Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Discussion & Add'l Info / RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of RISE of APES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of RISE of APES
    Posted: August 01 2011 at 7:26pm
Yeah, because you never know: One moment, they're fresh...the next, they're rotten.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 12:27pm
Check this review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-btfdTB5_10
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 7:07am
87% on rotten tomatoes and 37 reviews are counted. 
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 12:06pm
49 reviews by now and still 82% positive. Have to admit, I was expecting worse. Even more curious about it now.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 2:18pm
R.T.(78-85%): "Led by Rupert Wyatt's stylish direction, some impressive special effects, and a mesmerizing performance by Andy Serkis, the movie breathes unlikely new life into a long-running franchise."  

Roger Ebert(3/4): "One never knows exactly where the human ends and the effects begin, but Serkis and/or CAESAR gives the best performance in the movie."  

Meanwhile,THE CHANGE-UP has enough bad reviews to be a contender. But is it too late?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:01pm
Wait,  did this movie just pull a "Fast & Furious 5"?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Excellent analogy!  Based on its TV spots (and most of its promos) I doubt I was alone in assuming RISE would be a clunker. But when I saw the full trailer for it earlier this week, and noticed early reviews were mostly glowing, I realized APES #8 might actually have potential to be good. Now it's a matter of whether its box office thrives, or this monkey withers on the vine.

Speaking of box office, I am with-holding starting a Forum on CHANGE UP to see how it does with audiences. Critics obviously despise the film, but I think predictions that it will open poorly (to less than $15 million) are massively underestimating how well promos for this film sell it. The audience I saw the CHANGE UP trailer with laughed long and loudly throughout it... 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:08pm
It's not the fifth in the series,  and the first one is considered excellent. 

I just think it surprised us, that's all.Wink  

Originally posted by Michaels

Wait, did this movie just pull a "Fast & Furious 5"?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 4:35pm
Or it might be an un-needed cash grab sequel/prequel/reboot that somehow managed to get a fresh rating.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 5:25pm
I love it how "pulling a fast five" is starting to become a real phrase here on the forums....
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 6:05pm
I hope it becomes more popular outside the forums.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 6:23pm
Why? Did you hear/read it somewere else...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 6:58pm
No, but it's catchy and legit, like "nuke the fridge," so I hope it catches on... 
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 7:27pm
At this rate, there may be room yet on my Bottom 40 Films of 2011 for On Stranger Tides and The Hangover Part II. Do any of you have any insights as to why people love all these high-numbered sequels when their predecessors got negative reviews? Now I'm certain I need to take James Edward Franco off my recommendations list.

And I don't know if there's much point to adding a forum for The Change-Up. Rotten T gave it in the 30's on the Tomatometer, and there's not much RAZZIE pedigree to justify nominating it anyway.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 7:03am
What do you mean? The first HANGOVER had good reviews, PIRATES 2 and 3 had average, and RISE OF THE APES isn't really Part 5. 

Originally posted by GTAHater767

At this rate, there may be room yet on my Bottom 40 Films of 2011 for On Stranger Tides and The Hangover Part II. Do any of you have any insights as to why people love all these high-numbered sequels when their predecessors got negative reviews?
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 10:26am
When I said "high-numbered sequels," I wasn't talking about Hangover and Caribbean. I guess I came off wrong AGAIN! I was talking about Fast Five and Rise of the Planet of the Apes beating the odds and getting great reviews. If Rise of the Planet is barely part 5, what is it more like? And I still want to know how Fast Five and RotPotA managed such high review scores.  

Originally posted by Vits

What do you mean? The first HANGOVER had good reviews, PIRATES 2 and 3 had average, and RISE OF THE APES isn't really Part 5. 

Originally posted by GTAHater767

At this rate, there may be room yet on my Bottom 40 Films of 2011 for On Stranger Tides and The Hangover Part II. Do any of you have any insights as to why people love all these high-numbered sequels when their predecessors got negative reviews?
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 2:18pm
I just got back from seeing this, and I thought it was pretty good. Andy Serkis stole the entire show. Also, there's one of those "end credit scenes" -- Don't worry, it starts only a minute or two after the credits begin. 

My Grade: B 
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>