Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Member DISCUSSION & Add'l INFO on MAN ON A LEDGE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MEMBER DISCUSSION of MAN ON A LEDGE...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MEMBER DISCUSSION of MAN ON A LEDGE...
    Posted: February 06 2012 at 8:32am
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 4:40am
Just saw this trash. Here's my view:  

Sam Worthington is very Razzie-worthy. He's not really acting in this movie. He sounds like he's just reading the script. Worthington isn't even trying to hide his Australian accent. Elizabeth Banks is miscast as a cop who's negotiating with Worthington's protagonist. Banks does not sound like a cop at all. Genesis Rodriguez (I think that's her name) is just a wooden as Sam Worthington. The only (and obvious) reason Rodriguez is cast is because she's hot. Jamie Bell is also unconvincing as a burglar. 

Pablo F. Fenjves's screenplay is half-baked, and that's describing it nicely. It's full of dialogue that's either laughable (it's supposed to be serious) or just plain boring. The screenplay is something a six-year-old with a crayon could come up with. 

Asger Leth's direction sucks. He didn't seem to care that Sam Worthington's Australian accent keeps sticking out. Leth didn't even care that the supporting cast kept displaying wooden acting. 

Unless there are movies worse than this one in 2012, I'd say it's a likely Razzie contender!    

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 12:18pm

Dun-Ida: That's not the only time Sam Worthington has tried to hide his Aussie accent, take a look at Call of Duty: Black Ops.

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 1:43pm
The only movie that Worthington doesn't hide his accent is Rogue, which took place in Australia. It's a good movie that got its release screwed over because it looked like Primeval, which had a forum here.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 5:42pm

SchumacherH8ter: BTW, when will your review of Bucky Larson be up on the forum?

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 6:47pm
I'm actually going to release my review schedule sometime tonight.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 1:24pm
I just saw it.

For your consideration: Worst Picture, Actor (Sam Worthington), Supporting Actress (Elizabeth Banks (not for THE HUNGER GAMES)) and Screenplay. Not Worst Director. Although Asger Leth clearly had some trouble directing actors, he made a few sequences truly suspenseful.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 1:09pm
Skip to 05:57.

Thoughts?
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 1:04am
I agree with most of your points. Sam Worthington showed the same behaviour in Wrath of the titans, it's like he is reciting his lines without any emotion. I don't feel anything watching him, no joy, no excitement, no sadness, nothing.
About Banks though: I didn't really think of her as playing a cop, more of a psychologist or profiler. I don't think her portrayal is the problem, more like the way the character acts and what she says are. When he counts down for the first time, she keeps way to quiet to be believable, and after he doesn't even jump, she should have known he's just pretending and something else is going on.
FYC: WA for Sam Worthington for both Man On A Ledge and Wrath Of The Titans

Originally posted by Dun-Ida

Sam Worthington is very Razzie-worthy. He's not really acting in this movie. He sounds like he's just reading the script. Worthington isn't even trying to hide his Australian accent. Elizabeth Banks is miscast as a cop who's negotiating with Worthington's protagonist. Banks does not sound like a cop at all.

Pablo F. Fenjves's screenplay is half-baked, and that's describing it nicely. It's full of dialogue that's either laughable (it's supposed to be serious) or just plain boring. The screenplay is something a six-year-old with a crayon could come up with.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 5:36pm
To wet people's appetite while I work on my multi-part Dark Knight Rises review (first part for non-spoilers, second part is going to be completely white other than the grade) I'm posting a little review for this pile of crap. Since I'm linking this to my Twitter account, I should explain how my reviews work to my followers who aren't forum members. The first paragraph is devoted to things that I feel work about the movie, the second is about things that aren't good, and the third is for extremely horrible parts of the movie.

The first half of the movie is genuinely suspenceful. The first time I watched this was on a crappy bootleg that stopped working halfway through. I thought that the critics were giving it a hard time after this. When I eventually finished it a few weeks later, I realized that they were right. And for a crappy action movie, the direction is surprisingly good. Asger Leth has a pretty good eye for action for someone whose only previous film was a documentary.

In general, the acting is crap. For starters, Elizabeth Banks is hilariously miscast as a detective who has a tragedy in her past. She's all wrong for the role. According to imdb, Amy Adams was sought after and considering how she has three Oscar nods, she may have made this work. Jamie Bell is annoying as Sam Worthington's brother and Genesis Rodriguez is on hand because she's hot and that's the only reason. And Edward Burns needs to realize that his strength is writing, not acting.

The script is an absolute mess. The characters are absolute morons, especially when Worthington tells Banks (a detective remember) that the ring that Bell proposes to Rodriguez with was stolen from David Englander. And she does nothing about it. And speaking of Worthington, he's as bad as usual here. I find it hilarious that his best performance was as a robot in Terminator: Salvation. He's not as bad here as he was in the Clash Of The Titans movies, but that's not saying much. Just as bad is Ed Harris, who, as a four time Oscar nominee, shouldn't have to be compared to Sam Worthington! He plays corrupt executive guy, David Englander and it's obvious that he's only here for the money.

Grade: D+
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 2:07pm
For which categories do you think it should be nominated?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 7:28pm
Just Worst Actor for Sam Worthington, also for Wrath Of The Titans.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 3:38pm
I dunno guys, it only got a 40 on Metacritic, a 6.6 on IMDb, and a 32% critic's rating on RT.  As much as you feel this movie is bad, it doesn't seem it's bad enough.  The only reason this movie will appear on the ballot is because Sam Worthington also starred in the wretched Wrath of the Titans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12