Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on UP-COMING FILMS & PROJECTS > Early Discussion of SLEEPING BEAUTY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Member-Started Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member-Started Discussion
    Posted: May 12 2011 at 3:45am

This is NOT a Member-Started Forum. This is a forum created purely for discussion.

The Cannes Film Festival started yesterday as most of you you may know and one of the first films shown on this Festival was Sleeping Beauty, A film based on a formerly blacklisted screenplay that was is currently in the official competition. These would all be signs that this would be a GREAT film... Am I right?

Earlier today I stumbled on a very bad review of this film. So, suddenly i was curious about what  the overall response to this film was and it received a shocking amount of negative reviews. First there is Rotten Tomatoes which lists only 2 reviews at this point (both of them Rotten). But knowing that Rotten Tomatoes doesn't place every review on their site, I decided to do a more thorough search for reviews and found a lot of negative reviews on sites like TheWrap, The Hollywood Reporter, Reuters, RopeofSilicon, Huffington Post, Film School Rejects and Screen Daily. And just a handfull of mixed/positive reviews from sites like The Guardian, HitFix and IndieWire.

I just have to say that this baffles me. I always considered Cannes to be a very credible film festival. A place were (unlike the oscars) it really is about the quality of the films. So how did a "bad" film like this become part of the official selection at Cannes? Why did they choose this film over the thousands of other entries? Did Cannes make a mistake? Am i to quick to judge and should i wait for more reviews to come in? Is the film too arthouse for American critics (bulls**t theory... I know)? What do you think? (the general "you", as in everyone with an opinion about this) 

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Vheid

This is NOT a Member-Started Forum. This is a forum created purely for discussion.

A lot of text irrelevant for this qoute...

I just have to say that this baffles me. I always considered Cannes to be a very credible film festival. A place were (unlike the oscars) it really is about the quality of the films. So how did a "bad" film like this become part of the official selection at Cannes? Why did they choose this film over the thousands of other entries? Did Cannes make a mistake? Am i to quick to judge and should i wait for more reviews to come in? Is the film too arthouse for American critics (bulls**t theory... I know)? What do you think? (the general "you", as in everyone with an opinion about this) 

How buls**t this theory may have sounded it is really starting to look like it. It seems like Brittisch critics (Guardian, Daily Telegraph, This is London etc.) like this film much more while American critics seem to be more hostile towards it (Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Huffington Post etc.). Must have been a culturel thing
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 6:26am
Restless, Another Cannes-film directed by two-time academy award-nominee (and one-time Razzie winner) Gus van Sant is also not doing very well 'with critics. It's currently at 20% on RT.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 5:08pm
A lot of bad movies have been screened at Cannes. Deanzilla and Southland Tales were screened there.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 5:31pm

This is NOT a Member-Started Forum.
It is now.Sorry.

This is a forum created purely for discussion.
What's the difference?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 6:22am

SchumacherH8ter, Okey... I didn't know that.

Vits, because Member Started Forums are for movies that are already released, Which this is not...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 3:10pm
From what I have heard and seen caps and clips of, this movie is pretty much an excuse to have Emily Browning in her underwear during most of her screentime. As if the amounts of skin that she showed in "Sucker Punch" were not enough!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:12pm
If this gets a 2011 release, she might get a double nod.

Also, I forgot that The Brown Bunny was screened at Cannes. Man, Vincent Gallo is an IDIOT.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 11:22pm
THE BROWN BUNNY is literally the 2nd worst movie I've seen in my life.Thank God I didn't get to see the Cannes version,which was about 20 minutes longer!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2011 at 9:50am
Yeah, Cannes maybe the "World Oscars", but it's also a networking haven. Not every movie screened there is a masterpiece, some are just there to get picked up by a major studio for theatrical releases.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:29pm
Don't forget, this is an Aussie film and I agree, this is pretty bad.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 12:45pm
It'll stay around 48-52% at R.T. So it's not a contender... except maybe for Worst Actress.
 Post Reply Post Reply