Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE LONE RANGER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of LONE RANGER (2013)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of LONE RANGER (2013)
    Posted: June 25 2013 at 4:10pm

YOU'D HAVE to GO ALL the WAY BACK to WARREN BEATTY's VISUALLY STUNNING (BUT DRAMATICALLY STUNTED) 1990 VERSION of
DICK TRACY to FIND SUCH a BIG BUDGET MOVIE BASED on as LONG FORGOTTEN a CHARACTER as the $250 MILLION 2013 REMAKE of THE LONE RANGER

YES, IT DOES HAVE the OBVIOUS ADVANTAGE of JOHNNY DEPP STARRING as TONTO...BUT with HIS DEAD-CROW-on-the-HEAD COSTUME, DRIED-BIRD-POOP-on-his-FACE MAKEUP and STILTED LINE DELIVERIES, DEPP MAY FINALLY HAVE GONE "TOO FAR OUT" for MAINSTREAM AUDIENCES (SEE IMAGE BELOW)

PLAGUED by PRODUCTION DELAYS, RE-SHOOTS and MASSIVE BUDGET OVER-RUNS (IT WAS ORIGINALLY APPROVED for PRODUCTION at SUBSTANTIALLY LESS THAN $200 MILLION) THIS LONE RANGER (A BLOATED-BUDGET REMAKE of a 1981 MULTIPLE RAZZIE® "WINNER" -- IMDb LINK) HAD ALL the EARMARKS of BEING a GIGANTIC B.O. DUD. 

AND EVEN IF IT WEREN'T a B.O. BOMB, IT STILL LOOKS ALARMINGLY LIKE an UNINTENTIONAL REMAKE of ANOTHER PREVIOUS RAZZIE® TARGET -- OUR 1999 WORST PICTURE "WINNER" WILD WILD WEST.

AGREE...

DISAGREE...

OR SIMPLY WANNA DISS?? 

FEEL FREE to DO SO BELOW!  

HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS FILM...

...and HERE's the LINK to OUR FOTO FUNNY for IT.  

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 

"HI-YO, RAZZ-BERRIES...AWAY!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 4:50pm
You couldn't wait, could you? Now you have snubbed White House Down.   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: No, Oiram -- WHITE HOUSE DOWN opens this Friday (July 28) and RANGER opens next Wednesday (July 3rd). They are thus not in direct competition to be named Worst of the Weak

I posted the RANGER discussion now because I'll be out of town next week, and wanted it to have a head start before it shows up on our Main Page on the 3rd. If the reviews on DOWN are "down and dirty" enough, I may take the time to post an Official Forum on it. If not, I plan to post our Mid-Year Poll as this Friday's Main Page item. If you still feel strongly that DOWN should have a Forum, feel free to set up a Member-Started one (LINK)...  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 5:09pm
I actually kind of liked Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy. True, story-wise it wasn't very good, but Beatty's eye for style made up for the story's shortcomings, in my opinion. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I've alwaze said that Beatty's DICK TRACY was a great movie for the deaf -- It was visually dazzling, but the screenplay (and several of the actors playing various villains*) were so over-the-top it was impossible for me to consider it anything more than a "nice try."  

* Specifically, I found Al Pacino's spittle-spraying portrayal of "Big Boy Caprice" almost indefensibly excessive...  

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 6:11pm
I know I've said this before, but I will say it again: Nobody my age knows what the hell Lone Ranger is! I know I wasn't even born yet when the show was on, but I'm not alone here. My movie-going friends also have no idea what to make of this movie. The lack of promotion for Lone Ranger isn't helping either -- The film opens in 8 days and I think I've only see 1 or 2 commercials for it (and a the Subway tie-in campaign).  

I am wondering if this film might be D.O.A, but they do have Johnny Depp's star power at play. Then again, Dark Shadows was a Box Office Bomb, also starring Depp. Either way, Lone Ranger will probably be a bomb because, well... NOBODY TODAY KNOWS WHAT IT IS!
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 7:07pm
Let's be fair. This movie is directed, written and produced by the same people who made PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. Back in 2003, did anyone think a movie about pirates would be good? Specially one aimed towards children? But it turned out to be good, so maybe the same can happen with this western. I know that it was based on a Disney Land ride, but it's not like it was a popular source material.

Aside from the 2 stars, the cast includes William "The New SHREDDER" Fichtner (who was also in PHANTOM) and Razzie winner Barry Pepper (who was also in BROKEN CITY and SNITCH).

Oh, and I didn't like DICK TRACY either.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 7:23pm
Don't forget, Lone Ranger also co-stars Oscar nominated Tom Wilkinson and two-time Oscar nominated Helena Bonham Carter... 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Wilkinson has actually been Oscar-nominated twice as well (IMDb LINK) but I don't see what that's got to do with LONE RANGER's box office or RAZZIE® prospects. Bad movies can co-star "good actors" and still be bad movies... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 7:36pm
Maybe Wilkinson and H.B.C. will give bad performances, which would be shocking since they're both good actors. But that shock might turn into a desire to nominate them. I mentioned the other 2 actors because they may have a better chance at Razzie nominations for being in other movies. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 1:24am
I do have to admit the first Pirates of the Caribbean was a good film. I wouldn't say it was aimed particularly at children, but anyone of any age could enjoy it. Of course, the franchise has suffered sequel-itis, and the recent films have been real stinkers. In fact, I am kind of shocked the 4th Pirates film didn't even get one Razzie nod.

But Lone Ranger is different. At least people knew the Pirates ride the film was based on. The studio execs over at Disney are remaking an old TV show into a movie (again). Need I mention the fact that few people in this day and age even remember the show? Besides that, we've seen this before -- Anyone remember "Land of The Lost"? Another  movie based on a TV Show not many people watched or remembered. There's also Speed Racer, Wild Wild West, Dudley Do Right and ... could go on and on. 

As much as I like Johnny Depp, I am afraid "Lone Ranger" will be a Box office Bomb, get critically panned, and just might be "One of ours."  

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 3:27am

Where in my post (see below) did I say the movie automatically would be good/be a hit based on the actors involved? I was just pointing out who's in it... 

Originally posted by oiram

Don't forget, Lone Ranger also co-stars Oscar nominated Tom Wilkinson and two-time Oscar nominated Helena Bonham Carter...

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 1:36pm
Some of you have talked about this movie not having been well marketed. Will this change your minds?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Most of those tie-in products they're talking about will likely end up at 99-Cents Only stores. And the fact that their only "fast food" tie-in is with Subway (which hardly appeals to the key movie-going demographic) speaks to how hard a time Dizz-Knee has had finding anyone to partner with them in promoting LONE RANGER. The film's only hope is that Depp's performance is as outrageous as his appearance playing Tonto -- and even that might not save it... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 9:16pm
I'd like to point out two problems that have been going on in Hollywood for awhile. Firstly, studio executives in general have real issue with saying the word "no." For some reason, no one said no to "Jack and Jill," "Norbit," "Bucky Larson, Born to be a Star," "Catwoman" and many other horrible films.

Secondly, when film studios do make mistakes, they have a huge problem admitting it. Every time award season comes around, everyone in Hollywood loves to pretend every film made is a breathtaking masterpiece. We are human beings, we make mistakes everyday. How come so many actors, directors, writers and producers can't admit they, too, have "bad days at the office"? We have all been there! 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 9:31am
That's the magic of pitching ideas: Anything can sound like it'll be a good movie. CATWOMAN is a well-known character; almost every Adam Sandler movie has grossed at least $100 million; not every Eddie Murphy movie has been a hit but one of his biggest hits were the ones where he played several characters and/or fat people. 

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

I'd like to point out two problems that have been going on in Hollywood for awhile. Firstly, studio executives in general have real issue with saying the word "no." For some reason, no one said no to "Jack and Jill," "Norbit," "Bucky Larson, Born to be a Star," "Catwoman" and many other horrible films.

Secondly, when film studios do make mistakes, they have a huge problem admitting it. Every time award season comes around, everyone in Hollywood loves to pretend every film made is a breathtaking masterpiece. We are human beings, we make mistakes everyday. How come so many actors, directors, writers and producers can't admit they, too, have "bad days at the office"? We have all been there!

Unless the movie is both a critical and financial flop, they don't believe the movie is bad -- and maybe not even then. By instinct, they always come up with an excuse as to why people didn't like it. You mentioned BUCKY LARSON. Nick Swardson said that the critics were prepared to give the movie negative reviews because he thinks they're bias against raunchy comedies (even though it was released the same year as the Oscar-nominated BRIDESMAIDS). Kenn Viselman said that he had always planned for THE OOGILOVES to be a hit on DVD. And of course there are several movies where they openly mock critics, like LADY IN THE WATER, ALL THAT JAZZ and some of Woody Allen's movies. 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 10:00am
Nick Swardson is a huge idiot for defending a movie that made $2 Million on a $10 Million budget. He acted like a huge man/child (pretty much like any character he's played in any Adam Sandler movie).  

I've just seen the Lindsay Lohan film "I Know Who Killed Me" and I have no idea how this piece of garbage got green lighted. Same with Catwoman. Yes, she is a well known character and I am a huge fan of the real character in the Batman Universe. However, they created a completely different character with little to no coherent backstory. I am shocked after reading the script, that none of the actors, the producers or the director said "this is freaking ridiculous!" 

Anyway, should I do a written review or video review for "I Know Who Killed Me"?
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 2:57pm
 Whatever format you enjoy doing the most.  

Anyway, should I do a written review or video review for "I Know Who Killed Me"?
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 3:37pm
Just like Ed Wood defending the flaws in PLAN 9 saying "you have to suspend your disbelief", they can excuse anything. It won't always be a good excuse, though.

I just seen the Lindsay Lohan film "I Know Who Killed Me" and I have yet to know how the piece of garbage got green lighted. Same with Catwoman. Yes, she is a well known character and I am a huge fan of the real character in the Batman Universe. However, they made a completely different character with little to no coherent story. I am shocked even after reading the script, no actor, producer or director said "this movie is freaking ridiculous".

I'm sure that, after DAREDEVIL dissapointed, the execs wanted to go with a super-hero already seen on screen to secure tickets. And the title of I KNOW WHO KILLED ME did sound intriguing.

What Jesse said.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 9:08am
The R.T. rating has started off at 25%. But what surprised me was that 97% of the public wants to see it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>