Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > THAT'S MY BOY!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of THAT'S MY BOY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of THAT'S MY BOY
    Posted: June 11 2012 at 10:39am
ALTHOUGH IT'S ALL BUT MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for THIS to MATCH the UNPRECEDENTED FEAT ACHIEVED by LAST YEAR's SANDLER SWILL JACK & JILL, THAT'S MY BOY SURE LOOKS LIKELY to BE ONE of 2012's MAJOR RAZZIE® CONTENDERS. 

AND IF the MOVIE PLAYS az WELL in THEATRES az the GROAN-and-BOO-INDUCING TRAILER HAS BEEN for WEEKS NOW, SANDLER's LONG REIGN of TERROR az a BIG BOX OFFICE "COMEDY" STAR MAY FINALLY BE COMING to an END... 

WELL, WE CAN DREAM, CAN'T WE?!?!  

FEEL FREE to POST YER BOMBAST BELOW and/or USE THIS LINK to CHECK OUT Ye Olde Head RAZZberry's FOTO FUNNY on THAT'S MY BOY...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 11:24am
Okay, So I saw a review where someone said that Vanilla Ice was the best part of the movie -- Is that bad, or is that bad?!?  

Also, I'm in a bit of a quandary here: We have three possible contenders for Worst Supporting Actress in this movie that could all be really juicy targets. We have Leighton Meester, that woman who married Borat (Luenell), and Susan Saradon. I see no sign of Sarandon in the trailers (though her real life daughter shows up), leading me to believe that she must appear towards the end in a "heart-wrenching" scene. Don't know for sure, but that's my guess. Really, what I'm trying to get at here is that I doubt all three of them will make the Nominating Ballot. Which one would you choose, Headrazz?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since it's not being pre-screened, I have not yet seen the film. But based on who she is (and what she should be doing with her talents) my gut sez to go with Sarandon, who is, after all, clearly capable of better things... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 11:43am
I've read a few User Reviews from people on IMDB, some of them saying it was funny, others saying it wasn't. However, many did say the entire theater was left in stitches...  

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 12:01pm
It's gonna suck so bad.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 4:05pm
Not sure if it's merely another movie with the same title, or Sandler's film is a remake of an old Martin & Lewis comedy from the mid-1950s, but when I Googled "That's My Boy movie poster," this is one of the images that came up... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 4:15pm
I'd like to point out that Sandler rarely does R-rated movies. I don't know, maybe that'll change something. He hasn't been nominated for a Vits Award yet, but he's in major consideration for JACK & JILL. But the cast does include Vits Award nominees:
-Andy Samberg (winner for Best Comedy Song as a member of The Lonely Island). His first lead role (HOT ROD) was a box office flop.
-Leighton Meester (nominated for Best Movie Ensemble and Worst TV Ensemble). She should've been nominated for a Razzie last year.
-Nick Swardson (nominated for Worst Over-The-Top Movie Performance). Do I need to say more?
The other acting legend who could be nominated for a Razzie is James Caan. Also, despite not being directed by him, there's a cameo by Dennis Dugan. When WHAT THE FLICK said that Sandler should get rid of him, they didn't mean just as a director!

The script writer is David Caspe, creator of HAPPY ENDINGS. I've never seen it, but it's considered one of the best current Sitcoms that never gets nominated for anything. The director is Sean Anders, who previously directed SEX DRIVE, considered the least bad Teen Movie of the last couple of years. He also wrote HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE and Vits Award nominee for Worst Movie Actress MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS, all average comedies.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 3:26am
I suppose this movie's gonna (once again) prove that Adam Sandler is one of the many dictionary definitions of 'Razzie Bait' and has an acting range narrower than the inside of a straw...
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 4:34am
I checked. The plot of the 1950's That's My Boy has Martin's character trying to get Lewis's character to become a football player. The Adam Sandler film is about him trying to get a sum of money from his son to stay out of jail. Different plot lines, so I'd say it doesn't count as a remake.

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

Not sure if it's merely another movie with the same title, or Sandler's film is a remake of an old Martin & Lewis comedy from the mid-1950s, but when I Googled "That's My Boy movie poster," this is one of the images that came up... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 2:16pm
Let me guess: The 2012 That's My Boy involves Adam Sandler's character trying to come up with money to bond out of prison on charges of armed bank robbery?

Does anyone here find it suspicious that there are still no pre-release reviews on Rotten T or Metacritic, with just 3 days to go before release? When a film with RAZZIE pedigree has to hide its reviews from everyone, that usually implies a single-digit percent approval rating is impending, and I think that's definitely the case here. Alas, I doubt this'll win Worst Picture, because I don't recall two consecutive Worst Picture winners with the same lead actor. 

All 4 films Adam Sandler was involved in last year made the bottom 10 tier of the Bottom 40 Films of 2011: Zookeeper got #9, Just Go With It got #6, Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star got #2, and Jack and Jill got #1.

...and yet my intuition says Candy Land will be worse than Jack and Jill and equally as bad as Born to Be a Star, and that the Tonka film will be about as bad as Anger Management (Bottom 40 Films of 2003, #29) or Grown-Ups (Bottom 40 Films of 2010, #13)
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 4:16pm
Underworld Awakening wasn't pre-screened for critics either. 

I think the real reason they're not pre-screening this is because they know most of the critics don't like Adam Sandler (not that it will matter at the box office).

Additionally the Three Stooges didn't have any reviews posted until two days before it's release, however it was part of it's diotic marketing (the commercials only showed one positive review, instead of going for the other positive reviews that had been made, making it out to be a complete disaster). But Stooges ended up with a 47% positive at RT.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 4:57pm
I'm not saying the reviews on this film will be as bad as Jack and Jill or Born to Be a Star. But the only thing standing between this film and us is Sean Anders' resume. His only director credit is Sex Drive (2008), with a below average approval rating of 46%. If Adam Sandler is still the "patience tester" that he's been since the 3rd quarter of 2011, then this'll probably get somewhere in the 20-29% range of approval ratings. 

And I'm calling Rock of Ages a flop because its reviews are oscillating between 25 and 35% approval rating, and since Adam Shankman's bad credits outweigh his good, it'll probably end up in the upper 20's at the highest. With the shortage of RAZZIE contenders so far this year, I'm thinking both That's My Boy and Rock of Ages could be considered "ours."  
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 2:41pm
Matthew Pejkovic of Matt's Movie Reviews says, "Funny in some spots, idiotic in others and a combination of both during its moments of raunchy insanity, That's My Boy is a suitably moronic entry into the canon of Adam Sandler's man-child comedies."  Here's the LINK so you can read the full review...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 6:24pm
This is the movie that Dan Patrick and "the Danettes" appear in. It's utterly bewildering to me that a reasonably respected sports personality like Patrick would stoop to this...but I guess publicity is publicity?!?  
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 6:49pm
I was just looking over the "all star cast" for this train wreck. I noted above that Dan Patrick and the Danettes are making an appearance...but here are a few other notables. Vanilla Ice, as someone noted above. If this is his vehicle to attempt to revive his almost career, I'm thinking he is in for a bitter disappointment. James Caan...answering the looming question, how deep is James Caan's career flushed? Tony Orlando...Dawn is not making an appearance. But one can only wonder how many retirement homes and large cardboard boxes they had to sift through on Hollywood Boulevard to find him. Luenell and Ciara....at this moment I have to confess I have no idea who either one of them are. Maybe they should use their royalties from this film to buy last names. Susan Sarandon...the question "why?" comes to mind. Rex Ryan...perhaps he is looking for a new gig after the looming Tebow disaster in New York wrecks his coaching career. Alan Thicke...I suspect he will be wearing a "LOOK! I'M STILL ALIVE!" tee shirt. Four other cast members with the last name "Sandler." Nespotism much? Rich Eisen...I guess just being a writer for Sports Illustrated isn't enough for some guys.  Todd Bridges....evidently he is out on bond....and hundreds of others!
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 6:57pm
Luenell played the woman that Borat ended up marrying. Ciara is an R&B singer. I've never heard any of her songs except one called Love Sex Magic featuring Justin Timberlake.

Oh, and you forgot to mention that Eva Amurri, Susan's real life daughter. Eva plays the younger version of Susan's character in this.

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I was just looking over the "all star cast" for this train wreck. I noted above that Dan Patrick and the Danettes are making an appearance...but here are a few other notables. Vanilla Ice, as someone noted above. If this is his vehicle to attempt to revive his almost career, I'm thinking he is in for a bitter disappointment. James Caan...answering the looming question, how deep is James Caan's career flushed? Tony Orlando...Dawn is not making an appearance. But one can only wonder how many retirement homes and large cardboard boxes they had to sift through on Hollywood Boulevard to find him. Luenell and Ciara....at this moment I have to confess I have no idea who either one of them are. Maybe they should use their royalties from this film to buy last names. Susan Sarandon...the question "why?" comes to mind. Rex Ryan...perhaps he is looking for a new gig after the looming Tebow disaster in New York wrecks his coaching career. Alan Thicke...I suspect he will be wearing a "LOOK! I'M STILL ALIVE!" tee shirt. Four other cast members with the last name "Sandler." Nespotism much? Rich Eisen...I guess just being a writer for Sports Illustrated isn't enough for some guys.  Todd Bridges....evidently he is out on bond....and hundreds of others!

mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 11:00am
It's sitting at 17% right now. Gosh, I'm as excited as a child the day before Christmas. I want Sandler to be our Returning Champion. Can't wait to see how bad this is! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>