Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

M. Night Shyamalan: Can he be redeemed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M. Night Shyamalan: Can he be redeemed?
    Posted: May 13 2013 at 11:19pm
Looking through M. Night's history with us (and his history on Rotten Tomatoes) I noticed some diamonds in the rough. We all know the one truly great film he wrote and directed was "The Sixth Sense." He also did writing on "Stuart Little" and wrote/directed the film "Signs". I never seen that film, but from what I heard, many people liked it. Besides those three, his directing career has gone down the toilet...and flushed.

We all know one of his most hated films is the two time Razzie winning "Lady in The Water." The film won Worst Supporting Actor and Worst Director (I've yet to see why the supporting role for M. Night was necessary). I have to admit, "Lady in the Water" is one of those Razzie films I just COULD NOT SIT THROUGH. The movie was so boring. About 15 minutes into the film, I was like "I'm out" and decided to do my homework instead (I was 14 at the time I think.) I still can't remember what the movie was even about.

My most hated film by M. Night Shyamalan? That would have to be "The Last Airbender", the 5 time Razzie winning film (including Worst Picture of 2010). I could list about 30 or 40 things wrong with this movie, but the one big thing would be that the movie killed the reputation of the TV Series it was based on. It was a great TV show, but a lot of my friends didn't want to watch it because they were afraid it would be like this garbage of a film.

I shall close this topic with this. After almost 3 years of banishment, M. Night has a new film coming out called "After Earth" Starring Will Smith and his son. By the trailer that I've seen, I am not really impressed. 

So sound off guys, do you think M. Night Shyamalan can be redeemed even after being a Razzie repeat offender?  

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:25am
When I reviewed THE LAST AIRBENDER, I pointed out that Shyamalan is better at handling slow-paced movies. So when they announced he was making another action movie, I didn't think it was a good idea. But according to the trailer, it doesn't look that fast-paced. Also, there don't seem to be fight scenes.

No matter the flaws his scripts have, he always at least try to get into the psychology of the main characters. A movie about only 2 people on Earth surrounded by creatures seems perfect for that.

A lot people say that he should only direct, and others say that he should only write. I'd like to see a movie where he only does one of those tasks (STUART LITTLE and DEVIL don't really count),
just out of curiosity. So I was sort of dissapointed when I found out he wrote this script. But at least he co-wrote it with someone.

So... Yes. I think he could still be redeemed, as long as he listens to (constructive) criticism.

By the way, maybe this poll will help you.

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

We all know the one truly great film he wrote and directed was "The Sixth Sense." He also did writing on "Stuart Little" and wrote/directed the film "Signs". I never seen that film, but from what I heard, many people liked it. Besides those three, his directing career has gone down the toilet...and flushed.

What about UNBREAKABLE?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 10:34am
I have never seen UNBREAKABLE, but I checked out the RT rating, and it seems passable. As for the Poll, I would have to say he's "Guilty," but once I see a recent or future film of his that's any good, I may lobby to overturn the verdict and get him "Acquitted"!!   :)

I know M. Night can do great work, but the good old days of his few good titles are long gone. Maybe After Earth can redeem him, maybe not. With everything I heard about the film and the trailer I've seen, it doesn't look very good. However, I will be more than happy to eat my hat on this subject if it does turn out to be a good movie. 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:48am
Here are those POLL results (you'll have to scroll down). 

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

As for the Poll, I would have to say he's "Guilty," but once I see a recent or future film of his that's any good, I may lobby to overturn the verdict and get him "Acquitted"!!   :)
rushmore View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rushmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:52am
Hell no! He never deserved the praise he's got in the first place
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 11:04am
You didn't like THE 6TH SENSE, UNBREAKABLE or SIGNS? And STUART LITTLE?
rushmore View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rushmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 11:38am
Not really xD I liked Signs when I was like 11 years old, now I see how ridiculous his movies/gimmicks really are

My favorite M Night Shyamalan movie was Stuart Little indeed... when I was 6 years old 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 11:46am
After recently seeing Signs, I must agree with Rushmore. Signs had a great premise and the acting wasn't that bad. Still, the execution was awful and the pay off after all the build up was really stupid. If you're an alien and you're biggest weaknesses are Wood and Water... why the hell would you attack a planet covered in the stuff?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 1:00pm
LOL
We've discussed that a bunch of times over the years. Maybe this will help you.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 1:20pm
Still... these aliens are supposed to be smarter than us. They would know the environment they would be coming to and the dangers. Again, I have no idea why we were supposed to be so afraid of these things.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 3:39pm
In defense of the aliens from Signs: there's a great line from HG Wells' The War of the Worlds where it mentioned that the aliens never made anything as simple as the wheel. Later in the book, the Martians see a bicycle wheel and become fascinated by it. It's possible that the aliens in Signs never saw a door before.

As for the water, I always thought of it as similar to someone finding out they have an allergy to shellfish after biting into one. The aliens could have come from a planet without water and not known it was deadly to them.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
 Post Reply Post Reply