Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 30th RAZZIES Choices > PINK PANTHER, TOO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Most Unwelcome Sequel of the Year?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Unwelcome Sequel of the Year?!?
    Posted: February 07 2009 at 2:27pm

You beat me to that one Michaels. Miguel gives us WAY WAY too much credit. The simple fact is that the percentage of movie goers out there that have ever seen or have ever read a single post on this site is negligible. The percentage of movie goers out there that even know this site exists is pretty small. So to credit or blame us for torpedoing PP2 is a magnificent example granting us powers well beyond our reach. In this case, the public reacted in pretty much the way we all figured they would; they simply rejected the opportunity to be fooled by the same stale offering twice. Lesson to Hollywood is an old one: Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me.

Or, to put it in the words of our former President: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 2:47pm
I want to just elaborate a little on a theme that Ded raised a couple of posts ago. Perhaps the most creative film of 2008 was The Dark Knight. Clearly a Batman movie isn't exactly a new idea, but there were a lot of creative elements to the story...we haven't seen a Batman villain anything like Heath Ledger's Joker and the story line was interesting and fresh. It was also the largest grossing film of the year by a longshot. Hollywood can give us something new, even in the context of an old idea...but it is intellectually easier and financially safer to give us the same old crap dressed up in shiny but shoddy new clothing and I think we are all getting tired of it.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 10:05pm
Yea, that was the thing with the new Batmans, they're a complete retooling of a series that already existed. It's like to comic book fans, and I'm not one so I'm just going by some stuff I read, when Alan Moore redoes a comic book, and makes Superman a crackwhore or something to that effect. It's enough "new" to not be the same old thing.
And as for Heath Ledger, I, like probably many of you, thought he was the dumbest possible choice to play the joker before I'd seen the trailer. I actually thought, and perhaps still think, that Bale would've been a bad ass Joker (Not to suggest he played both roles). But yea, he really knocked it out of the park.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 1:20pm
Wow, Miguel is worse than moviewizguy! As for this film, I'm glad about it's dismal performance at the box-office.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 12:15pm
Actually, there is a distinct difference between moviewizguy and Miguel. MWG just has trouble comprehending the fact that some movies are bad. Miguel doesn't comprehend that we are capable of distinguishing good movies from bad ones.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 2:11pm
I watched The Ruins on Cinemax, and I was all, "moviewizguy gave this movie a 9 out of 10?!"
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 2:51pm

Yeah, saturnwatcher pretty much nailed the difference between them: MWG can't tell a good movie from a bad one, and Miguel is under the impression that we are the same way.

PS: I watched "Bowfinger" last night and as the end credits rolled, all I could think was "That's the last good, original movie Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy have done ... and it was a decade ago!"

So sad, but the movie is a funny take on what's wrong in H-Wood, which is still true to this day...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 9:10am
Bowfinger... Haven't seen that in a while. I remember that movie being more "laughing on the inside" funny, which can be a good thing.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 11:57am

This just in:

"Hollywood funnyman Steve Martin has dismissed recent poor reviews of his latest Pink Panther movie - accusing film critics of "snobbery" when judging comedy films.

Martin reprised his role as Inspector Jacques Clouseau for Pink Panther 2, but the new picture received a barrage of scathing write-ups from film journalists and took a disappointing $12 million (Ł8.28 million) in its opening weekend at the U.S. box office.

But Martin is adamant he doesn't take any notice of film critics, insisting they never give funny films a chance.

He says, "I have received bad reviews my whole life. I received bad reviews when I started with my stand-up act. 'The Jerk', one of my most enduring comedy films, was universally panned in America. And comedies always have to overcome critical snobbery.

"It's just the way it is. And so you go, oh, well, okay, why are these movies that you've criticised so archly still around 10 years later, 15 years later, 20 years later? It's because comedy is not a critics' medium. It just isn't."

Well, Steve, I'm glad you feel that way, because based on your choices of movies, those bad reviews will just keep on coming. But then again, don't critics love the likes of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and the Marx Brothers?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 2:23am
Sounds like a case of magnificent whining on Martin's part. Ultimately he misses a key point. Movies don't achieve immortality on the basis of critical opinion. He is correct that The Jerk wasn't well received by critics, but has established itself as something of a classic in the genre over the years. Nonetheless, sometimes critics just hate comedies because they are bad. I dare say that 50 years from now, Peter Sellers' Pink Panther moives will still be widely beloved, while Martin's recreations will serve only as an example of the failed hubris of trying to improve on something that is already just fine.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 2:28am
Ugh... Steve... Stevie... I understand trying to defend it to some extent so it can still make SOME money, but this is really one of those times where you just say, "No comment." The difference between The Jerk and PeePee2 is that The Jerk was an original work that found an AUDIENCE. The Pink Panther remakes kind of remind me of Brittney Spears covering Aretha Franklin songs.
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 4:11pm
I'm not planning on seeing this movie, and I'm not going to see it at all. I would rather watch some of Steve's older films, some from the '80's, like Planes, Trains, & Automobiles and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. We can include The Jerk in there, but The Jerk came out before the '80's came.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 7:28pm
You know what we REALLY need... A remake of The Jerk starring Ryan Reynolds...

*Welcomes the various, deserved boots to the groin*
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 7:32pm
The Jerk...with Ryan Reynolds... Well, it could be worse. You could have suggested Dane Cook. I think then I might actually have to gouge out my eyes...
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 2:43pm

Or even worse...Hayden Christensen in The Jerk. That looks like a RAZZIE sweep to me!

Or maybe even worse than these: Hayden Christensen, Dan Cook and Ryan Reynolds in a movie together...we have a RAZZIE contender right there.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 3:31pm
Hayden Christensen, Dane Cook, and Ryan Reynolds in "The Three Musketeers" Featuring Larry the Cable Guy as the Villainous Cardinal de Giterdone... There we would have a mighty sweep of the Razzies, and all bad films shall be shamed by the spectacle. 
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>