Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > MEMBER-STARTED FORUMS on 2013 TITLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES
    Posted: August 23 2013 at 4:49pm

MEMBER STARTED FORUM DISCUSSION:  

FOR ABOUT A DECADE, MANY DIRECTORS HAVE TRIED TO ADAPT YOUNG ADULT NOVELS INTO A HOLLYWOOD FEATURE FILMS. DESPITE THEIR FEEBLE ATTEMPTS TO MAKE THE NEXT HARRY POTTER, THEY HAVE FAILED OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. ODDLY ENOUGH, NONE OF THOSE FILMS BESIDES THE TWILIGHT SAGA FRANCHISE HAS EVER BEEN NOMINATED FOR RAZZIES.

AND WITH THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES (THE SECOND SUCH BAD YOUNG ADULT FANTASY ADAPTATION THIS MONTH) THE TREND DOESN'T SEEM TO BE IMPROVING. STARRING ABDUCTION (2011) ACTRESS LILY COLLINS AND HELMED BY PINK PANTHER 2 (2009) DIRECTOR HAROLD ZWART, IT WAS EASY TO SEE THE BAD REVIEWS COMING.

IN THIS TAKE ON DEMON SLAYERS, A TEENAGE GIRL DISCOVERS THAT SHE'S THE LATEST DESCENDANT IN THE SECRET BLOODLINE KNOWN AS THE "SHADOWHUNTERS", WHO FIGHT AGAINST DEMONS, UNDEAD CREATURES, AND EVIL SPELLCASTERS IN AN ALTERNATE, UNDERWORLD-LIKE TWIN IMAGE OF NEW YORK CITY.

AMONGST THE COMMON POPULACE, THOSE WHO HAVE SEEN IT SEEM TO LOVE IT, WHILE OTHERS HAVE STAYED CLEAR AFTER SEEING THE PREVIEW TRAILERS, BUT PRO CRITICS CAN'T STAND IT. SADLY, THIS WAS JUST THE FIRST OF MANY BOOKS, SO WHO KNOWS IF SCREEN GEMS OR SONY PICTURES WILL MAKE MORE OF THESE?

SO IF YOU HAVE A BONE TO PICK WITH CITY OF BONES, LET 'EM HAVE IT IN THE DISCUSSION BELOW!

THE FANTASY KITCHEN SINK IS AT PLAY HERE, BUT THEY JUST RUSHED THIS INTO THE WORKS. APPARENTLY, THE FILMMAKERS GATHERED ELEMENTS OF THE PAST THREE DECADES OF FANTASY FILMS, BUT NO-ONE HAD ANY IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH ALL OF THEM. DIRECTORS AND SCREENWRITERS NEED TO START PLANNING THESE FANTASY ADAPTATIONS OUT BETTER BEFORE MAKING THEM IF THEY WANT TO BREAK THAT PARADIGM! 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 7:10pm
R.T. (10-15%): "It borrows ingredients from seemingly every fantasy franchise of the last 30 years... but can't seem to figure out what to do with them".

All I can say for now is that the trailer is one of the most boring ones I've ever seen. And I don't mean the way they edited or the music choices. I don't even know if it was the 1st or 2nd trailer. It has to do with the presentation of the plot.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 1:55am
I have watched this. I am convinced the movie deserves to be nominated in these categories: 

Worst Picture: Discussion of the other categories will explain this. 

Worst Actress: Lily Collins. She displayed very little, if any, emotion throughout the movie. The only time she was emotional was when she screamed. Other than that she was quiet wooden. 

Worst Supporting Actress: Jemima West. She was just as wooden as Lily Collins. The wooden acting made her look more like a prop than an actress. 

Worst Supporting Actor: Jamie Campbell Bower. Yet another wooden actor in the cast. He seemed to spend more time maintaining his hair than giving a convincing performance. 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel: This movie seems to have ripped off just about every fantasy movie we have heard of. 

Worst Director: Harald Zwart. This movie appeared to have multiple directions. It often became difficult to follow what was going on. A fast-paced movie only works if there is just enough restraint to allow the audience to follow the story. 

Worst Screenplay: The script sounded like it was written by an F-grade slacker. Full of dialogue that you could easily laugh at. The screenplay played a significant part in making this movie laughably bad. 

Worst Screen Couple: Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower. There is no on-screen chemistry between them as both of them give equally wooden performances. It is like watching two logs "interacting". 

Worst Screen Ensemble: The combination of wooden acting from the younger cast makes them worthy of getting nominated for this category. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 7:26am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Although I still have my doubts as to whether many of our Voting Members will even bother to see this film, its current status on both Rotten Tomatoes (13% w/101 Reviews) and Box Office MoJo (Unimpressive Opening Day & 41% Drop-Off for 2nd Day) suggest it may be a worthy contender. 

So, below are the links I usually post giving additional info when I create an Official Member Forum:

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 2:40pm
Just like The Host and Beautiful Creatures, Mortal Instruments seems like another attempt to cash in on Twilight's long gone "popularity." Like Head Razz, I am doubting anyone will even see this movie, let alone remember it by December. If anything, maybe it could be nominated for Worst Rip Off.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 1:19pm
Guess what, guys! 

Mortal Instruments 2...is still happening:  LINK

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 2:23pm
I just saw it. It currently ranks #71/75 in my All-Time Worst list. For your consideration:

-Worst Supp. Actor for Jonathan Rhys Myers.
-Most Flatulent Teen-Targeted Movie.
-Worst Picture.

Originally posted by oiram

Mortal Instruments 2...is still happening:

Dead
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply