Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on ABDUCTION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Member DISCUSSION of ABDUCTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveThePhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member DISCUSSION of ABDUCTION
    Posted: September 24 2011 at 7:40pm
I have seen this film before and better...from the eigthies..with River Phoenix! 

And the late River Pheonix still has more talent in his dead  body than Lautner will ever have.  
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 11:11pm
OH WOW, I wasn't aware that Lautner *and* Pettyfer have the same agent?!
Maybe they are both brain-washed into believing they 
actually are The Next Big Action Heroes by that same person? Can't be coincidence, now can it, those two being the most over-rated young actors (together with Fernandez)?   

Pettyfer has already been chewed up and spit out again -- wondering now if Lautner will follow that path as well.
DistinguishedFlyer View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote DistinguishedFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 10:22am
You don't have to be much of an actor to be an action star - Schwarzenegger is the classic example. But you do need a certain presence and gravity so that the audience believes you can actually take on bad guys & defeat them. Schwarzenegger had that, and his movies (or should I say their directors) quickly learned how to highlight his good qualities & draw attention away from his deficiencies.

Lautner does not have that - at least not yet, and perhaps never will. You simply don't take him seriously enough, and it's not just because of his past movies (though they certainly don't help him out). 

I'm going to make a flat prediction right now - he will win the Razzie for this movie (and for the Twilight film). It'll be either one nomination for both films (which will guarantee a landslide win) or one lead & one supporting. And perhaps he'll win in both categories . . .  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 10:42am
Actually, last year Lautner was nominated as a Worst Actor for...you know. Will this year be different?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 2:26pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Lautner was dually nominated as Worst Actor of 2010 for his roles in both TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE and VALENTINE'S DAY (LINK). He "lost" to one of his VALENTINE'S DAY co-stars (who was dually nominated for that film and the megaton B.O. bomb KILLERS) Ashton Kutcher (LINK). 

For 2011, were Lautner to be dually nominated again, he would logically be listed in our Worst Actor (rather than Worst Supporting Actor) category for both this film and one of this year's most anticipated RAZZIE® titles, TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING WIND PART I. 
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 2:33pm
Does the review quoted below mean Lautner is just unexperienced, or bad? If so, is he just bad, or so bad he's officially a bad actor in general?

Originally posted by Vits

R.T.(3-7%):"A soulless and incompetent action/thriller not even a veteran lead actor could save,let alone Taylor Lautner".

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

For 2011, were Lautner to be dually nominated again, he would logically be listed in our Worst Actor (rather than Worst Supporting Actor) category for both this film and one of this year's most anticipated RAZZIE® titles, TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING WIND PART I.

I know, but my question was if it's a fact if he'll be listed as lead, or do you have to wait? Because Pattison was listed as lead too, but the year before was supporting.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZBerry: As I mentioned in a 2007 discussion on this Forum, Pattinson's role in the second TWLIGHT movie was marginalized (his character disappeared for almost half of the movie) while in ECLIPSE, Lautner and Pattinson had approximately equal screen time (as it appears they may have in BREAKING DAWN)... 

Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 5:22am

Time to start clearing your shelves Lautner, there may be a golden spray-painted piece of fruit coming your way (unless of course Captain OTT gets his hands on it first)...

You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 11:53am
The only thing that Lautner fans (or fans of Twilight in general) have to be thankful for is that Abduction did better than a Jason Statham film with a higher production budget  -- Why the hell does Statham keep getting lead roles when his movies never make any money?!? 
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by DistinguishedFlyer

You don't have to be much of an actor to be an action star - Schwarzenegger is the classic example. But you do need a certain presence and gravity so that the audience believes you can actually take on bad guys & defeat them. Schwarzenegger had that, and his movies (or should I say their directors) quickly learned how to highlight his good qualities & draw attention away from his deficiencies.

Lautner does not have that - at least not yet, and perhaps never will. You simply don't take him seriously enough, and it's not just because of his past movies (though they certainly don't help him out).  
Exactly! It was mentioned why Jason Statham is a lead in action movies. Because #1. He has the right look. #2. He has just enough acting/charisma and fighting skills for a director to use within the context of an action movie. Lautner has neither of these qualities. He can't act his way out of a wet paper bag, and even with the ripped body that he has, he still looks like a high schooler. Statham has a tough guy appeal and he will beat the living day lights out of everyone around him, and that's why he's the current day action hero. That and getting the torch passed to him by Stallone in "The Expendables" doesn't hurt either, but then again, that's not saying much of him as a dramatic actor. 
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 5:09pm
Well,Lautner does have some charisma.But I see that mostly in real life instead of his movies.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 5:17pm
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 8:49pm
Schwarzenegger has more talent than people give him credit for. In the right role, he was spectacular. He made an absolutely chilling villain in The Terminator and he was an awesome, very likable hero in T2. Lautner has played the same role his entire career and will play the same role through the rest of his (probably short) career. Once his looks are gone, there is nothing to keep him in the spotlight. If he had his same level of talent and looked like Yul Brynner, do you think we would ever have heard of him? Of course not!

Originally posted by DistinguishedFlyer

I'm going to make a flat prediction right now - he will win the Razzie for this movie (and for the Twilight film). It'll be either one nomination for both films (which will guarantee a landslide win) or one lead & one supporting. And perhaps he'll win in both categories . . .  

Schwarzenegger also has more talent than people give him credit for. In the right role he was spectacular. He made an absolutely chilling villain in The Terminator and he was an awesome very likable hero in T2. Lautner has played the same role his entire career and will play the same role through the rest of his probably short career. Once the looks are gone, there is nothing to keep him in the spotlight. If he had the same level of talent and looked like Yul Brenner do you think we would have heard of him? Of course not!
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Lord Naseby

Schwarzenegger has more talent than people give him credit for. In the right role, he was spectacular. He made an absolutely chilling villain in The Terminator and he was an awesome, very likable hero in T2.
But that plays back to what a GOOD director who knows how to properly use Ar-nold can do. James Cameron saw that Arnold worked best as a big, menacing figure who barely ever speaks, and that is why it worked so well in the "Terminator" movies. Just have Arnold walking around with anger or a blank expression on his, and the few times that he does speak, make it catchy. It worked for Arnold, but it doesn't work for every single person who appears in an action movie, especially when they are a teenager with barely any talent.
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 5:23am
Can anyone who's seen this answer a question: Does Lautner know in the film that he's adopted? It was bugging me because I thought he was Native American, while Maria Bello and Jason Isaacs are white.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I think I read in a review that he first learns he was adopted at the beginning of the film...  

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 10:48am
I agree. Not even a director who had the talent of Hitchcock, Spielberg, and Welles all infused into him could make an actor like Lautner look good!  

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

Originally posted by Lord Naseby

Schwarzenegger has more talent than people give him credit for. In the right role, he was spectacular. He made an absolutely chilling villain in The Terminator and he was an awesome, very likable hero in T2.
But that plays back to what a GOOD director who knows how to properly use Ar-nold can do. James Cameron saw that Arnold worked best as a big, menacing figure who barely ever speaks, and that is why it worked so well in the "Terminator" movies. Just have Arnold walking around with anger or a blank expression on his, and the few times that he does speak, make it catchy. It worked for Arnold, but it doesn't work for every single person who appears in an action movie, especially when they are a teenager with barely any talent.
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 12:23am
Lautner is not Native American. He just pretends to be in Twilight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>