Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > PARANOIA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of PARANOIA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of PARANOIA
    Posted: August 16 2013 at 7:39am

IF WE WERE as PARANOID as the CHARACTERS in THIS MOVIE, WE'D SUSPECT EVERYONE INVOLVED in PARANOIA HAD SET OUT to "WIN" THEMSELVES RAZZIES
®

AN OBVIOUS CASE of a "PACKAGED MOVIE," (ONE in WHICH ALL the ELEMENTS WERE PUT TOGETHER by BANKERS RATHER THAN CREATIVES) PARANOIA TOP-LINES THAT THICK-HEADED HUNK from LOVE and HONOR LIAM HEMSWORTH as a SPY WHO's PLAYING BOTH SIDES of a INDUSTRIAL RIVALRY. HIS "SUPER SECRET INSTRUCTIONS" for THIS DOUBLE MISSION APPARENTLY INCLUDE REPEATED DEMANDS THAT HE BE SHIRTLESS, NAKED (OR BOTH) as OFTEN as POSSIBLE.

TO TRY and LEND the FILM a SCOCHE of CREDIBILITY, the TWO WRANGLING CORPORATE HONCHOS ARE PLAYED by HARRISON FORD (WHO's STARTING to MAKE WILFORD BRIMLEY LOOK YOUTHFUL) and GARY OLDMAN (WHO's GETTING HIS WORST REVIEWS SINCE BEING a WORST SCREEN COUPLE NOMINEE as "REVEREND DANGLY BITS" in DEMI MOORE's RAZZIE "WINNING" SCARLET LETTER). 

THERE IS A FEMALE for HEMSWORTH to GET SHIRTLESS and/or NAKED WITH, BUT SINCE the FILM's MAKERS SEEM to HAVE PUT HER in THERE as an AFTERTHOUGHT, WHY EMBARRASS the ACTRESS by MENTIONING HER NAME? 

ALL of THESE FOLKS SPEND the ENTIRE FILM STRUGGLING with a SCRIPT THAT DOESN'T WORK, and a DIRECTOR WHO SEEMS to WORK in ABOUT a CLICHE' a MINUTE. 

THESE ELEMENTS ALL COMBINED to EARN PARANOIA the DIS-STINK-TION of REPLACING GROAN-UPS #2 as the #1 WORST REVIEWED MOVIE of SUMMER 2013 by ROTTEN TOMATOES (LINK).  

OH, and IT WASN'T ONLY a DUD with CRITICS -- IT's ALSO ONE of the BIGGEST B.O. BOMBS of the YEAR. 

NOW IT's YOUR TURN to INDULGE the PARANOID FANTASIES of EVERYONE WHO MADE THIS MOVIE, and THINK of ALL the REASONS WHY THIS DIM-WITTED DUD DESERVES a PLACE in OUR 2013 PANTHEON of PIDDLE...

TO HELP GETCHA GOING, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS MOVIE...  

...and HERE's the LINK to OUR FOTO FUNNY for IT.

FEEL FREE to POST WHATEVER PARANOID RAVINGS COME to MIND WHEN YOU THINK of THIS MOVIE...
AND, AZ ALWAZE...
ENJOY!

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 7:58am
Aside from the 4 stars (the ones in the poster), the film features Richard Dreyfuss in a supporting role. Other members have mentioned director Robert Luketic's previous bad romantic comedies, but I'd like to point out he also made another drama: "21". I gave it an 8/10, but most people hated it. The 2 script writers wrote 2 previous Razzie contenders: VANTAGE POINT and SPREAD.

R.T. (5%): "A cheap, unoriginal techno-thriller whose main performers look bored and/or incompetent".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 8:44am
I hate to "badmouth" on of my favorite websites, but sometimes I think whoever does the Tomatometer rating at RT goes out of their way to keep certain movie's numbers low. This film looks like a perfect example. It probably does suck (I haven't seen it, because it hasn't technically opened yet as I'm posting this) but I find it hard to believe it's actually worse than Grown Ups 2, which was something I could only sit through knowing I had to see it to properly mark my Razzie ballot at the end of the year. I guess the big difference will be that the Sandler POS made lotsa bux at the box office, while this one will probably go down in flames (and be all but forgotten) by the end of the month. 

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 11:52am
HeadRAZZ: Here's the write-up I did on this film when I was planning to set up a Member Started Forum. You're more than welcome to fall back on it if need be...

THIS CORPORATE THRILLER, ADAPTED FROM A NOVEL BY JOSEPH FINDER, FOUND THE WORST POSSIBLE MATCH BEHIND THE CAMERA: ROBERT LUKETIC, KNOWN FOR SUCH INFAMOUS RAZZIE CONTENDERS AS MONSTER-IN-LAW (2005), THE UGLY TRUTH (2009), AND KILLERS (2010), BUT STARRING SUCH TALENTED FACES AS HARRISON FORD, GARY OLDMAN, AND THE HUNGER GAMES' LIAM HEMSWORTH!

IN THIS VERSION OF PARANOIA, TWO PLANETARY TECHNOLOGY CORPORATIONS ARE AT WAR. THE LEAD CHARACTER, CASSIDY, IS SENT ON A CORPORATE ESPIONAGE MISSION, ONLY TO GET CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR WAR. BEFORE LONG, HIS BOSS TURNS HOMICIDAL IN THE QUEST FOR MULTIPLE BILLION DOLLARS.

WHAT THE (CENSORED) ARE HAN SOLO, SIRIUS BLACK, AND GALE HAWTHORNE DOING IN A FILM DIRECTED BY THE MAN BEHIND TWO NOTORIOUS KATHERINE HEIGL BOMBS? DO YOU THINK WE HAVE A WORST DIRECTOR SHOO-IN ON OUR HANDS? 

JOIN THE DISCUSSION BELOW AND MAKE EVERY AWARD-SEEKING FILMMAKER'S PARANOIA INTO REAL FEAR! 

Originally posted by Vits

The 2 script writers wrote 2 previous Razzie contenders: VANTAGE POINT and SPREAD.

Actually, Vantage Point lost against Witless Protection for Worst New Film of the Week on February 22, 2008.  

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 1:24pm
Well, I can't say I'm surprised.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 3:07pm
DaveCampbell: I doubt that critics were comparing PARANOIA to GROWN-UPS PART 2 while watching it... 
davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 3:42pm
Vits -- I wasn't suggesting the critics were comparing the two films, I was talking about whoever it is at RT that comes up with the Tomatometer numbers, which I think are blatantly subjective. And, in the case of Paranoia (which has now slipped down to a 2% RT Rating) clearly imply that this lame "thriller" is somehow "worse" than Grown Ups 2 (which, currently sporting an RT Rating of 7%, had been RT's Worst Reviewed Movie of Summer). 

While it's obviously an "apples and oranges" situation to compare a comedy and a drama, the message of the "Tomatometer" here is clearly that Paranoia is somehow (and substantially) inferior to a blatantly dumb-ass, lazy Adam Sandler sequel. 

What I am calling RT on is their system of devising those ratings, and their failure to acknowledge that they do (at least sometimes) skew them for their own purposes... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 3:53pm
Well, I haven't seen either film, but maybe it could be because nobody had expectations with either of the GROWN-UPS movies, while PARANOIA stars 2 previous Oscar nominees.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 3:53pm
What davecampbell needs to understand is that it isn't just one, nor even a couple of people, who determine the percentages at Rotten Tomatoes. The Tomatometer is based on professional reviews and film news columns collected and aggregated into one whole. Each review above 60% (B- and above) is Fresh, and each review below 60% (C+ and below) is counted as Rotten. A lot more critics were familiar with Grown-Ups 2, so it had a lot more reviews. Out of 90 reviews, there were 6 Fresh reviews (for whatever reason) but a whopping 84 Rotten ones! Paranoia right now only has 48 reviews, 1 Fresh, 47 Rotten. The second factor of the scale is sheer quantity of Fresh and Rotten reviews, and in this case, Grown-Ups 2 is more notoriously bad, with nearly twice as many Rotten reviews as Paranoia.

Anyways, I'd recommend this film only be considered for Worst Director, despite the atrocious reviews.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 4:01pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: To give some perspective on DaveCampbell's point of view, here's the LINK to compare PARANOIA's MetaCritic Rating (a much less damning 34 out of 100) to what it currently has on RT (still 2% as I post this). 

I think a reasonable argument can be made that one or the other of these sites has some kind of "agenda," or the two numbers wouldn't be so wildly out of whack...   
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
travis112096 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote travis112096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 8:40pm
you know something's strange when a movie with adam sandler and kevin james is better than a movie with harrison ford and gary oldman
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 5:43pm

I've seen two reviews that said Liam Hemsworth runs "like a girl." JeremyJahns' was one of them, ChrisStuckmann's is the other.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

DaveThePhotoGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveThePhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 11:40am
WOW! How can two great actors pick such garbage? Just seen the trailer to it, and I've seen the film done before (and better -- "Cypher" with Lucy Lui and Jeremy Northam).

Oh and by the way guys, there is no scheduled release date for this film in the UK! 
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 3:10pm
Many people confuse Laim with his brother, Chris Hemsworth, who starred in Thor.

Although, I guess they do look pretty similar.

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 11:50am
Here is one of the sillier scenes from the movie: 

Post Reply Post Reply