Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > ATLAS SHRUGGED, PART 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of ATLAS SHRUGGED, PART 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of ATLAS SHRUGGED, PART 2
    Posted: October 17 2012 at 11:04pm
I have a free movie ticket and I was planning on using it to see this without giving the makers any money.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 5:51pm
Looks like it's gonna stay around 5% on R.T.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2012 at 5:03am
I am really grossed out at the prospect of having to sit through this piece of crap, but it looks inevitable. Maybe rather than creating a special category for all the vulgar political propaganda that has been thrown at us this year, we could just lump them all into one nomination, for "Films that Brainwashed the Brainless"??
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2012 at 5:51pm
I am intimately familiar with Penn Gillette's political leanings. He is also an intelligent guy, quite capable of seeing through the numerous logical errors in Rand's work. Teller, as noted, isn't nearly as politically motivated, and his appearance in this film is puzzling. I can only assume he did it as a favor to somebody?  

Originally posted by JoeBacon

Penn and Teller are hard core Libertarians -- Especially Penn.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 3:41pm
Well, I'm back from seeing this. It makes the last one look like Raiders Of The Lost Ark. I'll review it when Horror Movie Month 2's done. To tide you over, here's my grade: Rotten Asshole
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 5:22pm
Will you write your "FYC" in your review, then?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 6:54pm
I'll just do my For Your Considerations now:

Worst Picture  

Worst Director: John Putch  

Worst Actor: Jason Beghe  

Worst Actress: Samantha Mathis  

Worst Supporting Actor: Diedrich Bader  

Worst Supporting Actor: Patrick Fabian  

Worst Supporting Actor: Sean Hannity (as himself)  

Worst Supporting Actress: Kim Rhodes  

Worst Screenplay  

Worst Screen Couple (if we keep it/don't combine it with Worst Screen Ensemble): 
             Any pair of paranoid Randroids

Worst Screen Ensemble 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel 

Worst Propaganda Film (if we do this) 

So...basically every category!  

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 7:24am
So, not Thomas F. Wilson nor Teller?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 1:58pm
Wilson and Teller only had cameos and they weren't offensively bad like Sean "I almost make Bill O'Reilly look good" Hannity's.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 8:15pm
I SECOND ALL THE NOMINATIONS! Dead

2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 8:02am
Did you see it already?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 4:12pm
Time for Atlas Shrugged Part II, the worst movie of the year and one of the worst movies ever. I saw it with a free ticket and I STILL feel ripped off! The film impressively manages to be worse than both the first film AND the novel it's based on!

9.) The Sean Hannity cameo: Without a doubt, Sean Hannity is the worst person on Fox News. Bill O'Reilly may be louder, but he's had moments of not-stupidity.* Hannity's never had such moments. In his thankfully brief cameo, Hannity talks about Henry Reardon and acts like you'd expect Sean Hannity to act.

8.) Diedrich Bader: Why was he in this? He plays Quentin Daniels, a scientist that studies the perpetual energy device that they found in the first one. His acting is pretty bad. My theory on why he was in here: Bader's mostly known for Office Space and Office Space director Mike Judge is apparantly a major Libertarian. Maybe Judge seduced Bader into the Libertarian side?

7.) The Richard Halley scene: Richard Halley is a conductor that "goes Galt." Now, you're probably wondering why a conductor is being lumped in with the leaders of industry and there's a reason. A terrible, egotistical reason. See, Ayn Rand wanted to imagine herself as one of the "important" people. To make herself seem important, she had Galt recruit artists. So, the only reason this scene exists is because Rand wanted to be important.

6.) Jason Beghe: Beghe plays Henry Reardon, a steel tycoon who invents a new metal. Beghe can't act to save his life. He makes Grant Bowler, the Reardon from the first one, look like an actual actor.

5.) The special effects: The film startes out in media res with an airplane chase. Yes, really. The four other people in the audience were confused by this too. The planes on screen are horiffic in their badness. Towards the end of the movie, one of Taggart Transcontinental's trains crashes into a military train and there's a massive explosion. The explosion is one of the fakest you'll ever see.

4.) Samantha Mathis: What the Hell happened to her career? Her performance as Dany Taggart is one of the worst female performances of the 21st Century so far. She makes Taylor Schilling look like Meryl Streep.

3.) John Putch: Putch has no talent for directing or visual flair. The film is just drab looking. He can't direct the actors to save his life.

2.) Patrick Fabian: Fabian plays Dagy's brother James. In the first film, were he's played by Matthew Marsden, James was a bland sulker. Here, he's a scenery chewing madman. And Fabian plays him terribly! I kind of wish that Nicolas Cage played him because it might have been interesting in a train-wreck way. Also, it would have guaranteed the film at least one Razzie nod!

1.) The script: There's one person who returned for this one: Brian Patrick O'Toole, one of the film's writers. Joined by a former editor and the writer of several Walker, Texas Rangers episodes, all three manage to make a screenplay written worse than the actual book! In all honesty, this is probably on the five worst screenplays ever, with Batman & Robin, Batlefield Earth, Highlander II, and every Seltzerberg movie (they're all counted together).

One thing the film does better than the book: the train crash. See, after the crash, Rand goes into detail on how each passenger deserved to die. Yes really. Grade: Rotten Asshole.

Next-up: Howard The Duck!

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Diedrich Bader: Why was he in this?
Character actors can't afford to be picky. He's also been in THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, THE COUNTRY BEARS, EUROTRIP, MISS CONGENIALITY 2, BALLS OF FURY, MEET THE SPARTANS, OPEN SEASON 2 and VAMPIRES SUCK.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 10:51pm
What a monumental triumph it would be if we could swing Worst Supporting Actor nominations for both Billo the Clown and Sean Hannity!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Vits

Looks like it's gonna stay around 5% on R.T.

"Poorly written, clumsily filmed and edited, and hampered by amateurish acting, it does no favors to the ideology it so fervently champions".
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 10:31am
It's bad enough that Ayn Rand pretended to be writing about individualism and the supposed "greatness" of the rich and powerful.  What's even worse is that she was really writing about her own narcissism and how she wanted to be among the rich and powerful -- without possessing even their often meager talents.  It's beyond pale how current Libertarians and Conservatives have twisted what Rand wrote into what is essentially a horrifying justification for social Darwinism.  And it's extremely fitting that, when these adherents put this novel up on the screen, their film is as awful as the author, the source material AND their misconceptions.  

Please vote the hell out of all the nominations for this movie.  I know, I know, this appears to be the year of Breaking Wind, Fart 2 and its sparkling vampires and beefcake werewolves.  However, I think we need to make a statement about how crappy this particular film is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12