Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > STEP UP #4 a.k.a. Over-Stepping Their Welcome
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Member Discussion of STEP UP #4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member Discussion of STEP UP #4
    Posted: July 18 2012 at 8:45am
IZ IT JUST US, or IZ DOING an UNNECESSARY, UNWANTED, UNCALLED FOR 4th ENTRY in THIS FRANCHISE the LIVING DEFINITION of "WASTE of EVERYONE's TIME"??  

IT'z NOT LIKE ANYONE WAS ANXIOUSLY AWAITING YET ANOTHER MOVIE ABOUT STREET DANCING, THIS TIME SET in MIAMI. NOR IZ IT LIKE ANYONE ACTUALLY REMEMBERS a DAMN THING ABOUT ANY of the THREE PREVIOUS STEP UP MOVIES (EXCEPT THAT THEY ALL APPARENTLY WERE PROFITABLE - B.O. MoJo LINK). 

SO HERE WE ARE in JULY of 2012, SIX YEARS AFTER the FIRST (and HIGHEST-GROSSING) STEP UP MOVIE, ASKING THAT MOST BASIC of RAZZIE® QUERIES... 

WHY DOES THIS EVEN EXIST?!?!?   

FEEL FREE to TRY and ANSWER the QUESTION BELOW...

TO CHECK OUT Ye Olde Head RAZZberry's FOTO FUNNY for THIS FILM, 

FOR ADDITIONAL INFO on the FILM (REVIEWS, GROSSES, PROMOTIONAL STUFF and CETERA) 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 9:10am
I went on a little rant about this movie on Twitter yesterday morning.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since Forum Members obviously enjoy reading your commentary, could you please either link to the Tweet and/or cut-and-paste the text of it below??  

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 10:31am
The basic gist of my rant was that this looked incredibly dumb and that it's arguably a regurgitation of all those "save the rec center" movies from the '80s. It may not be the same exact thing (it's about saving their neighborhood) but it's still similar enough to warrant the comparison.  

I'll add a link to my Twitter account in my signature...  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 10:51am
Although this is one of the rare franchises where each installment gets better reviews than the one before, none of the STEP UP movies have actually been good (the 3rd/best-reviewed one so far was average at best). I haven't seen any of them, nor STOMP THE YARD nor YOU GOT SERVED. I might if somneone dared to say that they're not all the same thing.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 11:56am
Adam G. Sevani is apparently the "mascot" of the STEP UP movies now he's now appeared three of them, despite their plots basically having no relation to one another. 

Is he a possible Supporting Actor contender?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: If more than a handful of people from among our Voting Members actually bothered to see a STEP UP movie, maybe Sevani would be a contender. But with all the other crud out there to choose from this year, STEP UP: REVOLUTION looks likeliest have a shot at Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel (given that this is now the 4th movie in the franchise and none of them, as Vits notes above, have actually been any good)...  

Worst Career Achievement: Kim Jong-Un and the GOP
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 1:42pm
I highly doubt that. Having seen all of the Step Up films (I'm a fan), Sevani is the shining light in parts 2 and 3, although the marketing never really focuses on him. He gives an endearing performance, so it's hard to really hate the guy.

I probably already stated this when Step Up 3 came out, but I'll just reiterate it again: We all know the Step Up movies aren't really good or original, but that's not the point. The filmmakers know what their audiences want to see: The amazing choreographed dance sequences. So it must be said that the Step Up sequels are more like excuses to show dancing scenes for 90 minutes. I enjoy the Step Up films from other dance films for mainly one reason: These films know that they aren't high art, but they have a lot of fun with the predictable storylines they must tell. Unlike other dance flicks, these films don't take themselves seriously. As long as you see these films for the dancing, I doubt you'll be complaining about anything once the credits roll. HOWEVER, like everything else, the Step Up movies will begin to grow old. Even as one of the few supporters of the franchise, I feel as if Step Up 4 should be the last film that should be made.

On another note, I'd like to focus on the 3D: Back when I saw Step Up 3, I noted how amazing the use of its 3D was. To this day, it's still one of the very few films (including Avatar and Hugo) that utilized 3D to the fullest. Director Jon Chu (sadly missing from the director's chair for Step Up 4) knows how to stage a scene for the 3D to work. Even in scenes where characters talk, you see depth that you won't see in many other films that were shot/converted into 3D. Hopefully, Step Up 4 will utilize its 3D well.  

Originally posted by oiram

Adam G. Sevani is apparently the "mascot" of the STEP UP movies now he's now appeared three of them, despite their plots basically having no relation to one another. 

Is he a possible Supporting Actor contender?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 2:16pm
oiram, I think the reason he's the mascot is because Channing Tatum's an actual star now.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 2:46pm
@MWG: Those things may be true, but the saga still lacks whatever it is that the FOOTLOOSE remake had, because that one was very well-received.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

oiram, I think the reason he's the mascot is because Channing Tatum's an actual star now.
Tatum and his wife Jenna Dewan are the only actors who have become stars in the whole franchise!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 6:25pm
Does Jenna Dewan really count as a star? If she's brought up at all, she's usually mentioned as Channing Tatum's wife and nothing else. The only movies I've heard of that she's been in are the original Step Up, Tamara (a really bad horror movie), The Grudge 2 (a really bad horror sequel), and American Virgin. I've only heard of that last because of this: http://www.agonybooth.com/video449_American_Virgin_2009_Movie_Rob_Schneider.aspx
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:13am
Well, Tatum's an A-lister and Dewan's a B-lister.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 9:02pm
As a fan of Step Up's 2 and 3, I was looking forward to Revolution. As it turns out, the series is starting to show its staleness. I hope this is the last Step Up film, because the filmmakers can only milk this series for so long. This 4th film is entertaining, for what it's worth, but it isn't as exciting to watch as the previous two films. The dancing sequences are great, as expected, and the 3D is put to good use (like it was in Step Up 3). However, it lacks the charm the 2nd and 3rd films had, mostly due to the lack of Moose. 

Overall, if you like the Step Up films, there's no reason you won't enjoy this one. In fact, the whole 1% vs. the bottom 99% plot element is interesting to see. My rating: 6/10 

Note: There is one dance sequence that I'm sure will disturb people, due to the recent movie theater shooting in Colorado. It involves smoke grenades and people covered in gas masks and armor.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 9:43am
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 11:30am
It's weird to see Roger Ebert bothering to review this film, since he never reviewed any of the previous Step Up movies.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 7:03pm
R.T. (around 25%): "It treads familiar territory by surrounding its lively and kinetic dance sequences with a predictably generic story". Considering how it's bad even by the franchise standars (remember how passable the 3rd one was), I'd say this has a better chance of being nominated for a Razzie.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 4:28pm
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 3:41am
This flick is just an excuse to display some dance routines. As a movie it is weak. There are several reasons for this: 

The acting is bland. It reminds me of The Twilight Saga's Kristen Stewart. They mostly display neutral facial expressions. It's often difficult to know what emotions the characters have. Are they sad, p!$$ed off or a combination of both? Among the actors worthy of a nomination: 

Worst Actor: Ryan Guzman
Worst Actress: Kathryn McCormick
Worst Supporting Actress: Mia Michaels 

With so many expressionless actors the entire cast deserves a nomination for Worst Screen Ensemble. 

The movie itself should get nominated for Worst Picture and Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel. 

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
 Post Reply Post Reply