Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > M. Night Shyamalan's THE HAPPENING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

M. Night is Back...and BAD As Ever?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M. Night is Back...and BAD As Ever?!?
    Posted: April 09 2010 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Vits

Why do you insist one sayin'his carrer is ruined?If he wasn't the director of THE LAST AIRBENDER,that movie wouldn't have a forum,but it probably will,since you all hate him.His carrer isn't over just because of 3 bad movies.He has 2 on development:A sequel to UNBREAKABLE,one his hits,and DEVIL,in which he won't write the script,which is what all of you haters begged him to do.
I said the last three movies "almost" ruined his career. Three movies in a row that failed one way or another, if he was any other director, he would be out of a job. That is how Hollywood works. But he has some kind of pull and now he's playing it smart by doing a token blockbuster type movie, a sequel, and then not writing. So maybe he'll get back on track. But to us, he still have three strikes on his record.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

By going with two sides of the argument, you leave me with no room to side with anything else. How am I suppose to react to that tactic? If films that do and don't win Oscars usually don't get regarded as classics, then what do get regarded as classics? Exactly. You put me in a situation in which I can make no choice.
Debating any point with you is utterly useless, MWG, when you won't even own up to your own arguments. I'm through trying. RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Debating any point with you is utterly useless, MWG, when you won't even own up to your own arguments. I'm through trying. RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Ok. It was interesting while it lasted.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 10:04am

By going with two sides of the argument, you leave me with no room to side with anything else. How am I suppose to react to that tactic? If films that do and don't win Oscars usually don't get regarded as classics, then what do get regarded as classics? Exactly. You put me in a situation in which I can make no choice.
Okay, well how's this: a classic movie is one that stands the test of time, is still talked about as being one of the greatest decades after it's released, is considered a staple and prime of example of its genre. Are any movies from this past decade still going to be talked about 50 years from now? Doubtful. The "Lord of the Rings" movies, MAYBE, but that's about it. Everything else was sequels and remakes that were just quick money makers but were hollow otherwise.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Okay, well how's this: a classic movie is one that stands the test of time, is still talked about as being one of the greatest decades after it's released, is considered a staple and prime of example of its genre. Are any movies from this past decade still going to be talked about 50 years from now? Doubtful. The "Lord of the Rings" movies, MAYBE, but that's about it. Everything else was sequels and remakes that were just quick money makers but were hollow otherwise.

I can put my money that AVATAR and Synecdoche, New York will be remembered 50 years from now.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 3:37pm

I can put my money that AVATAR and Synecdoche, New York will be remembered 50 years from now.
"Avatar", that's reaching a bit far, because CGI and 3-D effects aside, there's not much to it and it could easily be replaced with another movie with even better CGI and a much better story and better characters. "Synecdoche, New York", never heard of it, so that's a big neon sign that it won't last the test of time.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 4:49pm
Oscar nominated(and winning)movies aren't automatically future classics,but they can still be.AVATAR is.It didn't win "Best Picture",but it's the highest grossin'movie ever.Maybe another movie will be in 50 years or less,but TITANIC is also a classic,even if it's not #1 anymore.The same for LORD OF THE RINGS.

I've been waitin'months for SYNECDOCHE,NEW YORK to premiere here.I don't even know if it will.But it's not a future classic.It had mixed to positive reviews and failed at the b.o..Most importantly,a lot of people have never about it.Such a shame.I really like Charlie Kaufman,and this was his directorial debut.Well,BEIN'JOHN MALKOVICH and ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND are future classics.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 7:49pm

Oscar nominated(and winning)movies aren't automatically future classics,but they can still be.AVATAR is.It didn't win "Best Picture",but it's the highest grossin'movie ever.Maybe another movie will be in 50 years or less,but TITANIC is also a classic,even if it's not #1 anymore.The same for LORD OF THE RINGS.

I've been waitin'months for SYNECDOCHE,NEW YORK to premiere here.I don't even know if it will.But it's not a future classic.It had mixed to positive reviews and failed at the b.o..Most importantly,a lot of people have never about it.Such a shame.I really like Charlie Kaufman,and this was his directorial debut.Well,BEIN'JOHN MALKOVICH and ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND are future classics.
Well yes, "Avatar" is the highest grossing of all time, but is it really a classic? Maybe if it is passed down to generation to generation so people still talk about 30 years from nwo like they do "Star Wars", maybe. It's really too early to tell.

As for "Synecdoche, New York", well if no one has heard of it, how is it a classic? And as for the other Charlie Kaufman movies, their classic status is up in the air as well, because they might be well loved by critics and art film circles, but I doubt the general public feels the same way.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 7:56pm

As for "Synecdoche, New York", well if no one has heard of it, how is it a classic? And as for the other Charlie Kaufman movies, their classic status is up in the air as well, because they might be well loved by critics and art film circles, but I doubt the general public feels the same way.

How can you have not heard of it?! Well, I haven't seen it, but those who have seen it said it will be remembered 50 years from now, which was why I suggested this title. Sure, it had mixed reviews but so did The Shining. Nobody came to appreciate that film until many years later, which was the point I was trying to make with Syn, NY.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 8:22pm

How can you have not heard of it?! Well, I haven't seen it, but those who have seen it said it will be remembered 50 years from now, which was why I suggested this title. Sure, it had mixed reviews but so did The Shining. Nobody came to appreciate that film until many years later, which was the point I was trying to make with Syn, NY.
Well, we're going to have to wait 50 years to know for sure, because no one is talking about it right now.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 6:44am

Well,I'm sure the ones who saw it will remember it.That's the case with ev'ry movie.But if it's not remembered by most people,it's not a classic.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 11:13am

Well,I'm sure the ones who saw it will remember it.That's the case with ev'ry movie.But if it's not remembered by most people,it's not a classic.
Yeah, that's my point. The few people who actually saw it might remember it, but if there's no word of mouth and no one else sees it, and no one talks about it, and they don't pass the movie down to the next generation ... well, then it's not a classic.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 6:42pm
Burn makes a good point about Avatar. It is somewhat ground breaking in the methods of CGI and 3D it employed, but those technologies will be vastly improved in the next decade or so, and Avatar is going to end up looking cheesy and dated. Then you are going to have a movie with a weak plot, no particularly strong performances and doesn't even compare to future state of the art efforts. Do you really think that will become a classic?

We are watching Charlie Chaplin's films, Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind and others today, decades after their original release precisely because they didn't rely on being one trick ponies. There is a sublime quality of filmmaking, story telling and emotional appeal that draw us back to them generation after generation.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 4:06pm
Yes, saturn, that was my point. No movie of the past decade has a long shelf life, since Hollywood was counting entirely on quick money making gimmicks like 3-D, sequels, remakes, and adpatations of comic books and video games. Hence why nothing except maybe the "Lord of the Rings" movies might be remembered 50 years from now.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 3:41pm
Well,I just saw SYNECDOCHE,NEW YORK, and since it doesn't have a forum,I'll tell you here that I didn't like it.I guess I had my hopes way too up.Here's my review of it: 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 5:00pm
Don't worry about it, man, it happens to the best of us. That's the funny thing about word of mouth: Just because handfuls of people like something doesn't mean everyone will like it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>