Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE FAMILY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of THE FAMILY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of THE FAMILY
    Posted: September 17 2013 at 7:33am

BY POPULAR DEMAND (WELL, MORE OIRAM's DEMAND  THAN ANYONE ELSE's) HERE AT LAST IS the DISCUSSION PAGE for ROBERT deNIRO's SECOND POTENTIAL RAZZIE TITLE of 2013. THOUGH WITH OUR DEARTH of 2013 WORST ACTRESS CONTENDERS at THIS POINT, IT's LIKELIER to BE LOOKED at as an EXCUSE to NOMINATE MICHELLE PFEIFFER...

SO, OIRAM (and EVERYONE ELSE) GO AHEAD -- MAKE an ARGUMENT I CAN'T REFUSE as to WHY THE FAMILY SHOULD BE "A CONTENDER"... 

TO HELP YOU MAKE YOUR CASE, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE ON IT...

...and HERE's the LINK for OUR FOTO FUNNY for IT. 

SO, GO AHEAD -- UNLEASH YOUR SIBLING RIVALRY 
and FIRE AWAY at THE FAMILY... 

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 7:42am

Wow. I'm not sure if being mentioned in Head Razz's summary above is a good thing or a bad thing, but anyways:  

Robert De Niro has been avoiding the Razzies for a while (Save for a Worst Screen Couple nom with Eddie Murphy for Showtime.) However, he had many films where the film was not only bad, he was also a factor in its badness. Not to mention the unnecessary references to his previous, better films (Yes, that happens in The Family). I'm wondering at this point if the only reason he brought his A-game to Silver Linings Playbook was because he was afraid that he would get into a huge argument with David O. Russell if he didn't.

Of the last two movies (three if you count American Hustle, but considering he was not shown in the trailer, he probably does not have a very huge role), Grudge Match might be the only one to escape Razzie territory by being enjoyable, but don't get your hopes too high just yet.

Also worthy of note is Glee actress Dianna Agron playing the mobster daughter, and she was pretty bad in this one too.

Oh, and not that I expect him to be a Razzie contender at this point, because the competition is too big, but Luc Besson... What happened man? Did your stint with Milla Jovovich shrink your talents?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 10:20am
What I heard about the film, a lot of people state that the movie has no idea what it wants to be. There are a lot of tonal shifts, sometimes it feels like a gritty violent mob movie and other times it feels like a dark comedy. If anything, Robert DeNiro might be nominated for Worst Actor based only on the fact that he was also in another forgettable movie "The Big Wedding". However, I doubt "The Family" will be nominated for anything else.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 11:41am
Or maybe DeNiro thought this was a good script?  

Originally posted by oiram

I'm wondering at this point if the only reason he brought his A-game to Silver Linings Playbook was because he was afraid that he would get into a huge argument with David O. Russell if he didn't.

Also worthy of note is Glee actress Diane Agron playing the mobster daughter, and she was pretty bad in this one too.

Have you seen the movie already?

Oh, and not that I expect him to be a Razzie contender at this point, because the competition is too big, but Luc Besson... What happened man? Did your stint with Milla Jovovich shrink your talents?

You're saying that like he was one of the best directors of our generation. If anything, I think he's one of the most over-rated ones. 

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

Robert DeNiro might be nominated for Worst Actor based only on the fact that he was also in another forgettable movie "The Big Wedding". However, I doubt "The Family" will be nominated for anything else.

There's also Tommy Lee Jones, who was also in EMPEROR

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 12:24pm

Of course. I was just joking. 

I'm wondering at this point if the only reason he brought his A-game to Silver Linings Playbook was because he was afraid that he would get into a huge argument with David O. Russell if he didn't.

Originally posted by vits

Have you seen the movie already?

Yes.

Originally posted by Vits

You're saying that like Besson was one of the best directors of our generation. If anything, I think he's one of the most overrated ones.

Even with Leon the Professional and La Femme Nikita?

Well, that's your opinion.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 12:55pm
What grade did you give the movie? For which Razzies do you think it should be nominated (aside from the ones you already mentioned)?

Even with Leon the Professional and La Femme Nikita?

Well, that's your opinion.

I haven't seen NIKITA, but I thought LEON was just O.K. But rather than going film by film, I looked at his whole career. Most of it consists of action movies with weak stories "excused" by being old school.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 1:42pm
D-

and Robert De Niro for Worst Actor.

Maybe Michelle Pfieffer for Worst Actress, Dianna Agron for Worst Supporting Actress, and Luc Besson for Worst Director.

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 1:59pm
One more thing of note is John D'Leo. This isn't his first film, but it is his first major role, as De Niro's character's son. I think he is trying in the movie, but his subplot is really not too interesting. I hope he is able to get better somewhere else.

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 3:56pm
I was about to concur with the idea of nominating Michelle Pfeiffer for Worst Supporting Actress, but then I realized Robert DeNiro was also in The Big Wedding. Director Luc Besson had previously made the Arthur and the Invisibles trilogy. The first one, a Dishonorable Mention on the Bottom 40 Films of '006, was his worst directorial work. He also screen-wrote many other Dishonorable Mentions and 3 of my past Bottom 40ers. And knowing Robert DeNiro's track record since Y2K, The Family was going to be dysfunctional with critics. Despite a mild degree of comedy, people don't really care that DeNiro and Pfeiffer are back, 2/3 of critics didn't exactly like it, and the tonal shifts were some of the worst and most abrupt in decades! All in all, with still about 15 or so weekends to go before 2014, I think we should hold our thoughts on Pfeiffer until we see what other bad films star bad actresses, then make her nomination a low priority.

One thing that mystifies me, however, is that Metacritic showed one more good than bad review...
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
 Post Reply Post Reply