Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > GENERAL DISCUSSION of 2013 RELEASES...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of 2013 RELEASES LIST...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 104>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of 2013 RELEASES LIST...
    Posted: July 09 2013 at 12:12pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The problem isn't just that studios perpetually "recycle old ideas," it's that they start with ideas the core movie-going audience is unfamiliar with (meaning the potential audience isn't going to be large to begin with) and they spend a fortune while turning off even more movie-goers by "re-imagining" the story so that anyone who does know the source material is going to be pissed off by the new version. That's practically a formula for guaranteeing empty theatres across America. Yet they've now made these same mistakes (and repeatedly experienced the same lack of success) with DICK TRACY, WILD WILD WEST, LAND OF THE LOST, BEWITCHED, DARK SHADOWS, and now LONE RANGER (to name but a few). 

Perhaps the notion that Hollywood is even capable of "learning a lesson" is the real problem... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 12:20pm
I think maybe after the disasters of "John Carter," "Prince of Persia" and now "Lone Ranger" maybe Disney has learned their lesson about spending 200 Million Dollars on a film people will not see because they don't know what that film is even about -- or because people who do know the source material (books, TV Shows, Games, etc.) know it's going to suck.

I don't necessarily think screenwriters and studio executives have run out of ideas, per say. But I do think they are either very greedy and just want to make money, or they are incredibly lazy. Maybe both? Either way, those type of people in Hollywood need to go. 

Don't worry, if Shannen Doherty taught us anything in her short TV career it's this: Anyone can be Replaced!  

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 1:33pm
I wouldn't put BEWITCHED in that list because:

A) The show is still popular to this day (at least compared to others of the era).

B) The movie was outside of the universe of the show, so it wasn't trying to re-imagine it.
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

They've now made this same mistake (and repeatedly experienced the same lack of success) on DICK TRACY, WILD WILD WEST, LAND OF THE LOST, BEWITCHED, DARK SHADOWS, and now LONE RANGER (to name but a few).
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 3:25pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Don't know if I buy your theory about BEWITCHED not belonging on the list, but wanted to share a "brainstorm" I had recently about one of the funnier jokes they "missed" when they "remade/re-imagined" BEWITCHED: I thought it would've been hilarious if, halfway through the movie, they simply recast Will Farrell with some other, similarly named actor, but never addressed the change in any way. Fans of the old series would have immediately gotten the reference, and it certainly would have created major word-of-mouth once the picture opened (especially if it hadn't been revealed before the film was released)... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 3:27pm
I have an even better idea: How about if Will Ferrell wasn't in Bewitched at all?    

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 12:59pm
THE HOST has been chosen as the Worst Movie New on DVD this week. I'd like to point out that DEAD MAN DOWN and TEMPTATION have also been released. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As there is no major "Major RAZZIE title" debuting on video next week, I was planning to name Tyler Perry's TEMPTATION as our Left-Over Worst New Movie on DVD next Tuesday... 

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 8:14am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Friend-of-the-RAZZIES® and Rolling Stone film critic Peter Travers recently posted his list of "The Worst Movies of 2013...So Far," complete with video featuring him tossing the titles into his ubiquitous "Scum Bucket." 

Here's the LINK to check it out... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 9:56am
Hey, Headrazz. Weren't you going to make your own list, in the form of a mid-year poll?  
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 11:45am
New releases here: UNA PISTOLA EN CADA MANO (a comedy about 8 Argentinians going through a mid-life crisis), SZTUCKI (about a Polish 6-year-old who thinks he saw his father (who he has never met) in a train station), and of course, PACIFIC RIM. What should I do?
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As there is no major "Major RAZZIE title" debuting on video next week, I was planning to name Tyler Perry's TEMPTATION as our Left-Over Worst New Movie on DVD next Tuesday...

Oops!

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 12:15pm
I was going to say Pacific Rim, but I don't know the other films, so I'll let you choose.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 2:35pm
I just rented and saw The Hunt (Jagten), a film that recently has been getting a lot of praise, I found it a good film with some real good performances, the only problem i have with it is that i found the premise a little bit farfetched.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 3:54pm
Actually, THE HUNT happens to be the best-reviewed release this week, along with FRUITVALE STATION. Meanwhile, V/H/S PART 2's review were a lot better than the 1st one... to the point where it has a similar R.T. rating to PACIFIC RIM!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 4:56pm
As linked elsewhere by HeadRAZZ, the L.A Times has posted a poll on the Biggest Box Office Bombs of the 21st Century. After I cast my vote, I saw that Gigli got the most votes with 32%. Well I can tell you I really didn't agree with this pick. Yeah. the film cost $54 Million and made back only $6 Million (which is pathetic) but a lot of the other picks cost way more money than Gigli. So I decided to go onto Box Office Mojo and look up the numbers for each film in the Poll. Here are those numbers.

John Carter
Cost- 250 Million   
Gross- 73 Million

Gigli
Cost- 54 Million
Gross- 6 Million

Speed Racer
Cost- 120 Million
Gross- 43 Million

After Earth
Cost- 130 Million
Gross- 59 Million

Mars Needs Moms
Cost- 150 Million
Gross- 21 Million

The Alamo
Cost- 107 Million
Gross- 22 Million

How Do You Know
Cost- 120 Million
Gross- 30 Million

Land of The Lost
Cost- 100 Million
Gross- 49 Million

Sahara
Cost- 130 Million
Gross- 68 Million

The Adventures Of Pluto Nash
Cost- 100 Million
Gross- 4 Million

The Lone Ranger
Cost- 215 Million
Gross (July 10th)- 59 Million

It appears that John Carter is The Biggest Box Office Bomb (it got my vote). Simply put, that film cost a lot more than Gigli did. However, Lone Ranger has come to a really close 2nd Place finish costing 215 Million Dollars and, as of July 10th, having grossed just 59 Million Dollars. 

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 5:51pm
Got bad news guys... a Hot Wheels movie is being planned. They're looking for a director right now.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 7:01pm
I just got back from Pacific Rim. It was glorious. Just...glorious! 

My Grade: A 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 7:04pm
I would have given it an A if there was more character depth.

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I just got back from Pacific Rim. It was... glorious. Just glorious. Grade: A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 104>