Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > WINNIE MANDELA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of WINNIE MANDELA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of WINNIE MANDELA
    Posted: September 04 2013 at 10:47am

EVERY ONCE in a WHILE, a MOVIE GETS MADE with the BEST of INTENTIONS, BUT STILL TURNS OUT to BE a RAZZIE
® CONTENDER. 

WINNIE MANDELA IS a "BIOPIC" ABOUT the "CONTROVERSIAL" WIFE of ANTI-APARTHEID ACTIVIST NELSON MANDELA, SURE LOOKS LIKE ONE of THOSE (SOME of OUR MEMBERS REFER to THESE FILMS as "OSCAR-BAITERS).

STARRING 2007 OSCAR WINNER JENNIFER HUDSON in the TITLE ROLE, with 2005 OSCAR NOMINEE TERRENCE HOWARD as HER HUSBAND, WINNIE HAS HAD a LONG, HARD ROAD to the SCREEN.

COMPLETED in 2011, IT WAS at ONE TIME SET to BE a DIRECT-to-VIDEO RELEASE, and IS EVEN NOW ONLY BEING GIVEN a LIMITED THEATRICAL RUN BEFORE GOING to DVD and BLU-RAY.

ITS MAKERS MAY HAVE MEANT THIS RELEASE to QUALIFY WINNIE for CONSIDERATION as a CONTENDER in the GIVING OUT of the LITTLE GOLD NAKED MEN SWEEPSTAKES, BUT IRONICALLY, REVIEWS SUGGEST IT's a LIKELIER CONTENDER for OUR AWARDS.  

WHEN SOMETHING FALLS THIS SHORT of ITS MAKERS' INTENTIONS, THAT's ONE of the REASONS WHY WE EXIST.  

HERE's the LINK for OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS FILM...

...and HERE's the LINK for OUR FOTO FUNNY on IT. 

WE KNOW, IT's a MOVIE ABOUT a SERIOUS SUBJECT -- BUT ALL INDICATIONS ARE, IT's GOT SOME SERIOUS, RAZZ-ABLE FLAWS... 

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 11:10am
I would put Terrence Howard down as Worst Supporting Actor, since he was also in Dead Man Down and Movie 43 this year. 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

BlackRose View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 9:11am
Movies like this raise an interesting question about the "mission" of the Razzies: Do we exist merely to razz film-makers like Adam Sandler who never even try to make good movies, or is it also "fair game" to pick on people like the makers of "Winnie Mandela," who clearly wanted to make a good movie about an interesting subject, but just as clearly failed? 

I'd argue we should be doing both, but I would also be interested to hear other members' thoughts... 

I enjoy a good movie, but if it's the right one, I LOVE a BAD MOVIE!
davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 9:14am
I think we should be doing both, and also have a question about this weeks releases: I know Winnie Mandela is getting worse reviews, but isn't Vin Diesel in Riddick more in line with what the Razzies usually rag on? Even if Riddick is getting decent reviews, I still think it should be under discussion here...
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 9:19am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I look forward to seeing a lively discussion in reponse to BlackRose's post above. I would come down on the side of "we should be doing both"...

On the issue of RIDDICK deserving a discussion on our Forum, I am as surprised as anyone that it is getting "decent reviews" (it's currently at 61% on R.T.). But before reviews started coming in, I had already set up a discussion of it -- Here's the LINK for our Forum Info Page on RIDDICK... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 9:37am
BlackRose: The Razzies are for the worst movies of the year -- It doesn't matter the genre, country, subject or the film-makers' intention. Nobody sets out to make a bad movie*,  yet they exist. It's about the execution, not the idea.

*Good parodies and tongue-in-cheek movies are good in their own way, because that's their goal.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 8:47am
A lot of Biopics this year seem to be very hollow and superficial. Lovelace, Jobs and now Winnie Mandela are all biographies that don't really get down to why these people were interesting. Granted, as a film you don't want to overstay your welcome to the audience. At the same time, we should care about who the people were, and the events that happened to them.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 10:47am
That is a very good point there, moviecritic1994.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 3:15pm
To be fair, Linda Lovelace and Steve Jobs weren't out-shined by their spouses.
LOL  

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

Lovelace, Jobs and now Winnie Mandela are all biographies that don't really get down to why these people were interesting.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 3:18pm
Quite the Joker Aren't you VITS?
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Knative View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Knative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 9:38pm
Speaking of "failed Oscar-baiters," Y'all going to start a forum on Diana, the Naomi Watts movie? That one is getting savaged by the critics. Plus Naomi stars  in Adore too this year, which is supposedly this year's  "Paper Boy"-esque trashy movie about two women who do each other's sons, so homoerotic incesty grossness with that movie,  plus she is in movie 43. 

I think that Naomi really wants a nomination from you guys. She is hitting her nadir this year. She's got some interesting stuff lined up next year, though. 

Anyway,  I like J Hud as a person, but she hasn't had the best music/movie career since her Oscar win. She's a great singer though, and she's supposedly good in The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 8:41am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: To qualify for RAZZIE® consideration, a film has to be released in either New York city or Los Angeles, and play for an entire week. Although I am that aware the British press are already touting DIANA as a "RAZZIE front-runner," I have yet to hear that the film is even expected to get a U.S. release. If and when it ever does, you can expect to find a Forum for it here...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 8:47am
This LINK says that Diana is coming to the US November 1st.

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 10:26am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Just scrolled through the various "Release Schedule" pages at B.O. MoJo to the page listing November titles (LINK) and DIANA is apparently set for release on that date -- However, no number of theatres is listed, so if it fails to play L.A. or NYC, it could still get away on a technicality...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
AndP View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 10:26pm
Great, the director of Dracula 3000

This is really going to suffer in comparison to the Idris Elba one, that's for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply