the lowest grossing opening. Far from being a "success".

2. Corniness: Again, you want us to think making a bad movie on purpose is a good thing for a director with "talent" to do? "Grindhouse" was being sold as a corny throwback to B movies, but "The Happening" was being sold as a serious thriller. False advertisting all but promised this movie's defeat, with the bad quality being the final nail in the coffin.

3. Romance: I know you go out of your way to find people on IMDb or YouTube to agree with your points of view about M. Night's movies, but "The Village" came out years ago and critics and most movie goers have spoken ... they don't like it (saturnwatcher was just messing with you when he said it's on par with "Romeo and Juliet").

Just accept it and move on. He's made three good, or at least decent, movies and followed them up with three duds. Now he's doing the somewhat right thing by taking a break from screenwriting and just directing a simple live action cartoon adapation. If he screws up this time, I think it's time he finds a new profession.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:54pm

1. Box office bomb: I'm pretty sure "The Happening" was M. Night's lowest grossing movie of his post-"Sixth Sense" career, or at least the lowest grossing opening. Far from being a "success".

You could have taken a few seconds and look it up in Boxofficemojo or something. It opened $30 million with a budget of $60 million. The film made $60 million worldwide in its first week. The film has made over $163 million worldwide. It wasn't a bomb. In fact, it may as well been one of Fox's most successful movie of that summer. LitW is currently M. Night's lowest opening and total overall ($72 million) with a budget of $75 million.

2. False advertisting all but promised this movie's defeat, with the bad quality being the final nail in the coffin.

You do realize that M. Night doesn't market his movies, don't you? The publicity guys market his movies however they want to and because "The 6th Sense" and "Signs" were his two most successful movies, they market his recent films like those to get people to watch them.

3. Romance: I know you go out of your way to find people on IMDb or YouTube to agree with your points of view about M. Night's movies, but "The Village" came out years ago and critics and most movie goers have spoken ... they don't like it (saturnwatcher was just messing with you when he said it's on par with "Romeo and Juliet").

Just because people don't like it doesn't mean it is a horror movie.

Now he's doing the somewhat right thing by taking a break from screenwriting and just directing a simple live action cartoon adapation. If he screws up this time, I think it's time he finds a new profession.

I think he's still writing the script.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

You could have taken a few seconds and look it up in Boxofficemojo or something. It opened $30 million with a budget of $60 million. The film made $60 million worldwide in its first week. The film has made over $163 million worldwide. It wasn't a bomb. In fact, it may as well been one of Fox's most successful movie of that summer. LitW is currently M. Night's lowest opening and total overall ($72 million) with a budget of $75 million.

Well, it just falls back on the old saying "Just because it was a hit, doesn't mean it wasn't sh*t". And of course, you had to mention worldwide because in nationwide only, it's not as impressive.

You do realize that M. Night doesn't market his movies, don't you? The publicity guys market his movies however they want to and because "The 6th Sense" and "Signs" were his two most successful movies, they market his recent films like those to get people to watch them.

Well, he should have really considered having a hand in the marketing and realized, "hey, marketing guys, you're making my movie look like soemthing it's not". Instead, we have him backpeddaling "oh, no, it was suppose to be a B movie all along". Heck, even Vin Diesel admitted "Babylon AD" sucked because of how the studio edited it.

Just because people don't like it doesn't mean it is a horror movie.

Horror or romance, it's still one of his least liked films.

I think he's still writing the script.

Well, that's a poor choice on the studios part, considering his writing skills just aren't what they used to be. 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 11:20am

Heck, even Vin Diesel admitted "Babylon AD" sucked because of how the studio edited it.

And so did its director.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>