Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > M. Night Shyamalan's THE HAPPENING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

M. Night is Back...and BAD As Ever?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M. Night is Back...and BAD As Ever?!?
    Posted: June 12 2008 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by JoBloMovieGoer

the "winner" of two Razzies (M. Night as both Worst Director and Worst Supporting Actor)... 

Beating out Uwe Boll for Bloodrayne.

I think the Toilet Boll just might have another Razzie dodge this year.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Berrynoia

This movie is officially "Not Screnned For Critics" but does have a review somehow, and yes, it is negative:

The Happening is at its most ridiculous when Mark Wahlberg's logic-driven science teacher, Elliot, starts talking to a pot(ted) plant in a bid to negate a potential attack of poisonous toxins.  Never mind that the plant is plastic or that it sits in one of the rooms of a model home in the middle of nowhere.

I put the (ted) in because I don't think he meant marijuana, although the wording is hilarious.  And that part of the movie itself may be hilarious...unintentionally, of course.

"You azaleas.  Why are you doing this?  Please stop spewing toxin and killing us!  I'm begging you!"

Wow, and M. Night is expecting this movie to be taken seriously with a scene like that? Okay, there's the shoe-in winner for Worst Screenplay (unless "Meet Dave" is worse). Uwe Boll is getting Worst Director no matter what.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 2:45pm

Finally back from vacation, and I'm not even going to attempt to catch up. I hope you are all well.

However, if someone is going to make a movie called The Happening, wouldn't it make sense for something to happen?

And sorry as I am to have to disappoint you, moviewizguy, but The Village blew.

It did give me an idea though. The movie was essentially about a group of people who were trying to shelter themselves from the big bad world outside, until they actually ended up believing their own nonsense and ultimately imprison themselves willingly.  Maybe we could plant that sort of idea into the heads of another group of people...it would be a novel solution to what most of the country has come to call, "The Nebraska problem."

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 9:45am
The Village wasn't scary, but I didn't think it was too crappy. I found it interesting how the movie did not have any supernatural elements to it.

Originally posted by Berrynoia

I think the Toilet Boll just might have another Razzie dodge this year.

I really, really hope not...

Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 11:24am

I saw both Happening and Hulk. Hulk was a disappiontment, compared to the amazing Iron Man. Pacing was way off and the action scenes were video-game like. Happening, well, here's my review:

This film is about a family on the run when things start to happen:
People are committing suicide all along the north-eastern area of the
United Sates. What's causing this? Toxins from plants? Terrorists? The
US government? Well, if you don't know what this film is about, or
what's happening, I'll tell you. It's revealed within 10 minutes into
the movie anyway: Toxins from plants. So, right now, think about it: If
you think that sounds ridiculous, make a decision. Watch it or not.
This film isn't for everybody. It's basically you'll love it or hate
it.

No doubt is this M. Night's most funny film (not in an unintentional
way). Think of this as a B-movie as M. Night intend it to be. The film
really doesn't take itself seriously, in a way. There are some really
funny scenes in here, including one with Mark Wahlberg apologizing to a
plastic plant. So don't expect it to be all serious because of the
trailer. From the beginning credits, the film pulled me in. I was with
it. My heart was pounding. The score used in here is surprisingly
cheesy-like.

Within a few scenes into the movie, the film is quite eerie and
chilling. This film is also character driven and I liked the
characters. Obviously, the film has an environmental message. Preachy
or not, I liked the idea of plants killing humans off because we're
polluting the environment, but that's just me. You don't usually see
original ideas like these. As a Night film, it's the worse but it's
still a good movie. And no, there is not twist ending in this film so
don't expect one.

Rather than CGI effects, mindless action scenes that does nothing with
the plot, and the usual characteristics of a summer movie, "The
Happening" shifts over to the other side: It's slow paced and character
driven. The performance, whatever people said about them, were actually
good in here. Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, and John Leguizamo all do
a good job. See, most people expect them to act like people in every
other apocalyptic thriller: Scared, terrified, etc. Well, they do act
like that but not in the way you expect them to be.

People usually don't like M. Night movies because they have the wrong
expectations for it. Well, I'll tell you this: Expect a B-movie
inspired by "The Birds." Some people will go along with the idea. Some
will not. It depends the type of person you are that determines if
you're going to enjoy this film or not. As for me, I enjoyed it much
better than the usual summer fare. 7/10

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 4:15am
I saw "The Happening" last night...

And I have to say...

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Pretty decent.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 5:27am

Critics are smoking too much crack right now. I wonder: If nobody knew that M. Night directed this, would people like it?

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 2:00am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Apparently the public is turning away from THE HAPPENING in droves -- Opening weekend numbers saw a steep 44% drop off in attendance from Friday to Sunday, meaning word-of-mouth on the film must be vicious. It's also reasonable to assume that the overwhelming majority of those who attended opening night were seeing it either because of M. Night's involvement or in spite of it. Yet these same likely Shyamalan "fans" obviously told everyone they knew that the film sucked -- meaning moviewizeguy's argument does not hold water...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 1:39pm

However, in Variety's article, the title was something along the lines of:

'The Happening' outperforms expectations

Here it is: http://www.variety.com/article/VR11...egoryid=13&cs=1

The Happening costs $57 million to make and has already made $62 million world wide. Also, it was facing huge competition against the PG-13 Hulk and the family friendly Kung Fu Panda, both opening well over many theaters than Happening and the fact that Happening was an R-rated flick.

I'm not saying that box office = how good a movie is but this is basically a "You'll love it or hate it" type of film. The factor that determines that is if you'll go along with the "why" part of the film. If you don't like the idea, you'll probably not like it as much as if someone who liked the idea of it.

ANYWAY, Ebert and Roeper both gave the film positive reviews.

Budgieboy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Budgieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 7:00pm
Razzies: Official members of the F*** M Night Shaymalan Bandwagon since 2006.

I have seen in recent interviews with M Night and he has stated that movie is a B movie. Correct me if I'm wrong but since the movie is a B movie, shouldn't it contain some woeful dialog and also some of those cheesy, unintentionally hilarious sequences?

A friend in need is a bloody nuisence
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 2:21am

Originally posted by Budgieboy

Razzies: Official members of the F*** M Night Shaymalan Bandwagon since 2006.

I believe you are loading up and taking a shot at the messenger there, Budgie. And M. Night's efforts to dismiss his own films as B-movies strike me as FBSIA (Frantic Bull Stuff In Action). 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 2:22am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Critics are smoking too much crack right now. I wonder: If nobody knew that M. Night directed this, would people like it?

No

But allow me to elaborate. I'm willing to bet that most of the people who have seen it DON'T know that M. Night directed it.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 5:49am
I really want to discuss about this film but people aren't seeing it...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 9:31am

Me thinks that you protest too much, Moviewiz. The critical consensus is pretty overwhelming. Eight out of 10 gave The Happening bad reviews, while the 20% that reviewed it positively seem to have appreciated it for either light entertainment value or campiness. I'm not sure what you are finding in this one that is really worthy of discussion, but everyone else has evidently missed it.

Incidentally, Roeper's review is highly qualified, and precisely in line with the tone of most who gave it positive reviews. Ebert's review is rather baffling. He seemed to like the idea of the film, but I find it difficult to figure out just what he liked about the film itself, apart from M.Night's use of settings. When anyone is praising a film for that, there has to be some suspicion that some real effort is being made to find a reason to praise it.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 2:41pm
I think if anyone other than M. Night was writing and directing this movie, no one would have cared about it. People are just seeing it to find out if Night is back to his "Sixth Sense" goodness, or if it's strike three for him. Based on the word of mouth, it's the latter.
Budgieboy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Budgieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I believe you are loading up and taking a shot at the messenger there, Budgie.

Naww, C'mon Saturn. It took me all day to think of that one.
A friend in need is a bloody nuisence
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>