Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE CALL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of THE CALL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of THE CALL
    Posted: March 13 2013 at 9:33am

WE HAVE THREE BASIC CRITERIA for HELPING US DETERMINE WHAT IS a LIKELY RAZZIE® CONTENDER: 

1) REVIEWS (or LACK of THEM) BEFORE the FILM OPENS...

2) BOX OFFICE POTENTIAL (FOR SUCCESS...or, MORE RELEVANTLY, FAILURE)...

and 

3) WHAT WE CALL a FILM's "AWARD PEDIGREE" -- DOES the TALENT INVOLVED in THIS FILM HAVE a "HISTORY" with EITHER the OSCARS® (IN WHICH CASE THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN to DO SUB-PAR MATERIAL) and/or DO THEY HAVE a "HISTORY" with OUR AWARDS

ALL THREE of THESE, UNFORTUNATELY, EXPLAIN WHY THE CALL (A SUPPOSED "THRILLER" THAT SEEMS LITERALLY "PHONED IN") IS THIS WEEK's WORST of the WEAK PICK. 

WHEN SHE SHOWED UP at OUR 2005 CEREMONIES and GRACIOUSLY (and HILARIOUSLY) ACCEPTED HER WORST ACTRESS RAZZIE® for CATWOMAN (LINK) WE WERE HOPING HALLE BERRY WAS GOING to MOVE on to BIGGER and BETTER PROJECTS -- ONES THAT BEHOOVED HER STATUS as a DESERVING OSCAR® WINNER.

SORRY to SAY, BOTH of HER 2013 TITLES SO FAR DON'T INDICATE THAT OUR HOPES HAVE BEEN MET. 

BERRY IS AMONG the DOZENS of ACTORS HUMILIATED by THEIR CAMEO APPEARANCES in MOVIE 43, ONE of the YEAR'S WORST-REVIEWED FILMS. 

NOW COMES THE CALL, a MOVIE SO UNORIGINAL in CONCEPT THAT a 9-YEAR-OLD COULD NAME at LEAST ONE of the OTHER MOVIES IT WAS "INSPIRED BY."  

THE STORY: A YOUNG WOMAN IS KIDNAPPED, STUFFED into the TRUNK of a CAR...and THEN MAKES a CELLPHONE CALL to 911 -- FROM WHICH POINT HALLE STAYS on the LINE TRYING to HELP the KIDNAP VICTIM SURVIVE HER ORDEAL. 

AMONG THIS FILM'S PREDECESSORS/ANCESTORS IS the 2004 "THRILLER" CELLULAR, STARRING FELLOW RAZZIE® "REPEAT OFFENDER" KIM BASINGER.  

THE FACT THAT CALL WAS BARELY PRE-SCREENED for CRITICS, and THAT JUST DAYS BEFORE IT WAS SET to OPEN, INTEREST in IT at the IMDb ROSE a MEASLY 6%(!) CONTRIBUTED to OUR CHOOSING THE CALL for THIS WEEK's DISCUSSION SUBJECT. 

HERE'S HOPING HALLE FINDS MORE SUITABLE MATERIAL for FUTURE PROJECTS -- PERVERSE AS IT MAY SOUND, WE'RE ROOTING for HER to DO SO...and SOON. 

HERE's the LINK for OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS FILM...

...and HERE's the LINK for Ye Olde Head RAZZberry's FOTO FUNNY on THE CALL...

NOW IT's YOUR CALL...STAY on the LINE and TELL US WHATCHA THINK! 

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:55am
I'd like to point that, while this seems to be a direct rip-off of CELLULAR, it's not like that one was all that original either. Movies about an Average Joe getting a phone call which gets him/her into a criminal situation go back all the way to at least the '70s with THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123.

As I said before, director Brad Anderson hasn't made a bad movie so far... but maybe this one will be it.

Does anyone else think that, if this movie is bad enough, Abigail Breslin should get Razzie consideration?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 5:00pm

Yeah, I had a feeling that The Call was gonna be so "paint by numbers" that it could be an insult to the term itself.  

I want to say, though, I feel sympathy for Halle, because  I have seen this happen before: When someone is in a bad movie that got universally bad press, it can "blacklist" them, no matter how well liked they are. That's why she might not get certain projects that will help her career get back on track as much. Not to say that lets her off the hook, but I understand.

By the way, Kim Basinger has won an Oscar, but she's never "won" a Razzie -- despite the fact that she has been nominated many times. 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 7:36pm

Less than a month ago, I saw the trailer for this, and was turned off when the victim uttered an ear-splitting/high-pitched scream/screech. But looking at the cast, I should've known -- As I said last year, Abigail Breslin is young enough to have worn... something... up to 1998. 

If you liked Zombieland (where she played Little Rock, an associate of Wichita), one of the Top 40 Films of 2009, this is quite the fall from grace for a budding child actress. I can't decide whether it's too much to hope for, but I'm hoping that in the decades to come, she'll be at worst, a hit-or-miss actress when it comes to film reviews.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 11:59am
The R.T. rating has started off at 40%.
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:28pm
Halle Berry is a great actress, but she too often chooses bad roles. Besides Monster's Ball and those X-Men movies, I don't think she's done many good roles (I don't personally like the X-Men movies, but a lot of people do, so I'll "pay respect" where respect is due).  

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:21pm
One quick look at her Rotten Tomatoes profile and you won't even have to do any calculating to realize that Halle's bad movies far outweigh her good ones. Which is why she was voted "guilty" in this poll.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 1:57pm
According to IMDb ( LINK )  this film was supposed to be directed by... Joel Schumacher!!!!!!!!!! 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 5:51pm
But it wasn't, so no need to get up-tight, since it never came to fruition.

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Accordng to IMDb, this film was supposed to be directed by... Joel Schumacher!!!!!!!!!!
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 6:19pm
The real question is: Would it have been a better or worse movie if it had been directed by Schumacher?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 6:41pm
I guess the latter. He can not do high intense drama, as proven with The Number 23 and Trespass.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 6:40pm
I just saw this. Before I say my thoughts, here's an interesting story that relates to the movie. The day this movie came out, one of my friends was dragged to it by her friends. She hated it so much, that she and her friends started riffing on it, MST3K-style. My feelings are very similar to her's. The acting was awful, the direction was awful, the script was awful, everything was awful. Grade: D-

Razzie nominations that I hope this earns: Worst Picture, Worst Director, Worst Actress, Worst Supporting Actress (Abigail Breslin), Worst Screenplay, Worst Rip-off (of Cellular).
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 3:16pm
I just saw it. For your consideration: Worst Supp. Actor for Michael Eklund and Worst Supp. Actress for Abigail Breslin.

Oiram, you were right. This is a major contender for the Vits Award for Worst Movie Ending.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 8:29am
I don't love this film because of the ending, but I by no mean think it's bad. The first 2/3rds in particular are very good. The performances are also very strong, and obviously Brad Anderson is a capable director (Trans-Siberian, The Machinest). 

But yes, the ending is horrible!  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 2:32pm
I agree. Overall, I liked the film. And that's why I didn't recommend it for Worst Picture.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 1:04pm
My thoughts (skip to 01:40):

Post Reply Post Reply