Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > Members' DISCUSSIONS of Potential 2013 Choices: 47 RONIN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of 47 RONIN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of 47 RONIN
    Posted: December 23 2013 at 11:22am

THIS WUZ RELEASED in THEATRES 2 DAZE BEFORE XMAS, WHEN WE WE'RE KINDA BIZZY with "REAL LIFE" (AS OPPOSED to "REEL LIFE") SO WE HADDA MAKE THIS QUICK: 

THIS MOVIE GOT ALMOST 90% NEGATIVE REVIEWS on ROTTEN TOMATOES...

IT STARz INEXPLICABLY NEVER-YET-RAZZed RAZZIE® REPEAT OFFENDER KEANU REEVES...

ALL the PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS LOOKED ULTRA-LAME...  

...and IT SUPPOSEDLY COST ABOUT $175 MILLION!!

FEEL FREE to ADD YER OWN REASONS WHY THIS "LAST MINUTE ENTRY" DESERVES OUR ATTENTION... 

OKAY, EVERYBODY -- GET YER MOTORS 
RONIN'...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 11:29am
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 12:30pm
Oiram, the title of the movie comes from here, so it's not rare that other movies have used it.

Why hasn't Keanu won a Razzie? And why is he still a big star? Apparently, people like it when he's bland.

The cast includes Rinko Kikuchi. I said that she deserved a Worst Supp. Actress  nomination, and SchumacherH8er said "No". Does this movie increase her chances? Or should she just be nominated for this (if she's bad in it, of course).

The cast also includes Hiroyuki Sanada and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. Ironically, they both played the same character on REVENGE... even though they don't look alike at all.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 3:53pm
Before this forum was started, I had this write-up:

AH, KEANU REEVES. FIRST THERE WAS BILL AND TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, THEN THE MATRIX, THEN THE WATCHER, AND THEN, THE 2008 REMAKE OF THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. NOW COMES A FICTIONALIZED ACCOUNT OF JAPAN’S SQUAD OF RONIN WARRIORS (SAMURAI LEFT WITHOUT A MASTER) SEEKING TO AVENGE THEIR MASTER’S HOMICIDE BACK IN THE 1700S. DESPITE AN ENSEMBLE OF HIGHER-END JAPANESE ACTORS, AMERICAN AUDIENCES WILL ULTIMATELY KNOW ITS CAST FOR THE ROCK-AND-ROLL NUT REEVES.

THE DIRECTOR HAS NO RESUME AND NO EXPERIENCE IN ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA; THIS IS HIS FIRST FORAY IN CINEMA OR TV! BUT THE PRODUCER IS EVEN WORSE: SCOTT STUBER WAS INVOLVED IN A LAUNDRY LIST OF FILMS CONSIDERED FOR THE RAZZIES OVER THE PAST 8 YEARS OR SO: THE BREAK-UP, LOVE HAPPENS, COUPLES’ RETREAT, THE WOLF-MAN [REMAKE], REPO MEN, YOUR HIGHNESS, AND 2012 WORST PICTURE RUNNER-UP BATTLESHIP! NOT TO MENTION THAT THIS FILM HAS BEEN DELAYED TWICE SINCE THE END OF 2012!

IN THE REAL TALE OF THE RONIN, THEIR MASTER HAD BEATEN A COURT OFFICIAL AND WAS PERSUADED INTO COMMITTING SEPPUKU (A RITUAL SUICIDE WHOSE NAME TRANSLATES AS “BELLY CUT” OR “SLICE ABDOMEN”). THAT SUICIDE SPARKED A HEATED FEUD, AND THE RONIN PLOTTED FOR TWO YEARS BEFORE PUTTING THEIR PLAN INTO ACTION AT THE BEGINNING OF 1703, DECAPITATING THE COURT OFFICIAL. THE VALUES THAT STORYTELLERS SUPPOSEDLY HOPED TO IMPART WERE HONOR AND LOYALTY, PERSISTENCE AND SACRIFICE… BUT THIS FILM DOESN’T SEEM LIKELY TO ENCOURAGE AUDIENCES TO IMPLEMENT THESE VALUES.

SO WHAT SAY YOU? GRAB YOUR KATANAS AND HARVEST 47 RAZZBERRIES FROM KEANU REEVES TONIGHT, AND CUT THIS UMPTEENTH RENDITION OF THE RONIN AFFAIR A NEW HOLE!

A ROCK-AND-ROLLER, A RUMORED SCIENTOLOGIST, AN ALIEN, AND NOW AN ANCIENT JAPANESE WARRIOR? IT’S A STRANGE MIXTURE, AND ANYTHING BUT AWESOME…

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 4:06pm
Wait, which actor in 47 Ronin is a Scientologist?
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 4:25pm
Whoops! The idea that Keanu Reeves was a scientologist turned out to be a rumor. I just added in one word to the end of my write-up addressing this.

To Antilsu: If you ever read this, I have one more thing to say about Justin Bieber: Believe. You were right about its lack of advertising and its release in less than 1200 theatres. It's not going to catch anyone's attention at this point. I'm afraid you'd have to be the one to start the forum for it. Not to mention it hasn't even gotten any reviews.
travis112096 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote travis112096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 5:01pm
47 Ronin looks to me like a rip-off The Last Samurai  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 6:08pm
It's more of a "remake" of Kenji Mizoguchi's The 47 Ronin than a rip-off of The Last Samurai.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 6:19pm
And THE LAST SAMURAI, while great overall (8/10), wasn't original either. It used the DANCES WITH WOLVES/POCAHONTAS formula. You know, the one AVATAR would later use too.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 4:50am
Actually, when I watched the trailers for 47 Ronin, I had 300 vibes coming from it, like it was supposed to be emulating that movie.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 6:34am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: According to The L.A. Times, the movies 47 RONIN is likeliest to emulate include JOHN CARTER and LONE RANGER -- Industry estimates say the $175 RONIN is about to join those titles as being among the biggest box office bombs of recent times. With it's current TomatoMeter number barely topping 10% and movie-goer awareness of the film at pitifully low levels, RONIN looks headed to be crowned Top Turkey for Christmas week. 

Here's the LINK to read the entire Times article... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 6:56am
Did they forget Fifth Estate?  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 1:03pm
I just got back from seeing this. It was boring, features crappy acting (especially from Keanu) and effects, and very, very derivative. 

My Grade: C-
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 4:01pm
Do you think it should be nominated for anything?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 5:41pm
Probably not. It's a bad movie, but not as horrific as some of the other films that I've seen this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply