Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > MATERIAL GIRLS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Never Were There Such Obnoxious Sisters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Never Were There Such Obnoxious Sisters
    Posted: August 13 2006 at 7:21am

TWO-TIME WORST ACTRESS NOMINEE HILARY DUFF IS NOW JOINED by HER "EQUALLY TALENTED" OLDER SISTER HAYLIE (WHO TAUGHT THIS FAMILY HOW to SPELL??) in THE "HILAR-IOUS ROMP" MATERIAL GIRLS...

2.3 HALF-HEARTED CHUCKLES ENSUE...

Okay, time to "Git Up Offa Yer DUFFs" & Start Dissin' ...

To access additional Forum postings on MATERIALS GIRLS (Reviews, Box Office, Official Site, etc.) CLICK HERE...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 12:39pm
Look on the bright side: They're not a bunch of party-hearty ho's like Lindsey Lohan (or if they are, at least we don't have to read about it in the tabliods)!!! 
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 4:36am
Party-hearty ho's or not, the idea that Hilary Duff is now "passing the baton of stardom" to a sibling is truly scary. I have yet to see any evidence of the supposed talent or charm that Hilary possesses which would justify her being so famous. It's not that she's evil, just that she's ordinary. Like one of those hideous Bratz dolls come to life -- And the idea of there now being TWO of them...OMG!!
Everything SUX!
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 4:40am

Neither Hilary Duff nor Lindsay Lohan can hold a candle to the queen of no talent teens, Mrs. Kevin Federline, aka Britney.

At least Lohan has made one or two okay movies ("Freaky Friday") and Duff is basically a harmless, though admitedly talent-free, teen idol. Britney, on the other hand, is a role more for ignorant-slatterns-in-training everywhere! 

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 5:37am

You guys wanna know something really sad? This movie looks a complete rip off of a Disney Channel movie called "Cow Belles" with the Michalka sisters that aired 6 months ago. I guess the Duff sisters figure if Alyson and Amanda could do it, Hilary and Haylie could carbon copy it, and maybe boost Hillary's flat, lackluster career (and Haylie's non existent one!).

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, the "concept" of this movie dates all the way back to at least the Screwball Comedy era of the 1930s (and possibly to silent movies): The rich girl suddenly left poor who learns life lessons by facing harsh realities of everyday existence. It also sounds like yet another knock off of the Paris Hilton/Nicole Ritchie reality series THE SIMPLE LIFE... 

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 5:52am

The Truly sad story in this is that Haylie is an older sister to Hilary, and has been in the entertainment industry longer. But Haylie has never caught on as either an actress or a pop star like Hillary did!  

Originally posted by Nasty Man

the idea that Hilary Duff is now "passing the baton of stardom" to a sibling is truly scary.

Response from Head RAZZberry: So what you're saying is, however little talent Hilary may have...Haylie has EVEN LESS?!?!?  

Words to live by:
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

Response from Head RAZZberry: So what you're saying is, however little talent Hilary may have...Haylie has EVEN LESS?!?!?  

More or less...for some reason, Hilary had something that producers, directors, and audiences liked in the areas that I mentioned in my previous post (Now I am not saying these people were extremely great judges of talent, but...) and Haylie did not seem to strike with the just mentioned groups.

The reason I know as much as I do about the Duff Sisters (and you being a parent I am sure know this as well) is from watching interviews on the Disney Channel that I was (am) forced to watch because of my kids (and my wife, who is a big kid at heart as well).

I guess a better way of putting it is that Hilary has had way more exposure in the limelight, and Haylie has mainly done more supporting and background work (especially in stuff involving her sister Hilary).

So this movie may be trying to serve a two-fold purpose for the Duff Sisters (What a name, The Duff Sisters)...

1) Get Hilary's movie career out of the stagnant state it has been in for the last 2-3 years.

2) Jump starting Haylie's into having a career.

I do not foresee this flick doing the trick, however. But then again, I thought "Step Up" would fall on it's face right next to "ZOOM" last weekend! 

Words to live by:
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, the "concept" of this movie dates all the way back to at least the Screwball Comedy era of the 1930s (and possibly to silent movies): The rich girl suddenly left poor who learns life lessons by facing harsh realities of everyday existence. It also sounds like yet another knock of the Paris Hilton/Nicole Ritchie reality series THE SIMPLE LIFE... 

I thought about the Paris Hilton/Nicole Ritchie reality series THE SIMPLE LIFE just after posting my original commentary when I was thinking "Say...I betcha Disney lifted the idea for Cow Belles originally from The Simple Life". I did not know however on the original roots of the whole concept until you posted it, Thanks!

Words to live by:
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 9:33am
Originally posted by JoBloMovieGoer

Neither Hilary Duff nor Lindsay Lohan can hold a candle to the queen of no talent teens, Mrs. Kevin Federline, aka Britney.

At least Lohan has made one or two okay movies ("Freaky Friday") and Duff is basically a harmless, though admittedly talent-free, teen idol. Britney, on the other hand, is a role more for ignorant-slatterns-in-training everywhere! 

NO argument with me there JoBlo...!

Words to live by:
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 4:39pm
My goodness, TWO for the price of DUMB...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 2:25am
Well this film is showing all the signs for its road to possible RAZZIE Glory; It is only playing in about 1500 theaters and so far is not being screened for critics. Is Anybody really surprised??

Words to live by:
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 10:52pm
I say we petition to have the producers, financers, and everyone else involved in making this film...executed.
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 1:59am
...or at the very least, bitch-slapped around the studio back lot!!

Words to live by:
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 7:47am

I just checked The IMDb Page for MATERIALS GIRLS, and saw that three-time Oscar nominee Angelica Huston is in it, playing someone named "Fabiella."  Talk about your Academy Award winners falling on hard times!! 

Response from Head RAZZberry:  Oops! Guess I forgot to mention Angelica in my intial Posting on this film. Of course, her being in this means she can follow in the ILL-lustrious footsteps of Halle Berry and Kim Basinger and turn Oscar gold into a chance at RAZZIE spray-paint!

Everything SUX!
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 1:50pm

You should also know, HeadRAZZ, that this is a family film. We can be able to make sure this will be added to the Worst Family Entertainment category. I totally like this category better than last year's one, Most Tiresome Tabloid Target, since it never had anything to do with movies.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
jacky View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:52am
Here's a sample of what critics think:

"Material Girls" Review

"The Duffs are worse on screen than the Olsen sisters...To say that the movie is one of the worst abominations ever committed to film might be going a bit far, but it certainly doesn't bode well for either Duff sister if this is the best script coming their way...I never wondered anything except how Hilary Duff might salvage her dwindling career after a number of successive flops."--ComingSoon.com

Rating 2/10

"Shoddy `Material' sends Duff duo straight into the dumpster"

"Sorry, Huston, Haas, Spiner and Prince: Whatever sordid shenanigans might have been captured on that alleged DVD could not possibly be as humiliating as having to list ``Material Girls'' as a ``credit'' on your resume...[the Duff sisters'] musical efforts turn out to be far more tolerable than their acting."--mlive.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>