Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > THE THREE STOOGES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MEMBER DISCUSSION of 3 STOOGES...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MEMBER DISCUSSION of 3 STOOGES...
    Posted: April 15 2012 at 8:47am
Well it's officially a hit -- it made about 18 million over the weekend, and more or less beat it's original box office predictions (as well as out-grossing Cabin in the Woods).

I won't be surprised if we get a sequel -- with Shemp!  

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 8:30pm
Excuse me? $18 million now constitutes a hit? That is going to come as incredibly good news for Uwe Boll. LOL
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 7:37am

It had a production budget of 30 million, making 18 million more or less makes it a hit.

Plus comparing it to Uwe Boll is dumb, when his films (when they were released in theaters), would barely make 5 million on there opening weekends.

Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 10:34pm
Same story with 1992's 'The Bodyguard' (big hit with a massive number of Razzie nominations)...  

Originally posted by whatsthepoint

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You are forgetting that being "a hit" does notinoculate a movie from RAZZIE® Consideration -- Both TRANNIES #3 and TWILIGHT #4 were huge international box office hits, and both were also nominated for multiple 2011 dis-honors...

You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 8:06am
But the MetaCritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores are both higher for Three Stooges than they were for Twilight: Breaking Dawn or Dark of the Moon...  

Originally posted by whatsthepoint

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You are forgetting that being "a hit" does notinoculate a movie from RAZZIE® Consideration -- Both TRANNIES #3 and TWILIGHT #4 were huge international box office hits, and both were also nominated for multiple 2011 dis-honors...
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 8:54pm
Review time. I just finished watching this and it's not as bad as it could have been, but that doesn't make it good.

While the film is mostly unfunny, the scene with the Jersey Shore douches are kinda funny. Mainly because I enjoyed seeing them getting beaten. In addition, the three leads give semi-inspired performances. Sure, they annoyed me, but at least they're trying, which is more than I can say for the rest of the cast. Also, at the very end, Kate Upton wears a bikini. That may seem shallow, but you gotta appreciate the small things.

Most of the actors seem to only be here for a paycheck. Jane Lynch shows up for a paycheck and only a paycheck. That being said, she does the best with her work. Which is more than can be said of Larry David as Sister Mary-Mengele. That's right, like Josef Mengele. Fun fact: the original Stooges were Ashkenazi Jews. That's not only creepy joke in the movie.

At one point, we see a lion's nads. Yes, really. It's not as bad as the cricket rape from Mirror Mirror, but stuff like that doesn't belong in a PG-rated movie. There's one spectacularily gross scene involving babies. They use them as water guns, and I don't want to get into too many details about it. But, the worst part of the movie was Sofia Vergara. Sure, she's hot as Hell, but her performance is crappy.

That being said, the only Razzie nod, I can see this getting is Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel. Grade: C-

Next-up: Gulliver's Travels '10!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 12:23pm
I just saw it. I think it should be nominated for Worst Remake (if it counts), but nothing else. I know for a lot of people Worst Remake/Sequel and Worst Picture are the same, but I'm going with the "It's bad enough only among the remakes" card. And while some of the supporting performances are uninspired, none of them really stands out. And Worst Ensemble is out of the question because the 3 leads are good enough to save it. Chris Diamantopoulos in particular stands out.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 7:21pm
Well, I wouldn't have expected this.  The final critics total for The Three Stooges on Rotten Tomatoes is a whopping 52%, while the Metacritic score is 56.  This seems rosy compared to the IMDb rating of 5.1, considering IMDb scores not only feature theater-goers' rating, but are also pumped up by the people who worked on the movie plus whoever the studios pay to pump up scores.  But the biggest eyeopener is Box Office Mojo, showing a budget of $30 million and a worldwide take of $57 million.  It's doubtful there will be a sequel, but it probably will make money. 

Although I like the Stooges, their form of physical comedy is only funny when the behavior is considered ridiculous - no one acts like that.  Unfortunately, although no one does Three Stooges moves on each other, people do assault and abuse each other.  So I choose to set it aside, knowing that although it is funny to me, it is NOT at all funny to people who have lived that.  Besides, it wasn't mainly the abuse I'd laugh at, but the situations they would either find themselves in or, more likely, put themselves in and all the people they would purposefully or unknowingly disrespect along the way that made it funny for me.  Fortunately, I can get all that, and at a much higher calibre too, from the Marx Brothers, without the physically violent gags. 

What's more, I'm concerned about whether they actually captured the real Stooges, since it's supposed to be somewhat biographical.  From the accounts I've read, they weren't all that happy.  I recall also reading how Moe Howard in his latter days cared so much about his fans that he worked to answer his fan mail every day.  With the physically violent jokes and the kind of people they actually were, there are some deep questions that could be addressed, and it doesn't seem they were really addressed at all.

But that's all beside the point as far as this film goes.  It apparently isn't bad enough for us.  We have other films to poke, slap around and punch. . . .

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 9:52am
Do I agree with its Razzie nomination? Skip to 05:15 to find out:

Any thoughts?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123