Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Member-Started Discussion & Add'l Info:JOHNNY ENGLISH REBORN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Member-Started DISCUSSION...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member-Started DISCUSSION...
    Posted: September 16 2011 at 2:08pm
WHEN MR. BEAN WASN'T ENOUGH FOR ROWAN ATKINSON, JOHNNY ENGLISH CAME ALONG IN 2003 AND WAS CRITICALLY PANNED WORLDWIDE.  

BUT HE DID NOT LISTEN TO THEM, AND INSTEAD, 8 YEARS LATER, HE PLOWS ON WITH A TOTALLY UNNECCESSARY SEQUEL, BUT BORDERLINES HIMSELF WITH SOME "ACTING TALENT".

SO, WITHOUT FURTHER-ADO...DISCUSS AWAY!  

NOTE from YE OLDE HEAD RAZZBERRY: WHILE I AM UNSURE THAT ENOUGH MEMBERS WILL EVER SEE THIS FILM for IT to BE a SERIOUS CONTENDER, I DID SEE in an ARTICLE ON IT in THE L.A. TIMES (LINK) THAT JOHNNY ENGLISH IS LOOSELY BASED on a CHARACTER ATKINSON HAD PLAYED in a SERIES of 1990's TV COMMERCIALS for BARCLAYS BANK CREDIT CARDS, SO AT LEAST the FILM's ORIGINS ARE EMINENTLY RAZZ-ABLE... 

LAUGH in the FACE of NO SUCCESS WHATSOEVER! 

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2011 at 4:26pm
So this is where the reboot trend is headed ... rebooting comedies, too!?
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 11:26am
Currently sitting at 50% with 4 fresh and 4 rotten, will probably end up in the 30-40's range at this rate. Also while the last film did poorly in the U.S. it a was monsterous hit oversees.
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 10:15pm
Whatsthepoint: Do you mean it's at 50% -- because you wrote 80%...
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 8:17am
Oops! Meant to say 50% my mistake. Anyway update: 5 fresh, 4 rotten. Possibly this sequel could have a higher rotten tomatoes rating than the original (and the original didn't receive any Razzies, so how is it possible for this one to get any when reviews may be slightly better). 

Originally posted by jesse685

whatsthepoint, do you mean it's at 50%, because you wrote 80%.

leohoughton View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote leohoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 11:18pm
I thought the movie was pretty hilarious. :) However, I still prefer him in Mr. Bean's role in Mr. Bean Series.
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 5:21am
I guess the 'underpants on head, pencils up the nose and pretending to be mad' trick failed to work again as the writers came calling to Atkinson...
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2011 at 8:28am
I've always enjoyed Atkinson in the Mr. Bean character in the half hour series, but I find that a little of him goes a long way. When you try to expand the character into a full length movie, he gets annoying pretty fast -- Especially since Atkinson apparently has no new ideas. All he does is reprise gimmicks and jokes lifted from the series.  

Originally posted by leohoughton

I thought the movie was pretty hilarious. :) However, I still prefer him in Mr. Bean's role in Mr. Bean Series.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2011 at 12:01pm
FilmXTRA gave this 3.5/5 -- Here's the LINK to watch the review:

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 9:31am
Why not see this for yourself, then make up your own rating? That's the best suggestion I can give you...  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2011 at 2:07pm
R.T. gave this 35-40%*: "Arguably a marginal improvement on its mostly-forgotten predecessor, the movie nonetheless remains mired in broad, tired spy spoofing that wastes Rowan Atkinson's once considerable comedic talents."  

*The first JOHNNY ENGLISH got 30-35%.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2011 at 2:28pm
If the first one didn't get any Razzie nominations, this one probably doesn't have a chance of getting any nominations either.  
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 2:51pm
Now I demand an answer from HeadRAZZ: Why weren't Beastly and I Am Number Four upgraded to official forums this past winter?

This has a marginal approval rating at Rotten T, and below average reviews at Metacritic. On top of that, no-one saw this. Thereby I conclude that up-grading this one could've been a mistake provided HeadRAZZ's commentary doesn't prove otherwise.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You "demand"?!?  Seems rather strong/defensive language to me. This is our "Leftover" Worst of the Weak choice for this coming Friday (Oct. 28) as nothing new opening that date is even a remotely likely contender.  

As for BEASTLY and I AM NUMBER FOUR, they both got similarly bad reviews to ENGLISH REBORN, but that is only one element of how RAZZIE® Forum topics are selected. Both of those films did far better at the U.S. box office (BEASTLY doing nearly $28 million and NUMBER FOUR topping $55 million) than ENGLISH REBORN is likely to do -- and neither of them were sequels to an 8-year-old movie that no one liked in the first place. "Demand" satisfied??  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 3:04pm
Not to mention those 2 movies are in serious consideration. I'm sure at least one of them will end up on the nominating ballot.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

As for BEASTLY and I AM NUMBER FOUR, they both got similarly bad reviews to ENGLISH REBORN, but that is only one element of how RAZZIE® Forum topics are selected. Both of those films did far better at the U.S. box office (BEASTLY doing nearly $28 million and NUMBER FOUR topping $55 million) than ENGLISH REBORN is likely to do -- and neither of them were sequels to an 8-year-old movie that no one liked in the first place. "Demand" satisfied??

Well, one of them was made by some kid in this assembly line company owned by this guy who wrote A Million Little Pieces. The other one was a raping of Beauty and the Beast. Not to mention both were made to cash in on Twilight. 

PS: HeadRazz, you seem to flip-flop sometimes, because you're perfecally fine with giving Transformers a forum knowing it will make a ton of money, while you say Number Four and Beastly don't deserve a forum because they made back their budget?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So now I'm the Mitt Romney of the RAZZIES®?? How embarrassing to be the Mitt Romney of anything!  

If you'll re-read the posting you copied-and-pasted above, you'll see that I did not site box office prospects as the only reason ENGLISH REBORN was "elevated" to a full-fledged Forum topic -- I mentioned that it is also an an 8-years-later sequel to a film no one liked in the first place... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 9:04am
What about PUSS IN BOOTS? It most likely won't be a contender, but the same can be said about SHREK 4, which did get a forum. I think it's better than nothing. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: PUSS IN BOOTS was under consideration as the Worst of the Weak pick, but early reviews (it's at 80% Positive on RT with more than 2 dozen reviews in as I write this) suggest it's not "One of Ours." As for SHREK 4, it was rated "Rotten" at RT, though just barely (LINK) and, compared to the previous delightful 3 films in the franchise, was arguably a clunker...  

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

This is our "Leftover" Worst of the Weak choice for this coming Friday (Oct. 28) as nothing new opening that date is even a remotely likely contender.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>