Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > ALEX CROSS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of ALEX CROSS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of ALEX CROSS
    Posted: October 14 2012 at 4:10pm
WHAT CAN WE SAY ABOUT a MOVIE THAT STARS TYLER PERRY, BUT NOT in a WIG & DRESS?? WE'D LIKE to SAY IT'S LESS of a DRAG THAN PERRY's USUAL FARE -- BUT the ROTTEN REVIEWS CONTRADICT THAT...

WE'D LIKE to SAY IT's GONNA BE a BIG HIT, LIKE (INEXPLICABLY!) MOST EVERYTHING ELSE PERRY HAS APPEARED IN -- BUT the OPENING GROSSES CONTRADICT THAT...

BUT MOST of ALL, WE'D LIKE to SAY WE KNEW THIS FILM WAS a SHOO-IN to "WIN" PERRY a LONG OVERDUE  RAZZIE® NOMINATION for WORST ACTOR...and EVEN WITH SO MANY OTHER LOUSY MOVIES to CHOOSE from THIS YEAR, OUR MEMBERS DIDN'T DISAGREE with US on THAT! 

NOW THAT WE'VE HAD OUR SAY, IT'S YOUR TURN -- GO AHEAD, START KVETCHING at CROSS...  

HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT the ADD'L INFO PAGE on ALEX CROSS...

AND HERE's the LINK to Ye Olde Head RAZZberry's FOTO FUNNY on THIS FILM...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 4:58pm
This adaptation of one of James Patterson's biggest series of books raised a red flag when I saw the director's resume. FOUR of Rob Cohen's previous films made my Bottom 40 lists!

The Skulls. Bottom 40 Films of 2000, #34.
xXx. Bottom 40 Films of 2002, #13. The only one of these to get nominated rather than just considered for the RAZZIES.
Stealth. Bottom 40 Films of 2005, #22.
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Bottom 40 Films of 2008, #38 (on a new draft).

Archived documents show that the other three received capital letters and/or RAZZBerry pink writing on the list of eligible titles, indicating that they were being considered for the RAZZIES for their years.

Now it's come to this. Tyler Perry's starring in it, which got me thinking. Perhaps all actors, actresses, and big-name directors should have at least one pseudonym, one for their household name typecast, and one for all other genres aside from their typecast. Alas, with regards to Tyler Perry, this may get worse reviews, but Madea's Witness Protection was still worse for him because his performance and/or production role was bigger in Protection. As is usually the case with films not pre-screened for critics, I predicted this would be one of ours from the get-go. They still have 4 days and 5 nights to screen it for critics if they want to, so Alex Cross is not yet set in stone as a RAZZIE contender.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 6:52pm
Whoa, did this Forum come early -- Not complaining, just surprised!  

Probably a good thing too, since there's possibilities of Paranormal Activity 4 being considered, but I don't want to overwork HeadRAZZ.  

So yeah, Tyler should be getting major consideration this year, and rightfully so. 

Also, could this be considered a remake, since the Alex Cross character appeared in both Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider (played by much older actor, Morgan Freeman)??  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While reviews on PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 are headed toward likely RAZZIE® contender status, as of 11am/PST on Tuesday morning, it's not quite there yet (R.T. LINK). As for ALEX CROSS being a "remake," the mere fact that the same character appeared in other films, with quite a stretch, could maybe make the case for this being a "sequel" (or perhaps a "prequel") of sorts. But again, I would not argue that that's a case worth spending our time to make. It's not like we don't already have more than enough choices for Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel for 2012... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 7:29am
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 7:30am
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 5:43pm
R.T. (10-15%): "Tyler Perry and Matthew Fox do their best, but they're trampled by Rob Cohen's frustrating direction and a tasteless, lazily written screenplay".
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 7:37pm
Does that mean both Tyler Perry and Matthew Fox might possibly not be Razzie nominees for this?

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Most of the reviews I've been seeing seem to blame this film's makers rather than the actors, so it looks like Tyler Perry now has a shot at being a Worst Actress contender (MADEA'S WITNESS PROTECTION -- due out on DVD next Tuesday) and maybe a chance at Worst Actor, but more likely for GOOD DEEDS than for this... 

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 8:02pm
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 8:06am
Oh come on! The Rotten Tomato rating is way too low to let the actors off the hook!  

Originally posted by HeadRAZZberry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Most of the reviews I've been seeing seem to blame this film's makers rather than the actors, so it looks like Tyler Perry now has a shot at being a Worst Actress contender (MADEA'S WITNESS PROTECTION -- due out on DVD next Tuesday) and maybe a chance at Worst Actor, but more likely for GOOD DEEDS than for this...

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 9:13am
They're already planning a sequel for this, just because there's at least one other book in the series. 

Originally posted by oiram

Oh come on! The Rotten Tomato percent is way too low to let the actors off the hook.

Based on Razzie history, sometimes actors do receive nominations despite doing a good job, because they chose to be in 1 or more bad movies(most recently, Al Pacino). So, I think Perry still deserves a shot, if he's already going to be listed for his other 2012 movies. 

mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 11:24am
Ding Ding Ding - we have a "winner"! The Butcherrrrrrr.... no, rather Rob Cohen.

As always, I have not read the book, but the whole movie is a version of Vincent D'Onofrio's Law and Order TV series, with a little bit of The Bone Collector thrown in. The detective talks and talks, and seems to know everything, as if out of nowhere.

Picasso's going crazy scenes (after he gets shot) are a mess. I don't even know what effect that was supposed to have. Chin-ups with a damaged shoulder... what was his relation with his OWN pain? The way that scene was shot, it was confusing. 

The detective, while knowing a crazy murderer is on the prowl, is going out for dinner with his wife without sensing any danger. After she gets shot, the detective doesn't even show real pain. Later on they call his behavior "numb", but it doesn't come across like that.

The other extreme was Matthew Fox' performance -- just too hyper to feel real or scary. Maybe they were going for a contrast -- pitting the strong, controlled, calm, intelligent one against the over-the-top, crazy/smart/insane one? Didn't work, though. Both performances came across too unrealistic to make any impression.

But again, I'd blame that on weak directing. On the other hand, I enjoyed little snippets (like how he says "Spouting all your psycho babble").

FYC: Rob Cohen as Worst Director  

Post Reply Post Reply