Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > WHITE HOUSE DOWN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of WHITE HOUSE DOWN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of WHITE HOUSE DOWN
    Posted: June 27 2013 at 7:43am
IT HAPPENS FAR MORE OFTEN THAN IT OUGHT TO in MODERN HOLLYWOOD: TWO GLARINGLY SIMILAR MOVIES GET MADE WITHIN a YEAR OF ONE ANOTHER. USUALLY, WHICHEVER ONE GETS to THEATRES FIRST FARES BETTER with CRITICS and AUDIENCES. 

THIS YEAR's MOST OBVIOUS SYMBIOTIC CINEMATIC PAIR IS OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN (WHICH CAME OUT in MARCH to MEDIOCRE REVIEWS and OKAY BOX OFFICE) and the CURRENT RELEASE WHITE HOUSE DOWN (WHICH  IS GETTING SIMILARLY POOR REVIEWS and LOOKS HEADED for LESS BOX OFFICE SUCCESS)

BOTH FILMS CENTER on TERRORIST ATTACKS on the WHITE HOUSE... 

BOTH FEATURE REPUTABLE ACTORS (as WELL as RAZZ-ABLE ONES) in PROMINENT ROLES... 

BOTH ARE BASICALLY BRAINLESS "POPCORN MOVIES," AIMED at UN-DISCERNING AUDIENCES...

...and UNLESS OUR VOTING MEMBERS HAVE BETTER MEMORIES THAN the AVERAGE MOVIE-GOER, BOTH ARE LIKELY to BE ALL BUT FORGOTTEN COME YEAR's END. 

BUT HERE's YOUR CHANCE, WHILE AT LEAST ONE of THEM IS STILL TECHNICALLY "FRESH," to EXPRESS YOUR OPINION of EITHER (or BOTH) of THESE TWIN TOWERS of BABBLE...

AIM YOUR GRENADE LAUNCHERS at the ROSE GARDEN and...

FIRE AWAY! 

TO LOAD UP YOUR LAUNCHER BEFORE TAKING a SHOT, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on WHITE HOUSE DOWN...

...and to GIVE YOU a GIGGLE OR TWO WHILE YOU'RE on YOUR MISSION, HERE's the LINK to OUR FOTO FUNNY FOR IT.

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 7:45am
Yeah, Roland Emmerich just cannot stop doing stupid films, no matter how much he attempts, if there was ANY attempt.

Sidenote: The Heat is losing in reviews, 4 negative, 2 positive.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 8:04am
White House Down looks very generic, to the point where I am sure we just might forget it by year's end. Just like with Olympus Has Fallen, this movie is nothing but explosions, and yet another End-of-the-World story line (which I am so tired of seeing in film). 

If anything, maybe White house Down should be nominated for Worst Remake, Rip-off or Sequel?  

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 8:31am
I SHOULD point out that if you look hard at the production on this and Olympus Has Fallen, White House Down was in production first. Olympus Has Fallen just managed to get released faster.

Oh, and The Heat is now at 38% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_heat/
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 8:47am
So I guess it all comes down to the director. OLYMPUS was directed by Antoine Fuqua; this one was directed by Roland Emmerich.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 9:13am
Am I the only one who'd rather watch this than Olympus Has Fallen? Most of Emmerich's movies are "so bad they're good," while Olympus Has Fallen's director Antoine Fuqua has only made one good movie (Training Day) and his others are just awful. 

In addition, as Oiram pointed out, this one went into production first. And let's not get into Gerard Butler and his on-going "career free-fall." 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 9:17am
Hate to bring this up, but some would say that Olympus Has Fallen "saved" Gerard's career (In other words, it made money. Before then, he was just starring in live-action flop after live-action flop after his initial success with 300).  

Meanwhile, The Heat seems to be going back and forth. I guess that industry word of mouth was fabricated, Headrazz (not BY Headrazz, but he seems to have heard some things that are suppose to make a movie sound better). 

EDIT: And of course, The Heat has now gotten a swarm of positive reviews, making me look like an idiot.

Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 3:41am
Here are my Razzie recommendations: 

Worst Picture: This is a typical no-brain action flick in the same style as Michael Bay. 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel: This is too similar to Olympus Has Fallen. The similarities are too obvious to ignore. 

Worst Director: Roland Emmerich has put together too many action sequences and little emphasis on characters or plot. 

Worst Screenplay: James Vanderbilt is also to blame for the absence of character or plot. The characters are one-dimensional and the plot is ridiculous. The plot is child-like at best. 

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 6:56am
Olympus Has Fallen actually entered production after White House Down did, and was rushed into production to beat WHD to the theaters. It's another Skyline/Battle: LA situation. 

Originally posted by Dun-Ida

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel: This is too similar to Olympus Has Fallen. The similarities are too obvious to ignore.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 1:45pm
I just saw it. Despite being worse than OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN, they should both be nominated for Worst Screenplay. But neither should be nominated for Worst Remake or Rip-Off. Oh, this one should also maybe be nominated for Worst Supp. Actor for James Woods.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 8:41pm
Time for another comparison review. This time, it's between the two "White House in peril" movies that came out last year Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down. Olympus Has Fallen came out first, but White House Down started production first.

1.) Leading men: Channing Tatum, the lead of White House Down, is a very frustrating actor. Half the time he's good, the other half you want to see him immolated on-screen. Here, he's not bad enough to deserve burning, but he's not very good. The same can't be said for Gerard Butler, the lead of Olympus Has Fallen, who's just awful. A few months ago, I made a list of the five celebrities I hated the most and Gerard found himself at seventh place. His placement is mostly due to his performance in this film. Less bad: White House Down

2.) The man in chief: Jaime Foxx is bland as the president in White House Down. It's incredibly obvious that he's just here for a paycheck. Even more bland and paycheck-hungry is Aaron Eckhart as the president in Olympus Has Fallen. Especially during the scenes where his character is supposed to emoting. Less bad: White House Down

3.) Annoying children: Inexplicably, the makers of action movies still feel the need to put annoying children in their movies. It's obvious that they're not going to die and 99.99% of the time the child actor is awful. The annoying child in White House Down is Channing Tatum's daughter played by Joey King. She has a lot more screen-time than the annoying child in Olympus Has Fallen, who's the president's son. Overall, the president's son is more annoying but, since he has a lot less screen-time, I have to give Olympus Has Fallen the edge here. Less bad: Olympus Has Fallen

4.) Main villain: The main villain of White House Down is James Woods' character. He wants to blow up the Middle East because his son died fighting over there and he has a massive brain tumor. Woods gives a bad performance, but he's still a lot better than Kang, the villain of Olympus Has Fallen. He wants to destroy America because his mother died because of an American landmine. What makes his plan moronic is that he aligned himself with North Korea, who executed his father. So he'd rather take out the country that accidentally killed one of his parents than the country that deliberately killed one of his parents. At least Woods has the excuse of having a brain tumor. Less bad: White House Down

5.) Villainous mooks: The mooks of White House Down are a bunch of white trash neo-Nazi skinheads. The mooks of Olympus Has Fallen are the North Korean army. It's very implausible that white trash neo-Nazi skinheads would be able to infiltrate the White House even with help from the inside. However, this is a billion times more plausible than North Koreans infiltrating the White House. North Korea has one of the most horrifically bad armies in the world. The very idea that they'd be able to attack the White House is laughable. Even worse, at one point it's stated that without America's help, South Korea would get taken over by North Korea within three days. In reality, if North and South Korea ever fought, South Korea would obliterate the North. Less bad: White House Down

6.) The script: I could go into detail about both scripts and which is worse, but the fact that the writer of Olympus Has Fallen thinks North Korea is an actual threat ruins any intelligent thought they could ever come up with. Less bad: White House Down

7.) Unintentional comedy: White House Down is a goldmine of unintentional comedy. Lines like "I choose the pen" are said with straight faces, but the coup de grace of unintentional comedy is the end where the day is saved thanks to Channing Tatum's daughter's flag-twirling skills! Olympus Has Fallen, on the other hand, is BORING! The only unintentionally funny part was the "pledge of allegiance" scene. Less bad: White House Down

8.) Directing: In 2001, Antoine Fuqua directed Training Day, a movie better than everything else Roland Emmerich has done. All of his other movies, on the other hand, have sucked. He can't direct action to save his life. Emmerich, the slightly competent Michael Bay, can direct action. Less bad: White House Down

9.) Overall entertainment: Olympus Has Fallen is a boring film with a stupid villain, a moronic understanding of world events, an unlikable leading man, and awful action scenes. White House Down is a hilarious (if unintentional) film with a slightly smarter villain, a slightly likable leading man and great action scenes. Less bad: White House Down

The fact that Olympus Has Fallen out-grossed White House Down is a shame. Less bad: White House Down

My grades:

Olympus Has Fallen: D

White House Down: B

Next-up: Joel Schumacher's Flawless!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply