Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > M. Night Shyamalan's THE HAPPENING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

M. Night is Back...and BAD As Ever?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M. Night is Back...and BAD As Ever?!?
    Posted: June 04 2008 at 5:22am

Well, the things that make people kill themselves is actually revealed early on in the movie. Someone on IMDb said it was in the train station, which is about 30 minutes into the movie. Also, they aren't screening this movie to the critics to keep the "mystery" but I don't get all the secrecy when it's going to be revealed early on in the movie.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 8:38am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Yo, moviewizguy, you're so naive you're actually buying the line that Fox isn't screening the movie to "keep the mystery"??  I'd guess it's not being screened before release for the usual reason -- IT SUX!! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 1:58pm
....I wasn't buying it at all....but there are already some screenings, so I don't know.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 5:40am

Nevermind, they are screening it:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/04/fox-to-hold-happening-pr ess-screenings-after-all-m-night-afraid-of-blogs/

RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 11:55am
Even worse, it's opening against The Incredible Hulk, which looks 10,000 times better. I agree with most of the fanboys that the first movie was a little bit of a bore and didn't deliver the goods, but early word of mouth said that this new version directed by Louis Letterier (who directed two good Jet Li/Jason Statham films) is up there with Iron Man as a satisfying comic book adaptation.

From what I hear, it's supposed to be more in tune with the TV series and comics than Ang Lee's arthouse take, the cast members do a great job (Tim Roth is getting the most praise), and the final showdown between the Hulk and the Abomination (apparently, they're gonna keep the name of Emil Blonsky's alter-ego) rivals that of Transformers' final showdown in the city (say what you want, I thought Michael Bay did a terrific job with that film, and I'm saying that aware about his previous failures - ::cough:: Pearl Harbor ::cough::).

Back to the topic of The Happening, HeadRAZZBerry has laid it perfectly clear about Lady in the Water AND this film. National Treasure 2 had LITW's same style of storytelling by cramming in an overwhelming amount of exposition and flat-out telling the story as if we're stupid. All of that film was like that. 'Nuff said.

So, basically, I know what I'm seeing coming the 13th of February.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 1:00pm

I THINK, from reading throughout the Internet, that people are looking forward to The Happening more. I don't even know anyone who knows that The Hulk comes out on the same day. Anyway, I assume that people are getting tired of superhero movies, thus wanting to see The Happening more. But that's just my opinion... 

JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 2:49am

Below is an excerpt from an article on the fansite Fantasy Moguls (LINK) predicting that "The Happening" will be only a middling success (if not an outright bomb like "Lady in the Water"):

"Opening on Friday, June 13, M. Night Shyamalan’s The Happening (20th Century Fox) does not appear to pose any real threat. The mercurial filmmaker, whose last film was the dreadful Lady in the Water, faces an uphill battle with this movie, which has been (badly) shrouded in secrecy. (The problematic screenplay has been rather completely shredded by Internet movie mavens.) I do not know anyone who has seen it, and it remains unclear whether there will be advance screenings for critics. That is not a good sign.

Starring Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel, The Happening has virtually no buzz with just 2 percent Un-Aided Awareness, and the movie, which may be Shyamalan’s take on global warming, has only 54 percent Awareness. It trails The Incredible Hulk in Definite Interest with a mere 30 percent, and Happening has only a 4 percent First Choice score 18 days out.

The bottom line may be that moviegoers do not trust the Indian-born, Pennsylvania-raised auteur after a less-than-satisfying twist in his 2004 movie The Village and the disastrous Lady in the Water. It is a very safe bet that The Incredible Hulk will easily win the June 13 weekend, and Shyamalan will need positive word-of-mouth to parlay The Happening into becoming a modest hit." 

If you're interested in reading the entire article (which also predicts the remake of "Incredible Hulk" will top $60 million this weekend) here's a direct LINK...

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 6:11am
My friend wants to see this, so hopefully when we go to the movies next
week, Kung Fu Panda won't be sold out and I wont have to see this one
*fingers crossed*.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 3:24pm
Zooey Deschanel has been in two lowly rated movies that had next to no distribution so far this year -- Flakes and The Go-Getter.  Sad thing is, she's a good actress.  Her talent lately is being squandered in second-rate movies, Bridge to Terabithia and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford being two exceptions.  I saw bits of the SciFi series Tin Man, and that actually looked interesting.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 7:05am

This movie is officially "Not Screnned For Critics" but does have a review somehow, and yes, it is negative:

The Happening is at its most ridiculous when Mark Wahlberg's logic-driven science teacher, Elliot, starts talking to a pot(ted) plant in a bid to negate a potential attack of poisonous toxins.  Never mind that the plant is plastic or that it sits in one of the rooms of a model home in the middle of nowhere.

I put the (ted) in because I don't think he meant marijuana, although the wording is hilarious.  And that part of the movie itself may be hilarious...unintentionally, of course.

"You azaleas.  Why are you doing this?  Please stop spewing toxin and killing us!  I'm begging you!"

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 8:14am
I told some of the kids about this being held from the critics. While their opinion of the movie is mixed, they agreed on one thing: that "Lady In The Water" totally sucked. One girl, even, named it her least favorite movie ever.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 1:28am
Woooohooo! 25% in RT! YEAH! I'm just so happy that this movie is getting negative reviews that I don't even care anymore! Yeah!
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 2:56am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Whoah -- 75% DIS-Approval! Even I didn't think THE HAPPENING would sink so low so quickly on RT. Looks like maybe Fox should've stuck to their gunz, and refused to pre-screen it after all!
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 7:39am

Make that 88% DIS-Approval now (based on 17 reviews).  There is still time for change, so it could go back up to 20-30%...or maybe under 10%!

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 7:46am
Well Razz, I think you are right on target with this one, It is definitely not "Happening" with the critics. After this, no major studio is going to want to take a chance with him again.
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 10:03am
WOW! As of 6pm/EST the day before it opens, this thing is down to a 13% Approval Rating at RT -- About twice as bad as "Lady in the Water," which rated 24% favorable reviews -- And was still a Worst Picture nominee and the "winner" of two Razzies (M. Night as both Worst Director and Worst Supporting Actor)... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>