Official RAZZIEŽ Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > TRUE GRIT Times Two... > Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply: Forum DISCUSSION of The 2 TRUE GRITS...

Name:

Emoticons
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum (rel="nofollow")
 Enable BBcodes to format post
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of The 2 TRUE GRITS...
Posted: June 14 2011 at 1:17pm By netqueen33
I'd be curious to know the ages of everyone posting.  If you grew up in the late 60's,  you would probably understand that in many ways we're comparing apples to oranges.  As a young girl watching the original with my Grandfather, we loved the movie without dissecting the ideas of racism, sexism, vengeance, and violence.  We could enjoy the film together in all its pollyanna glory.  I don't know if my granddaughter and I could view the latter version the same way.

In the article posted above (http://abortionsforall.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/truegrit/), the author argued the superiority of the latter version based on its dark, deeper probing and portrayal of vengeance, violence, etc.  For the most part, it would be too graphic to show tendons being severed; or too racy for serious cleavage in '69, whereas today anything goes. 

In today's world, film goers would rate today's horror/slasher films scarier, more "realistic" and "darker" and therefore better than those of the Master, Hitchcock.  Filmmakers in the past were constrained by the values and mores of their times. 

I just don't think it's that easy to compare movies of different generations.  Your age and the times do matter.  And by the way, I did enjoy the remake very much. 

Please not too many "senile old lady" comments...