Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > EXPENDABLES, TOO!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Member DISCUSSION of EXTENDABLES, TOO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member DISCUSSION of EXTENDABLES, TOO
    Posted: August 14 2012 at 9:39am
OKAY, WE KNOW -- a WHOLE LOTTA 'FAN BOYS' AROUND the WORLD BOUGHT into SLY's CLAIM THAT the OVER-the-TOP, RIDICULOUSLY CAMPY DIALOGUE and VIOLENT ACTION SEQUENCES in the ORIGINAL EXPENDABLES WERE DONE "ON PURPOSE," and THAT SLY and HIS FELLOW AGING WAR-MONGERS MADE the FILM as a PARODY. KNOWING SLY as WELL as WE THINK WE DO, WE'RE ALL-BUT-CERTAIN THAT WAS JUST a CLEVER "AFTER MARKET" MOVE to SELL an OTHERWISE CLUNKY, DIM-WITTED PAINT-by-NUMBERS ACTION FLICK. 

BUT AS a MARKETING PLOY, CLAIMING IT WAS FUNNY on PURPOSE DID WORK -- EXPENDABLES #1 WAS a WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE HIT (LINK). IT WAS ALSO, LEST WE FORGET, a RAZZIE® NOMINEE for WORST DIRECTOR (LINK)...

SO NOW WE HAVE the INEVITABLE EXPENDABLES #2. THIS TIME, WHEN IT's FUNNY, IT IS on PURPOSE. BUT THIS CAST of CAST-OFF 80s ACTION STARS (and RE-CYCLED 1980s RAZZIE® REPEAT OFFENDERS) CAN'T DO FUNNY IF THEIR CAREERS DEPENDED ON IT. 

WE ARE, OF COURSE, OPEN to DIVERGENT POINTS of VIEW. 

BUT IF YOU RILLY LOVE THIS KINDA CRAP...WHAT on EARTH ARE YOU DOING HANGING AROUND THIS WEBSITE?? 

TO CHECK OUT the FOTO FUNNY on THIS FILM, CLICK HERE... 

FOR MORE INFO on the FILM (REVIEWS, OFFICIAL SITE, GROSSES and CETERA, CLICK HERE...  

TO EXPRESS YER THAWTS on EXPENDABLES, TOO...JUST HIT the "POST REPLY" BUTTON BELOW and to the LEFT... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 9:54am
Ah, silly Sly and friends. Don't they know that men moved on from violence to *this?:

In all seriousness though, when the first Expendables came out, I wasn't really excited to have it as a Razzie contender, mainly because I thought there were way worse choices at the time (*cough*Furry Vengeance*cough*). 

This time, however, I'm for it because it just does not look like an improvement over the first one. My only gripe is that I feel a little bad about considering Sly for Worst Actor since his son died this year --but I'll try to not think about that.  

*I'm actually not joking about that. Look here in this Official Wikipedia Page to see for yourselves.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 10:11am
The first one had the novelty of uniting about a dozen 80s action stars -- but that's over now. The only really good thing the first one had was the hand-to-hand combat*. Can they improve it? I don't really see how. 

I predict this will be nominated for several Razzies, including Worst Screen Ensemble.

Originally posted by oiram

My only gripe is that I feel a little bad about considering Sly for Worst Actor since his son died this year --but I'll try to not think about that.

I think that should only apply to the deceased. As in Sly's son shouldn't be nominated (even if he could be). But Sly himself? I say, go for it!   

* The concensus was that the explosions in the first film looked lame.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 12:52pm
We're a bit short on RAZZIE contenders this year, our crop isn't as juicy as the preceding half decade or so. That's why I say this should be considered (and maybe even nominated) if it gets less than a 55% approval rating at Rotten T (or below 55% at Metascore). It's exactly the same deal as with 2000 and 2002, when many RAZZIE contenders had average (rather than negative) reviews. 

I remember The Expendables 1. It was #40 on the Bottom 40 Films of 2010. Simply bad, but could've been a lot worse. If the negative reviews on The Odd Life of Timothy Green keep piling up, I'll have my eye on it, ready for you to add it as the 2nd worst new film this week.

To oiram: I have to mention that I look down upon the Bronies fad. In fact, I still think the Transformers franchise isn't half as bad as My Little Pony. MLP:FiM is made for girls ages 6 and under for (static)ake! I can understand Michael Jackson in Ike's body watching Friendship is Magic, but college age men?! Give me a break!

EDIT: Ooops! it was oiram, THEN the page about Pony fandom, THEN Vits made his first post this topic; I got it backwards!
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 1:14pm
I meant that in a "adding insult to injury" sort of way...  

Originally posted by Vits

My only gripe is that I feel a little bad about considering Sly for Worst Actor since his son died this year --but I'll try to not think about that.

I think that should only apply to the deceased. As in Sly's son shouldn't be nominated (even if he could be). But Sly himself? I say, go for it!

Don't you mean "To oiram"? Vits didn't say anything about Bronies.

Originally posted by GTAHater767

To Vits: I have to mention that I look down upon the Bronies fad. In fact, I still think the Transformers franchise isn't half as bad as My Little Pony. MLP:FiM is made for girls ages 6 and under for (static)ake! I can understand Michael Jackson in Ike's body watching Friendship is Magic, but college age men?! Give me a break!

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 1:26pm
I know! The thing is, I don't think we should add more things to the list of reasons why someone shouldn't be nominated. It's different to nominate a dead person, because it insults their memory. But nominating someone who went through a tragedy is not the same. Not to mention that he filmed most (if not all) of this movie before his son's death, so if his performance/directing/script is bad enough, then his son shouldn't carry the burden. Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Sly and his family.

Edit: I think this proves my point.  

I meant that in a "adding insult to injury" sort of way.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 4:19pm
To Vits: And if we splash RAZZBerry jelly over his work as he tries to cope with his son's death via this film, then it may or may not be defiling any grave, but I imagine it would most likely dishearten or discourage him. Alas, this discussion will only be relevant if The Expendables 2 underpasses 55% at Rotten T and Metacritic.

To oiram: Here's a fact about me to prove where my priorities are in terms of dignity and embarrassment. I'd rather be seen wearing nothing but socks and a "Dry 24/7" omutsu by 55,555 people than be seen watching My Little Pony or any of its branch-offs by 5 people.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 4:26pm
To GTAHater767: I got your point. But I never said "go watch" MY LITTLE PONY...   

Originally posted by GTAHater767

To oiram: Here's a fact about me to prove where my priorities are in terms of dignity and embarrassment. I'd rather be seen wearing nothing but socks and a "Dry 24/7" omutsu by 55,555 people than be seen watching My Little Pony or any of its branch-offs by 5 people.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 1:01pm
R.T. numbers have been going up and down and up and down. So far, it seems that, worst case scenario, it's on the same level as the first one.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The original EXPENDABLES, with some 192 reviews compiled, currently has a surprisingly flattering 41% Positive RT Rating (LINK). The sequel, with only 26 reviews (as of 3:30pm/PST on Wednesday, August 15) has a shockingly high 62% Positive RT Rating (LINK). Given that almost none of the reviews collated so far are from truly top-ranked crix, it's reasonable to assume the final numbers on #2 will be closer to those of the previous entry in the franchise... 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 1:25pm
I didn't look forward to the first film when it came out 2 years ago. But watching it a few weeks later, I really, really enjoyed it. 

I am going to assume this sequel will be just as much fun to watch.   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: And may I assume, MWG, that you saw the first film buying into Sly's claim that EXPENDABLES #1 was made to be laughed at and enjoyed as "camp"??  If so, you were duped -- Stallone hasn't got a single funny bone in his body. It was after the first film screened to derisive laughter that the concept of marketing that film as being "self-depricating" was hatched. 

It has been my experience that most film-makers who get audiences laughing by accident are incapable of doing something funny on purpose. Therefor, the likelihood of EXPENDABLES #2 being anything but a leaden fiasco is almost nil...  

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 5:38pm
I know that it's RT rating is going to fall, but wouldn't it be hilarious if this ended up pulling a Fast Five?
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 6:03pm
SchumacherH8ter: Damnit, you got to that joke first.

FYI: ParaNorman is currently at 79% based on 24 reviews, meanwhile, The Odd Life of Timothy Green has fallen to a 41% based on 58 reviews and I'll have my eye on the remake of Sparkle as it still doesn't have any reviews! Will Timothy be GREEN enough to be "one of ours"? Is Sparkle not being pre-screened for critics?
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 7:37am
Technically this can't "pull a FAST FIVE", because that only applies to 4th> installments.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 1:55pm
Current R.T. Score(55-60%): "Taut, violent, and suitably self-deprecating. It gives classic action fans everything they can reasonably expect from a star-studded shoot-'em-up... for better and for worse". 

Sounds to me like it's not Worst Picture material, but it could still be nominated for Worst Ensemble.
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Vits

Technically this can't "pull a FAST FIVE", because that only applies to 4th> installments.
Don't you mean it applies to 5th installments?

Also, ParaNorman and The Odd Life of Timothy GREEN are still Fresh and Rotten, respectively. Meanwhile, Sparkle may not be as half-bad as I originally thought as it sits on 78%.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 11:37pm
I'm back from this. I had a lot for fun then I probably should have. The best scene was Chuck Norris' intro. Entertainment grade: A. Quality grade: B.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>