Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > DEAD MAN DOWN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of DEAD MAN DOWN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of DEAD MAN DOWN
    Posted: March 05 2013 at 8:06am
IN a WEEK WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE BEING RELEASED HAS at LEAST FAIR-to-MIDDLING REVIEWS at ROTTEN TOMATOES, IT SEEMS CONSPICUOUS THAT DEAD MAN DOWN STILL HAS NO REVIEWS 72 HOURS BEFORE ITs OPENING DAY. 

33 YEARS of EXPERIENCE HAVE TAUGHT US THAT SUCH a LACK of REVIEWS IS a STRONG INDICATOR: "ONE of OURS" IS COMING DOWN the PIKE!!    

STARRING IRISH HUNK-for-HIRE (and 2004 WORST ACTOR NOMINEE for ALEXANDER) COLIN FARRELL, THIS ONE LOOKS EERILY (and BORINGLY) SIMILAR to ABOUT 187 OTHER MAN--in-PERIL-BEING-PURSUED/PERSECUTED MOVIES THAT PRECEDED IT. IT's BEING SOLD as BEING "FROM the DIRECTOR of GIRL WITH the DRAGON TATTOO" -- ANOTHER INDICATOR THAT the MOVIE (and ITS CAST) CAN'T SELL ITSELF. 

WE EXPECT THAT DEAD MAN WILL BE DEAD and FORGOTTEN by EVERYONE (PERHAPS EVEN INCLUDING OUR VOTING MEMBERS) COME YEAR's END...

BUT WHILE IT's HERE and RIPE for a BERRY-BASHING...

HAVE AT IT! 

JUST for FUN, HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT the "FOTO FUNNY" for THIS FILM... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 8:16am
After examining the trailer a few more times, this seems to have grown on me. But the movie just gives me that "I've seen this before, I just can't pinpoint where" feeling. Some of the shots look good, I'll admit -- but the acting, from what I've seen, looks pretty bland. I'm surprised HeadRAZZ did not say anything about Noomi Repace, who needs a true hit right now, because the last two English films she starred were considered disappointments critically.

I'll tell you one thing though: The person in this movie who is not going to be forgotten is Terrence Howard, since he is also one of the many "stars" to embarrass themselves by appearing in Movie 43. While his role here seems more dignified, he also seems to be doing a "been there, done that" role in a "been there, done that" film. To me, this all but locks him in as a contender for "Worst Supporting Actor." 
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 9:01am
When I mentioned that this was written by one of the FRINGE writers, I didn't actually know if that would be a pro or a con. Now that I think about, he'll probably add non-Sci-Fi (but still complicated) elements to the story, and it could end up being convoluted. 

Originally posted by oiram

I'm surprised HeadRAZZ did not say anything about Noomi Repace, who needs a true hit right now, because the last two English films she starred were considered disappointments critically.

PROMETHEUS dissapointed, but it still got good reviews. SHERLOCK HOLMES PART 2's reviews were also decent. Not to mention that almost nobody expected it would be great.

By the way, the cast includes another foreign star: Isabelle Huppert (if you don't know her, you can see her in AMOUR).

Originally posted by oiram

I'll tell you one thing though: The person in this movie who is not going to be forgotten is Terrence Howard, since he is also one of the many "stars" to embarrass themselves by appearing in Movie 43. While his role here seems more dignified, he also seems to be doing a "been there, done that" role in a "been there, done that" film. To me, this all but locks him in as a contender for "Worst Supporting Actor."

He's certainly been in a couple of stinkers in recent years. Maybe he'll be nominated this year?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 4:56am
One day away from the release of this thing, and STILL no dang reviews!  

Won't it be a shock if, when the reviews finally do come, they indicate that this is one of the best movies this year?  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 1:59pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: If/when this film does get good reviews, it could also be an indicator that someone's finally figured how to hack into the R.T. database... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 4:42pm
The reviews are coming, and they're low. Please read this article my buddies wrote about the "Tomato-meter" (using this movie as an example). I never thought about what they're talking about... until now.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 2:09pm
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:18pm
I must say I have no interest in this film, because the plot is very familiar (other action films seem to follow the same formula this film follows). However, I highly doubt it has much Razzie potential, because it's one of those films that you seem to forget about very quickly. 

But maybe Colin Farrell could get a Worst Actor Nod, who knows?  

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 1:35pm
Actually, I think its more likely that Terrence Howard is getting a Worst Supporting Actor nod, since he was also in Movie 43 (Bit of trivia, Colin Farrell ALMOST was in Movie 43 as well, but backed out at the last minute).

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

I must say I have no interest in this film, because the plot is very familiar (other action films seem to follow the same formula this film follows). However, I highly doubt it has much Razzie potential, because it's one of those films that you seem to forget about very quickly. 

But maybe Colin Farrell could get a Worst Actor Nod, who knows?  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 2:29pm
Director Niels Arden Oplev said that he blames the failure of the film on 2 things:

1) The American advertising campaign, which according to him, misrepresented the film.

2) Budget problems during production, which forced him to speed up the shoot, and of not being able to edit the film the way he would have preferred.

Will this spare the movie from getting Razzie nominations (if the members still remember this movie by the end of the year)?

Post Reply Post Reply