Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > LEGENDS OF OZ - DOROTHY's RETURN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of LEGENDS OF OZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of LEGENDS OF OZ
    Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:31pm

AMONG the MOST FRUSTRATINGLY AWFUL THINGS HOLLYWOOD REGULARLY DOES IS the MAKING of SEQUELS, PREQUELS, RE-BOOTS and "RE-IMAGININGS" of CLASSIC BOOKS and MOVIES THAT EXHIBIT UTTER CONTEMPT for THEIR SOURCE MATERIAL...

CASE in POINT: LEGENDS of OZ - DOROTHY's RETURN, an EYE-GOUGINGLY AWFUL-LOOKING ANIMATED "NEW OZ MOVIE" THAT WAS KEPT from the EYES of FILM CRITICS for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE and for REASONS ANYONE SHOULD BE ABLE to GUESS.  

CLEARLY "INSPIRED" by the CLASSIC 1939 VERSION of OZ THAT CELEBRATES ITS 75th ANNIVERSARY in 2014 (and IS WIDELY CONSIDERED ONE of the GREATEST MOVIES EVER MADE) LEGENDS DOES HAVE ANIMATED VERSIONS of the CENTRAL CHARACTERS THAT the 1939 VERSION BROUGHT to LIFE from L. FRANK BAUM's CLASSIC OZ BOOK SERIES. 

BUT in ADDITION to the SCARECROW, COWARDLY LION and TIN MAN, THIS NEW FILM CREATES a BIG FAT BIRD, a TINY QUEEN and SEVERAL OTHER NEW CHARACTERS WHO, EVEN in the SHORT SNIPPETS INCLUDING THEM in the TRAILERS and PROMOs, LOOK NAUSEATINGLY "CUTE" -- ALMOST LIKE FUGITIVES from the LAMENTABLE 20012 WORST PICTURE NOMINEE THE OOGIELOVES IN BIG BALLOON ADVENTURE

THE ONE POSITIVE the FILM MAY HAVE GOING for IT IS GLEE's LEA MICHELE DOING the VOICE of DOROTHY -- EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT a "GLEEK," YOU HAVE to ADMIT THAT, THOUGH SHE's NO JUDY GARLAND (IS ANYBODY??) MICHELE CAN DEFINITELY SING.  

ONCE the SMOKE CLEARS and IT's KNOWN IF LEGENDS OF OZ WAS as BIG of a B.O. BUST as IT DESERVES to BE, IT'LL BE EASIER to ASSESS ITS RAZZIE® PROSPECTS. BUT for NOW, IT SURE LOOKS HORRID ENOUGH to DESERVE OUR ATTENTION COME YEAR's END.

SO, "SURRENDER" to YOUR URGE to BASH ALL THINGS INDEFENSIBLE, 
and HAVE AT LEGENDS OF OZ - DOROTHY'S RETURN.

JUST for LAFFS, HERE's the LINK to the FOTO FUNNY for the FILM...

...and JUST 'CAUSE SOME FOLKS LIKE a LITTLE HARD DATA BEFORE THEY POST ANYTHING, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on IT (Featuring Links to Reviews, Promos, Credits, Grosses and Cetera). 

NOW IT's TIME EVERYONE SET 
"OFF to RAZZ the WIZARD!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:40pm
I would say Worst Sequel or Prequel and Worst Screenplay.

Also, Kelsey Grammer is going to have a pretty bad year of movies, with him being in this, and the new Transformers and Expendables movies.

Maybe Dan Aykroyd too, but that depends on how Get On Up and Tammy are received.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:48pm
Man... I still don't understand how this movie even exists. It looks nothing like an Oz movie. I know I said that already, but it bears repeating. I might be wrong here, but I think if enough people see Legend of OZ: Dorothy's Unnecessary Return it could be a Worst Picture nominee.

Besides, we all know THIS would make a better Movie.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:19pm
The cast also includes several talented actors: James Belushi, Oliver Platt, Hugh Dancy and Bernardette Peters. Oh, and also Razzie nominee Martin Short. The director also made THE ROAD TO EL DORADO and HOME ON THE RANGE, considered to be among the weakest Disney films of the 21st Century.

Don't worry MovieCritic. Despite all the popular demand, it took decades for a LES MISÉRABLES movie. And despite that, they made a non-musical adaptation in the '90s. Maybe they knew that there would be so many OZ adapations* in this anniversary that it was better to wait?

*They even found a way to include it in ONCE UPON A TIME, even though it's not really considered to be a fairy tale.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:21pm
No, one can't deny that Michele can sing. But between this and NEW YEAR'S EVE, she needs to start making better decisions. GLEE will end after its next season.

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

THE ONE POSITIVE the FILM MAY HAVE GOING for IT IS GLEE's LEA MICHELLE DOING the VOICE of DOROTHY -- EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT a "GLEEK," YOU HAVE to ADMIT THAT, THOUGH SHE's NO JUDY GARLAND (IS ANYBODY??) MICHELLE CAN DEFINITELY SING. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:27pm
Let's remind ourselves, three musical movie adaptations are coming out this year. Jersey Boys (for some reason), Into the Woods and ANNIE. And yet no real movement on Wicked. True, A Wicked film might not work because well we've seen it happen before. Films like Mamma Mia, The Phantom Of the Opera (2005) and The Producers (2005) just were not great adaptations at all.

Still, I cling to hope anyway
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:30pm
A good singing voice isn't going to help if the songs are completely bland...

Oiram, as far as I can see it would also be a good contender on the shortlist for worst screenplay...

A week or so ago I discovered that a toy company is bringing out merchandise based on this movie and they look just as bad as the movie... link

I don't know which one is worse... creepy Dorothy, flat faced jester or walking Toto
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 2:50pm
I was going to say The Jester, because he has nothing to do with the Baum books, but the TOTO image looked like it was made with no effort at all.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 3:32pm
As I understand it, this movie is based on the books of the grandson of Frank L. Baum (the author of the original Wizard of Oz-books) so the entire movie isn't even based on any of  the original Wizard of Oz-books.  

Moviecritic1994: Can you post the write-up you would have given this, if you had made a Member Started Forum for this (which you said you intended to do)?  

Doppy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:45pm
Oh my goodness...the worst of the worst in animation!  

Fabulous!  In order to "hurt" our eyes even more, they have also thought it  "good" to offer it in 3-D --should we revive the "Worst Eye-Gouging Mis-Use of 3-D" category?  

Besides this, I also agree on the ugly script, the main idea, the ad hoc creation of new characters, (they claim it's created to bring a smile to the children, but I am sure they will instead scare them or leave them perplexed and bewildered).   

This is not the first time that these ideas were used in an animated film, but here it seems to be brought to its lowest level ever...  

I am an italian moviegoer
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:52pm
The first bad review on Rotten tomatoes just arrived and reading it I discovered some more horrible things that I did not know about the movie yet:  

There's that clunky, passive title; the credit informing us that the movie is not based on any of L. Frank Baum's 40 public-domain Oz books...  

Dorothy (Lea Michele) now lives in modern-day Kansas. (The early 2000s, anyway, judging from the gas prices)...

The Scarecrow (Dan Aykroyd) uses a rainbow-based kidnapping machine to pull Dorothy back... 

Oz has been taken over by the Wicked Witch's brother, the Jester...

This is really the type of movie that, the more you see or hear about it, the worse it sounds.... 

TorgoForever View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote TorgoForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:28pm
That "Toto" figure...... Man-bear.... dog?

Seriously, that merch looks like tat Ashens would find from Poundland, critique the hell out of, and then incinerate.
In advance, I warn the world that I have lost my sanity to Turkish Star Wars. Be prepared...
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 10:01am
The movie came in on Rotten Tomatoes at a big fat 0%
Doppy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:02am
Apparently, Dan Aykroyd is in "pole position" for the seventh Razzie nomination. 
Seven is a special number :)
His last nomination was in 1995 for "Exit to Eden" , it would be a remarkable return, after 19 years!
I am an italian moviegoer
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 6:03am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Today's L.A. Times has a nearly full page, color ad for this film. What makes it unique? At first glance, there appear to be "rave quotes" from 9 critics splattered across the ad in various places...but if you take a moment to check which critics wrote them, you'll find that FIVE of the 9 are from the same "critic," someone named Ryan Jay of Premiere Radio Networks. While Jay may be a legitimate film critic, I don't ever recall seeing a "critics' quotes" movie ad before where over 50% of the "quotes" were from a single source. I think that's what's commonly called a "desperation tactic"... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 6:40am
I am sure this film will be long forgotten by the time the nominating ballots come out. Still, with everything I've seen from this movie (trailers, reviews, clips Etc.) I really want Legends Of Oz to be a Worst Picture nominee. At the very least, maybe a couple of nominations like Worst Remake, Rip off or Sequel and Worst Screen Ensemble.

Of course, I know I'll have to see and review this movie. But I'll wait until it's available for Rent -- No way I'm paying to sit through this garbage in theaters!  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>