Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > M-I-III
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

M: I: III-Tom’s back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M: I: III-Tom’s back
    Posted: May 15 2006 at 4:51am
Well, M: I III just sank POSEIDON at the weekend box office, and it is now at over $84 million. All POSEIDON ever managed to get is over $20 million, finishing second. RV finished third and is now at over $42 million.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 4:51am
Walter Brennan won three Oscars for Best Supporting Actor. There's an under-rated great...
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 5:38am
John Ford won 4 Best Achievements in Directing Oscars.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 4:29pm
M: I III is at over $103 Million at the B.O. in its first three weeks.
Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 10:53pm
Three weeks already of Mission Implausible-3 and a world wide income about 220 mio.
This means there is no profit for the studio yet:
50% go to distributors and theatres. This means only 110 mio is left for the studio...
production-costs: 150 mio
promotion-costs: 50 mio
Then Crui$emeister gets 25% (something round 55 mio)(which is what I heard)
That is not what I would exactly call a profit now. Am I being wrong here?
Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 11:24pm

Originally posted by Queen_of_Toad

That is not what I would exactly call a profit now. Am I being wrong here?

Probably, yes. These days, about 65% of the revenue for movies comes from DVD sales and rentals, and broadcast revenues. Merchandise tie-ins can also bring in a load of cash, although that probably won't figure in significantly for MI-III. So far as I know, there isn't a MI-III Happy Meal.

Tom's latest venture most likely won't drown anyone in green ink, but by the time all is said and done, it'll make enough to buy a few meals, even  for John Travolta and Kristie Alley. Scientology isn't a religion...its an excuse for a mother of a barbeque.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 12:15am

Oh.  But I was referring to being a profit in movie theatres.
Do you think its chances for DVD sales are that good?

And:"...it's an excuse for a mother of a barbeque." I have never heard that expression before -- What does it mean?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 4:13am

Oh.  But I was relating to being a profit in the movie theatre.
Well, do you think the chances for the sales of the DVD are that good?

Its hard to tell what sales will be, but I can virtually guarantee you that it will do well in rentals. Things are almost reaching the point where studios don't particularly care how movies do in their theatrical run anymore. In fact, quite a few of the major studios are looking into the possible benefits of making new releases available on Pay Per View immediately upon release. I wouldn't be surprised if we are seeing that with some frequency within a year or two. And I'm not referring here to "direct to video" disasters that the studio already has flushed. They are seriously looking into this strategy for major releases.

And:"...its an excuse for a mother of a barbeque." I have never heard that expression before. What does it mean?

Its a mean spirited reference to the clearly apparent fact that neither John Travolta, Kristie Alley or some of the other more prominent members of Scientology have missed a whole lot of meals lately. But in this case, I have no personal problem with taking a cheap shot. If I have to listen to their nutty ramblings about a pyramid scheme religion, I don't feel too bad about implying that John Travolta NEEDS the lifting power of a 747 these days to get him off the ground.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 6:37am

But saturnwatcher, if the results in the movie theatres don't matter anymore, why such high production costs? Why not keep these films on a regular tv-level - which would come out much cheaper. Sorry, it may sound stupid, but I mean it. Well, it will probably do well in DVD-rental . There are so many people who boycotted the film. I bet they are waiting for the DVD-release-

"John Travolta NEEDS the lifting power of a 747 these days to get him off the ground." Is he that fat? Or do you mean that his career is going so badly?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 4:20pm

But saturnwatcher, if the results in the movie theatres don't matter anymore, why such high production costs? 

For the same reason that the Philadelphia Philharmonic doesn't equip the entire orchestra with kazoos, and great painters don't fob off paint-by-numbers. Filmmakers are still artists, and even most studio heads still view their craft as an art as much as a business. The point I was trying to make is that box office receipts aren't as significant of a factor in measuring a film's success as they once were. They don't even constitute the majority of a given film's revenue: Only about a third typically, and that being the case, it is, as I at least intended to convey, not the ultimate measure of whether or not a film is successful in the last analysis. Most made for TV movies these days don't come close to the viewership of a modestly successful major motion picture, so there are still financial incentives behind Hollywood productions as opposed to "ripped from the headlines," cheaped out TV movies. (not to mention artistic freedom, i.e. less stringent censorship).

"John Travolta NEEDS the lifting power of a 747 these days to get him off the ground." Is he that fat? Or do you mean that his career is going so badly?

The remark was meant to be aimed at his weight, but it is probably equally applicable to his career.

deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

For the same reason that the Philadelphia Philharmonic doesn't equip the entire orchestra with kazoos, and great painters don't fob off paint-by-numbers. Filmmakers are still artists, and even most studio heads still view their craft as an art as much as a business.
If McG, Rolland Emmerich and Michael Bay are artists then I'm the Queen of Denmark. If they seriously think their movies are art, we're all doomed.
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:38pm
Wow, think about that. This movie has already made over $100 Million at the B.O... but hasn't reached the $150 Million mark yet...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 1:00pm
One question: aren't the films that usually did well in the theatres those that do well in the dvd sale as well? Because after what I have heard Mission Implausible-3 is still about $ 100 mio. in the red numbers.
Thank you in advance for explaining.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12