Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > SMURFS #2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of SMURFS #2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of SMURFS #2
    Posted: July 27 2013 at 7:48am

WE ARE PROUD to SAY OUR OWN NOW TEEN-AGED KID WAS NEVER a FAN of THOSE LITTLE BLUE TURD-PILES KNOWN as THE SMURFS... 

...and THANK GOD for THAT, SINCE the SUPPOSEDLY "ADORABLE" NATURE of the SMURFS (and EVERYTHING ABOUT THEIR "CUTE" WORLD and "ADORABLE" WORLD VIEW) MAKES US WANNA BLOW BLUEBERRIES. 

THE FIRST SMURFS MOVIE, THOUGH NAUSEATING in the EXTREME, SOMEHOW GOT AWAY WITHOUT a SINGLE RAZZIE® NOMINATION. THAT MAY HAPPEN AGAIN, BUT at LEAST WE'RE PROVIDING FELLOW "BLUE BIGOTS" the CHANCE to VENT THEIR INTOLERANCE HERE. 

AND, IF IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE to HOW OFFENDED YOU ARE by the VERY EXISTENCE of SMURFS, IT's ALREADY BEEN ANNOUNCED THAT THERE WILL BE a SMURFS 3 in 2015...

TO BOLSTER ALL YOU "BLUE-BASHERS," HERE's the LINK to OUR INFO PAGE on THIS FILM... 

...and TO GIVE YOU BOTH a CHUCKLE (and a REASON to HOPE HUMANITY MAY SURVIVE THIS ONSLAUGHT of CRIMINAL CUTENESS) HERE's the LINK to SEE the FOTO FUNNY for SMURFS #2... 

NOW, GET to WORK COMING UP WITH ALL the MANY WAYS the MAKERS of SMURFS 2 
"BLUE IT"...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 2:21pm
I want to ask a serious question:

Since Jonathan Winters passed away a few months ago, does this mean that Smurfs 2 is ineligible for Worst Screen Ensemble?

If audiences just want something "cute," just watch this for the running time Smurfs 2. It'll be a much better use of their time:  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 2:27pm
I am still wondering why this movie even got a sequel. It's just as reckless and stupid as giving Grown Ups a Sequel. Like I said before though, young kids can be extremely uninformed about films, since they don't know anything about good film-making yet.

I haven't seen the first Smurfs film and, quite frankly I don't want to. I just recovered from Bucky Larson after all, and just I can't take any more stupidity.

P.S- I am really sorry to hear of Michael's loss of his brother James. All of us are here for him...     

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I assume your P.S. refers to the recent "In Memoriam" item (LINK). 
I posted it at the request of Mike Murdoch, who wanted some way to memorialize his brother James' lifelong love of lousy movies, and the RAZZIES® in particular. 

I think it's a moving and appropriate tribute... 

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 2:28pm
Most of the cast and crew are back, as well as director Raja Gosnell (I can't believe he hasn't even been nominated for a Razzie yet). The new additions to the cast are Brendan Gleeson as Neil Patrick Harris' dad, and, Christina Ricci and J.B. Smoove as those evil grey SMURFS.
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

I am still wondering why this movie even got a sequel. It's just as reckless and stupid as giving Grown Ups a Sequel.
One of the positive non-negative things I can say about the 1st movie is that it didn't really have bad messages, which is rare in family movies these days.
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

I just recovered from Bucky Larson after all and I can't take any more stupidity.
They're different types of stupid. BUCKY LARSON tries to be stupid.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 2:31pm
Last I read, Gleeson was playing Harris' stepfather.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 2:50pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Oiram: Although Jonathan Winters (and his amazing, rapid-fire sense of humor) was one of my favorite comedians of the 20th century, his recent passing has no impact on whether SMURFS 2 would be eligible for consideration as Worst Screen Ensemble

The more relevant question is: How are the makers of this franchise going to 'replace" Winters' voice in SMURFS 3?? 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 2:53pm
So, what you're saying is that if Smurfs 2 gets nominated for Worst Screen Ensemble, then that would technically be the Razzies first posthumous nomination? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So far as I know, yes. But I don't actually expect SMURFS 2 will wind up being nominated in that category... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 2:57pm
Not to disrespect Winters, but most young people don't know who he was. Besides, I don't think his voice work in the SMURFS movies is iconic enough for people to notice if they replace him. It's kinda like Jim Varney as SLINKY.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 8:01pm
I speculate that The Smurfs dodged the 2011 RAZZIES because it got knocked aside trying to compete against Happy Madison, Transformers, and Twilight, which, together with Garry Marshall's second holiday anthology New Year's Eve, swept the 2011 RAZZIE nominations. I voted for The Smurfs in at least one category to my memory, and while I agree with Happy Madison related films taking about 1/3 of the nominations, I didn't agree with nearly ALL the rest going to Bayformers and Twilight with nothing left for The Smurfs, Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs Evil, Atlas Shrugged Part I, or The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence). NOW do you people see why I keep advocating for such a wide variety of different films to get nominated every year?

Anyways, even if the Smurfs trilogy makes less and less money from now until 2015, Hollywood won't learn a thing from any more box office bombs. I just KNOW they'll greenlight a 4th one. We can NEVER give Hollywood the benefit of the doubt with such sugary franchises anymore. If anything, I think Hollywood likes making money off long-running series of films that started out bad, and the money they make from this gives them the most pleasure!

EDIT: I just thought of something else. Alvin and the Chipmunks films seem to follow the Transformers wherever they go in theatres: The 4 Transformers films were or will be released towards the middle of 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014 respectively, and then each Alvin and the Chipmunks film followed each Bayformers film at the end of those very same years. The reason Alvin and the Chipmunks will never beat Bayformers (and indeed ALWAYS dodge the RAZZIE finals) is because people who grew up with the Transformers cartoon hold the memory precious, perhaps even sacred, while many people who grew up with the Chipmunks were NOT fond of the squeaky falsettos. On top of (at least Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon) getting low review scores, Michael Bay, one of the most hated directors EVER, made the Transformers films, and he raped our brethren's childhoods, whereas there was nothing so profound to lose with the Alvin and the Chipmunks films, which had a far more sparse backstory.

To oiram: Don't worry about any posthumous nomination for this film; the milestone for first posthumous RAZZIE nomination will take a while longer. If the first one couldn't even make the finals for the 2011 RAZZIES, this one probably will be a finalist for only 2 categories at most, namely Worst Prequel, Sequel, Crossover, or Spin-off. Speaking of which, there'll be a lot more bad secondary installments to come in the next five months. We'll just HAVE to split them into "Worst Prequel, Sequel, Crossover, or Spinoff" and "Worst Remake, Reboot, Adaptation, or Rip-off"!
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 8:45am
Father Abraham and the Smurfs...

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 12:14pm
NOTE from Head RAZZberry: For purposes of continuity on our Forum, I have recently begun moving Vits' many posts linking to online reviews from the main Members' Discussion pages to the "Review" pages for films under current consideration. 

Vits has posted links for both Jeremy Jahn's and What the Flick's reviews of SMURFS #2 -- Here's the LINK to find them in their "new home." They're the 3rd and 4th  items down the page, so you may have to scroll to view them... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 12:08pm
R.T. (15%): "Like its predecessor, it may amuse small children, but it's largely an unambitious, charm-free collection of slapstick gags and one-liners".
davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 12:21pm
As if the regular promotional stuff for Smurfs 2 isn't bad enough, Fandango has a whole page of "Smurfy Facts" on their website (having bought tickets to something from Fandango in the past, I am apparently on their "permanent Spam list"). 

Here's the link -- You might want to inhale deeply before clicking, so you can hold your breath while reading 'em... 

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 7:11am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Not that we'd actually bring back the entire category of Worst Song just to RAZZ one dippy ditty, but I noticed the fine print at the bottom of the L.A. Times' display ad for SMURFS #2 reads: "Featuring the new Britney Spears single 'Ooh La-La." 

I must admit, that combination of artist and song title is Berry Tempting... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 10:53am
According to Box Office Mojo, this came in third behind 2 Guns and The Wolverine on Friday. This pleases me no end!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 7:22pm
So HeadRAZZ, spectacular news. Not only did Smurfs 2 underperformed here in the US, but it bombed in Europe as well.

*cue the Hallelujah music*

Source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/smurftastic-start-sequel-opens-to-modest-5-6m-domestic-but-big-international-hopes/
Pictures move, do they?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>