Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Disagree w/Any Past RAZZIES®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Movies I liked that got RAZZed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies I liked that got RAZZed
    Posted: August 22 2005 at 3:51am

MOMMIE DEAREST is an entertaining movie. Maybe it's something of a train wreck, granted, but it is still enjoyable. Its director, Frank Perry, made other films now considered "cult classics": "DIARY of A MAD HOUSEWIFE, DOC, THE SWIMMER, and DAVID & LISA. These are really interesting, unique films that can be watched time and time again, MOMMIE DEAREST included.

The Graduate View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Graduate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 11:22am

I know that the HeadRAZZIE will counter my argument, but I tend to agree. I found it not nearly as campy as people have said it is. Faye Dunaway looked and sounded like she was Joan Crawford. I agree with one critic who said "Faye Dunaway delivers a brilliant performance as Joan Crawford delivering an awful performance in real life".

Actually her performance and Diana Scarwid's performance (which was unfairly called wooden) were the only things I liked about the film.

Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:12am
Dunaway was also voted as one of the best film villans in movie history by AFI, as Joan Crawford.
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Graduate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 1:17am

She also recieved critical praise from Pauline Kael, Roger Ebert, Leonard Maltin, and Entertainment Weekly who said that her performance was one of the 100 Greatest Performances not Nominated for an Oscar.

Also, she won the Runner up Prize from the New York Critics Circle

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 1:29am
While we're at it, I know this has nothing to do with The Razzies, but, what was up with Harvard Lampoon? They gave worst awards to Al Pacino for SCARFACE ( He recieved a Golden Globe nomination and it's regarded as one of his best), Jack Nicholson for THE SHINING(Another one of AFI's all-time best villans) and Jack Lemmon for SAVE THE TIGER (An Oscar win). They were out of their minds!
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Graduate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 5:03am

Sandman, you're forgetting another strange pick by the Harvard Lampoon:

Worst Actress of 1982: Meryl Streep for SOPHIE'S CHOICE! Considered by some to be the greatest performance in the history of film!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 2:12am
Graduate, you mind putting who else is on that 100 best not nominated performances list? Thanks. 
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 1:13pm
Yes, Faye Dunaway is superb in MOMMIE DEAREST. You might even say that she is more like Joan Crawford than Joan Crawford was. I personally love the movie. I've seen it dozens of times. I don't care what anyone else says, it's on my all-time favorites list.
Fred Cooper
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Graduate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 6:32am
I can't find that list. You could google it(100 Greatest Performances that
Should have won but weren't even nominated) and maybe you'll have better
luck than me.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 6:34am
Thanks
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 7:24am
Just saw SCARFACE for the first time, Al Pacino was amazing in it. How could the Razzies nominate Brian de Palma for Worst Director?
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 2:05am
REPLY TO SANNDMAN228715: Our voting membership at the time was fairly small, and a great many of our voters had attended a private screening of de Palma's "dailies" for SCARFACE for a project they and I worked on promoting the film. The dailies, which ran over 3 hours, constituted about 5 minutes of screen time, when properly edited. The footage consisted of dePalma filming three or four different scenes from every POSSIBLE angle (close-ups of EVERY actor, every possible combination of 2-shots, medium angles, wide angles -- Even three separate angles on JUST a nightclub comic, doing his ENTIRE monologue through three times while the principle characters had a conversation over dinner in the background!). This complete lack of vision (it was obvious to ANYONE watching this material that de Palma came to the set with NO IDEA what he wanted for his final film) combined with the fact that those dailies included the infamous "chainsaw cutting off a human arm" scene (which, even in grainy black-and-white, was DISGUSTINGLY GRAPHIC  and which de Palma later bald-facedly denied he'd ever shot  ) convinced our then small voting pool that a Razzie nomination was just reward for such incompetence and dishonesty...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 6:24am
Wow, gotcha.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 9:55am

Here's an actor I like who was nominated for a razzie, Gabriel Byrne. He's a Tony nominee and won the National Board of review award for Best Ensemble for the Usual Suspects. I guess he just made two bad choices that year. I have several actors that I like that for some reason remind me of each other ( Probably dues to the Sci-fi, Horror, and fantasy genre, with stage work)  Byrne, Lance Henriksen, Brad Dourif, Gary Oldman, Tim Curry, and Michael Gambon. ( I think it's unfair that people don't care for him because he's not Richard Harris, I think he does a good job in the Harry Potter movies, and most critics seem to think so too, as he's gotten some pretty good reviews for the Prisoner of Azkaban, and for tomorrow's Goblet of fire)

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 5:51pm
The Adventures Of Ford Fairlaine wasn't really that bad of a movie... True they could have done without Gilbert Gottfried...whose voice could shatter plastic from 50 miles away...but otherwise it was a decent movie...
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:23am
Originally posted by The Graduate

I know that the HeadRAZZIE will counter my argument, but I tend to agree. I found it not nearly as campy as people have said it is. Faye Dunaway looked and sounded like she was Joan Crawford. I agree with one critic who said "Faye Dunaway delivers a brilliant performance as Joan Crawford delivering an awful performance in real life".

Actually her performance and Diana Scarwid's performance (which was unfairly called wooden) were the only things I liked about the film.

Two all-time camp classics are coming out in June, with extras: "Valley of the Dolls" and, yes, "Mommie Dearest". I hope there are deleted scenes. I'm sure they will sell well.

Fred Cooper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>