Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on CAPTAIN AMERICA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Member Discussion of CAPTAIN AMERICA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member Discussion of CAPTAIN AMERICA
    Posted: July 08 2011 at 7:45pm
I'm not saying "Captain America" will be a runaway hit that will shatter records, but I think it will do well for itself, probably better than "Green Lantern" did.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Considering it reportedly cost more than CAPTAIN to make, and LANTERN has struggled to top a $100 million domestic gross (B.O. MoJo LINK), you're not setting a terribly high bar here...  

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 7:16am
I know I'm going to enjoy this more than Green Lantern!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:38am
I'm finding it hard to believe both movies were made for $300 million, considering "GL" was bloated with CGI from start to finish. I was talking more like $80-100 million opening weekend for "Cap", unlike "GL" which opened with under $60 million. 

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Considering it reportedly cost more than CAPTAIN to make, and LANTERN has struggled to top a $100 million domestic gross (B.O. MoJo LINK), you're not setting a terribly high bar here...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:39am

All I can say about this film, is that (despite BO figures being higher) it's probably gonna meet the same fate as its 1990 predecessor...  

Sorry Cap'n A -- it's not our fault your movies are flawed.
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:47am
You mean it's going to become an "urban legend" that's only viewed on late night TV once or twice a year?  

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

All I can say about this film, is that (despite BO figures being higher) it's probably gonna meet the same fate as its 1990 predecessor.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 12:22pm
I think the real bottomline question is, even if this movie were flawless and entertaining, would it find an audience? Reviving Captain America in 2011 has all the relevance of Copperhead or Captain Celluloid.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 12:48pm
I think some people are confused here. I'm under the impression many posters here think Captain America was created in the 1930s/1940s, disappeared from comics for decades, and only now Marvel is bringing him back. Um, no, far from it. Cap was brought back into comic books in the 1960s, the same time Spider-Man, Ironman, X-Men, and all the major Marvel players were invented. Also, this movie is the final set-up for next year's "Avengers", which Cap is also a part of, so it's not like they are pulling this movie out of thin air, there's a reason for it. It's the final set-up for the huge payoff (yes, the "pay" part is intended).

I think what people here are really making fun of this for is the old school movie serial feel of the movie. I'm sure the studio heads were saying the same thing 30 years ago when "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was pitched to them.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 3:11pm
Maybe that's why this one is the only movie with the word "Avenger" in the title: maybe they think people won't recognize his name otherwise. But I doubt it. I've played a few Marvel crossover video-games, and CAPTAIN AMERICA has appeared in most of them. There are many dated characters (possibly including him) but that doesn't mean he's forgotten.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 3:34pm
I don't think CA is necessary "forgotten," I just think he has become irrelevant. Even if you would go out and ask 100 comic book geeks who their half dozen favorite super heroes are, Captain America wouldn't make a lot of lists.  And the sale for Raiders of the Lost Ark back in the 70's might have been an interesting presentation, but the one overwhelming thing it had going for it was a collaboration of two of the hottest young filmmakers in Hollywood. What does this film have?
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 6:17pm
I doubt there will be anyone hiding inside a refrigerator so survive a nuclear bomb test in this movie, that's for sure!  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

And the sale for Raiders of the Lost Ark back in the 70's might have been an interesting presentation, but the one overwhelming thing it had going for it was a collaboration of two of the hottest young filmmakers in Hollywood. What does this film have?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 7:15am
Thor has the best weekend for a comic book movie this year, and that was 68 million. I don't think for a second that Captain America's opening weekend is going to be higher than 70 million -- at best it will between 40 and 60 million. 

Also, clarify what I said earlier, I know I'm going to enjoy Green Lantern more than Captain America.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 6:17pm
1. I think it's going to be close to $60-70 million, because Harry Potter fans may cool off by then.  

2. You don't know that for sure, dude. "Cap" might surprise you!  

Originally posted by whatsthepoint

1. Thor has the best weekend for a comic book movie this year, and that was 68 million. I don't think for a second that Captain America's opening weekend is going to be higher than 70 million -- at best it will between 40 and 60 million

2. Also, clarify what I said earlier, I know I'm going to enjoy Green Lantern more than Captain America.
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 12:27am
Wow, never really expected a forum for Captain America (after the success of both Thor and X-Men: First Class), it's probably because Chris Evans stars as the titular hero, and he was in those awful Fantastic 4 films?  
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 2:52pm
Wow.... It's currently at 62% on RT... link

I really thought this was going to be one of ours....
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Vheid

Wow.... It's currently at 62% on RT... link

I really thought this was going to be one of ours....
I don't know why everyone was claiming this was going to be one of our's. It might not be great, but I doubt it will be in the same league as "Catwoman".
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 3:23pm
I never thought it would be in the same league as Catwoman... I thought it was going to be in the same league as Pearl Harbour....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>