Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > THAT'S MY BOY!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of THAT'S MY BOY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of THAT'S MY BOY
    Posted: June 17 2012 at 11:28pm
Now, now Joe -- Not all '80s music sucked dead elephant lungs! Sure, that decade gave us Bon Jovi, Poison, Starship, Skid Row and other hack bands, but it, also gave us Metallica, Prince, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, and others.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 8:56am
UP-DATE from Head RAZZberry: This morning's Los Angeles Times features a lengthy article by industry analyst Patrick Goldstein openly asking whether the disastrous grosses for THAT'S MY BOY (B.O. MoJo LINK) suggest that, in the wake of this film and last year's RAZZIE® Sweeping JACK & JILL, Adam Sandler has "jumped the shark." Here's the LINK to read the complete Times article...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 2:57pm
The article is right about something having changed in his career, but I don't think it has as much to do with him as the fact that his fans have grown up while he hasn't. We already know the specific type of movie Sandler has to make to gross over $100 million, and I think THAT'S MY BOY being R-rated meant that his fans saw it as a different movie (just like with his less-successful dramas). I don't think it was him jumping the shark. How could he have run out of ideas now if all his movies are so similar? And I don't think he's too old for doing his routine, because juvenile humour can't get old. That's why he won a Kids Choice Award for JACK & JILL.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: It may seem to be nit-picking, I'm pretty sure Sandler's Kids' Choice win was generically for Favorite Comedy Actor, rather than specifically for any one film. Lest we forget, Sandler had a role, either on-screen or behind-the-scenes, in four 2011 movies: JUST GO WITH IT, ZOOKEEPER and BUCKY LARSON, as well as the egregious JACK & JILL...  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 4:09pm
No doubt that Sandler jas jumped the shark, but I actually think that he jumped it with that crappy Mr. Deeds remake. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and The Waterboy are "stupid fun" movies, Big Daddy was his first truely bad "Adam Sandler" movie, so I'll cut him some slack, and while Little Nicky was horrically unwatchable, at least Sandler actually tried something "new" with that. Mr. Deeds, on the other hand, was just a lazy regurgitation of his past roles and is (with exception of his roles in non "Adam Sandler" movies) the only role he's played in the past decade.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

It may seem to be nit-picking, but I'm pretty sure Sandler's Kids' Choice win was generically for Favorite Comedy Actor, rather than specifically for any one film. Lest we forget, Sandler had a role, either on-screen or behind-the-scenes, in four 2011 movies: JUST GO WITH IT, ZOOKEEPER and BUCKY LARSON, as well as the egregious JACK & JILL...

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Okay, I stand corrected. And I gotta say, if the voters in the Kids' Choice Awards singled out Sandler specifically for JACK & JILL, it certainly points out their lack of taste or judgment!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 8:03pm
I think it's less Jack & Jill being his best to the deciders and more that being the only movie they could nominate him for. He was barely in Zookeeper, wasn't even in Bucky Larson, and Just Go With It was a PG-13 sex comedy and the moral guardians would be, rightfully, upset that a movie like that was nominated. Meanwhile, Jack & Jill was rated PG.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 7:12am
True. Although, some PG-13 movies have been nominated in the past (including some starring Sandler).
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 8:15pm
After watching "That's My Boy" I am convinced that it deserves Razzie nominations. 

Adam Sandler should be nominated for Worst Actor. As usual, his performance is annoyingly terrible. 

Nick Swardson should be nominated for Worst Supporting Actor. He just as annoying as Adam Sandler. 

Leighton Meester should get the nomination for Worst Supporting Actress. Her performance was quite wooden. 

Director Sean Anders deserves the Worst Director nomination for constructing this crap. He definitely put too much emphasis on crudeness and not enough on actual humor. 

Screenwriter David Caspe is worthy of getting the nod for Worst Screenplay. After watching the movie it's obvious that he could have easily written a decent satirical piece. Unfortunately he followed Adam Sandler's orders and wrote a bad farce. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 1:03pm
This picture is a very accurate one.
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 3:36am
Ok, I'm going to man up now, and admit that I didn't hate the movie (as a whole) as much as I expected to. Since I always try to go into a film with an open mind and be objective, I will say that I don't think it was as unwatchable as Jack and Jill. The judge at the beginning made me chuckle, as did the New Kids tattoo. And when Han gets stunned and farts I had to laugh (even though I tried to stop myself) I also didn't mind Leighton Meester and even felt sympathetic to Samberg's character.
I particularly can't stand Sandler's acting. I always see Sandler, even with a terribly annoying voice and outfit, as just being Sandler. Who knows, with some unknown, talented actor I might have enjoyed this a little more. 

The worst thing about it was the story. The beginning was just plain terrible, it's so low, gloryfying child molestation, disguised as every teenage boy's dream. Inbetween it's making fun of psychological problems the son carries from having experienced a difficult childhood. The ending is almost equally tasteless. All stuffed into a supposedly "funny" comedy movie, which is not meant to be taken seriously. 

FYC: Adam Sandler for Worst Actor, Nick Swardson for WSA, Worst Screenplay for David Caspe, Worst Screen Couple Milo Ventemiglia and Leighton Meester

travis112096 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote travis112096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 11:11pm
If the final Twilight doesn't "win," then I predict this will -- based on "Razzie pedigree" and the fact that it even failed to make its budget back...  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 1:29pm
I wasn't planning on seeing this so soon, but I just did because requests are priorities to me.
Wink
For your consideration:
-Worst Actor for Adam Sandler.
-Worst Supp. Actor for both Nick Swardson and James Caan.
-Worst Ensemble.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Picture.

Here's something funny: Although Armond White usually likes bad movies, this time he said that there's a conspiracy related to the hatred of Sandler's movies. By the way, here's another review (one closer to our thoughts).
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

ALTHOUGH IT'S ALL BUT MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for THIS to MATCH the UNPRECEDENTED FEAT ACHIEVED by LAST YEAR's SANDLER SWILL JACK & JILL
Personally, I think it is worse.
Originally posted by oiram

Okay, So I saw a review where someone said that Vanilla Ice was the best part of the movie
The 2nd best part. The best was Todd Bridges.
Originally posted by Dun-Ida

Screenwriter David Caspe is worthy of getting the nod for Worst Screenplay. After watching the movie it's obvious that he could have easily written a decent satirical piece. Unfortunately he followed Adam Sandler's orders and wrote a bad farce.
I don't know, man (or woman?). While Sandler usually has creative control over the jokes, the storylines are usually the same before and after he puts his claws on the script. It felt like Caspe did want to make a story that promotes comformism.
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2012 at 1:56pm
Oh f**k. So, according to Armond White That's My Boy is a misunderstood piece of art, judged by elitistic sophisticated snotnoses. Women licking your jizz - must be art then. Farting - a form of f*art. Adam Sandler - the one who dares to point out "taboos" of our society - must be amazing and we are all blind fools. I would give Sandler props for doing so - if only he had actually succeeded in "pinpointing" stuff out to his audience. After all, how many have started to actively support the law in the fight against child molestation, incest or child abuse? My guesstimation would be really low, and I can't blame anybody, since the movie buried serious subjects underneath tons of bad jokes, unrelateable characters, an unrealistic story and sh*t acting. And in comparision, how many people have laughed about it and not wasted another thought?
If Sandler has had holier than holy goals, he fell hard, since those terribly awfully mean dumb movie goers weren't even interested in what he had to say. And obviously noone took it seriously anyways. FAIL.

EDIT: I'm still annoyed about that lame conspiracy theory. Also, I'm curious what messages Sandler was sending with Jack & Jill according to White.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by mbh

I'm curious what messages Sandler was sending with Jack & Jill according to White.
The same he did in this and most of his movies: "Family is important". Although, throughout the years, it's been more like "You have to tolerate your family, even if they're the worst people in the world". Yeah, I know people who follow that rule.
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 12:58pm
Well duh! Most of us wouldn't have a choice as long as we want to inherit our parents' money. I'm not sure of any other reasons for pushing fake loyalty if there are any.
But no, following White's theories, that would be too easy. Adam Sandler is a genius, remember? There MUST be more to the movie than the obvious tagline. No way the movie was simply a piece of sh*t and failed despite whatever good or bad intentions! It's just that people weren't smart enough to get it, ya know?
Anyway, hopefully Nick Swardson will get what's coming to him.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 12:55pm
Skip to 00:57.

Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>