Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE LONE RANGER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of LONE RANGER (2013)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of LONE RANGER (2013)
    Posted: July 05 2013 at 12:53pm
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Just posted the Initial Box Office Info for this film, and the news is not good for its long-term prospects. To see just how bad it is (and which recent Dizz-Knee B.O. Bomb its numbers alarmingly resemble) CLICK HERE...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 1:24pm
WOW! A Box Office Bomb AND critically panned? Do I smell a Worst Picture Nomination for Lone Ranger?!?   
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 4:25pm
ANOTHER FUN UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Our friends over at Gold Derby are already asking: "Will LONE RANGER Finally Win Johnny Depp a RAZZIE?" In addition to their article, they're also conducting a POLL asking if Depp will eventually "win," only be nominated, or actually escape "RAZZIE® Free."    

Here's the LINK to check out their coverage (and cast your vote in that poll)... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 4:35pm
On the Poll, I voted for he might get nominated, but I doubt he will win. He'll have real competition. going up against Jaden Smith and Adam Sandler. I know, Grown Ups 2 isn't out yet -- but still, I think it's pretty obvious Sandler will be a strong contender. 

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 4:41pm
Looks like Disney is 2 for 2 as The Box Office Bomb Factory! LOL 

2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 6:27pm
Why "finally"? Yes, he's been in some bad movies, but I don't consider him a "Repeat Offender" -- It's not like he's been in Razzie consideration multiple times.  

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

Will LONE RANGER Finally Win Johnny Depp a RAZZIE?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 7:35pm

Somehow I missed the memo that said Tonto had supplanted The Lone Ranger this time. I haven't done enough research to complete my ballot~race standings, but I'll do it today, with The Lone Ranger as one of my 5 personal front-runners for either Worst Actor or Worst Remake or Rip-off.

To JoeBacon: But I have to admit The Lone Ranger was over twice as bad as John Carter. I still don't know how John Carter managed to scrape a 10/20 from critics!

To Vits: Johnny Depp appeared in two of my Bottom 40 Films of 2011. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (#39) and Jack and Jill (#1). But until December of 2010, he'd starred in nearly all good films. He's starred in 11 of my past annual Top 40 Films, and 8 of my Retro Top 40 Movies lists for the 1980s and 90s. I hope Johnny Depp hasn't lost his touch in the new decade, and am cautiously optimistic that 2014's Into the Woods will succeed with critics.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 2:03pm
WOW! Lone Ranger made only $29 Million opening weekend? Talk about a D.O.A.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 4:31pm
I think Johnny Depp not only deserves to be nominated, but he and Jaden Smith should tie for Worst Actor!  

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

ANOTHER FUN UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Our friends over at Gold Derby are already asking: "Will LONE RANGER Finally Win Johnny Depp a RAZZIE?" In addition to their article, they're also conducting a POLL asking if Depp will eventually "win," only be nominated, or actually escape "RAZZIE® Free."    

Here's the LINK to check out their coverage (and cast your vote in that poll)... 

2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 7:26pm
Here are a few Critic's quotes I found on Rotten Tomatoes, maybe they can be used in 34th Razzie Ceremony??

"No wonder Depp's in disguise. No wonder Hammer wears a mask. Wouldn't you"?- Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

"Overblown, stupid, loud, unfunny, and completely maddening in its undisguised assumption that you'll swallow this nonsense whole".-Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat.

"Disney spent over $200 million to prove The Lone Ranger is too old-fashioned for such a newfangled, smart-aleck world".-Mark Keizer, Box office Magazine

"It's like Dumb & Dumber out on the range, but without the laughs". Erin Free, FILM INK

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 7:13am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: This morning's edition of the trade paper Hollywood Reporter features an article in which "industry analysts" predict that, based on the "dismal" initial B.O. numbers, Dizz-Knee's losses on LONE RANGER could end up in JOHN CARTER TERRITORY -- Approaching (and/or possibly surpassing) $150 million. The article also points out that, in addition to the film's $250 million production budget, the studio laid out about $175 million(!) more to market RANGER. 

Here's the LINK to read the entire, fiscally fascinating fiasco of a tale... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 7:39am
FURTHER UPDATE from Head RAZZBERRY: Quoting from this morning's Los Angeles Times coverage of the 4th of July weekend box office results: "The western starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammermustered up an embarrassing $48.9 million. Such a weak opening puts THE LOAN RANGER on a pace to become one of the biggest big-budget bombs at the summer box office. Though the season's WHITE HOUSE DOWN and AFTER EARTH have also proven to be disappointments, each film cost around $100 million less to produce than this weekend's flop. Walt Disney Studios had to halt production on RANGER in 2011 when the movie's budget soared to $250 million; the studio says it eventually reduced the cost to $225 million."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 2:35pm
After watching this, here are my recommendations for Razzie nominations:  

Worst Picture: It is explained below...   

Worst Screenplay (Justin Haythe, Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio): The script paved the way for a movie with a way too long running-time (2 1/2 hours). For a movie that is supposed to be an "action adventure." that running time is too long. Some parts of the movie could even bore a person with a long attention span!  

Worst Director: Gore Verbinski: He did a lazy job in putting this movie together. Little, if anything, was done to prevent the movie from having an inconsistent pace. Just like in Baz Luhrmann's version of The Great Gatsby the actors are taken for granted. This director just put the actors in front of the camera, thinking everything else would just "fall into place."  

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel: This has been explained by the previous categories in which it deserves nominations. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 4:19pm
Before Grown Ups 2 came out, I really was thinking Lone Ranger was going to be a shoo- in for Worst Picture. But after looking at the reviews for both films... maybe this movie might just get a few more nominations than just one or two. 

Here are my Razzie predicted nominations for LONE RANGER: 

Worst Remake, Rip-off or Sequel  
Worst Screen Couple  
Worst Director  

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 11:39pm
Worst Remake, Rip-off, or Sequel of THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER from 1981...which I think is a much superior film...Ouch

Worst Actor for Depp...

Worst Screen Couple for Depp and anyone sharing the screen with him...

Definitely worst screenplay...worst director...worst (you name it...it deserves it)...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Pixelledust View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pixelledust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 3:01pm
Seeing how horribly this film was reviewed, I think Native Americans may now  be grateful that a person of European descent was cast as Tonto! Big smile 

Pixelle Dust
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>