Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > RAMBO the 4th
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

No Blood ’n’ Guts...No Vainglory!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Blood ’n’ Guts...No Vainglory!
    Posted: January 09 2008 at 7:41am

Most violent movie ever made? Crickey! Stallone is not only trying to outdo himself, he's going after Mel Gibson! That should make for an interesting confrontation in Rambo IV.

Yet, I am depressed. Stallone's fans, or at least one of his most ardent ones, have labeled me a "wisea$$." Now Stallone himself has taken up George W. Bush's clarion call to accuse me of being a bad American, simply because I regard the ancient practise of war as an obsolete and usually unnecessary instrument of statecraft. How much better might the world be were we to follow the notion, "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out." Ah yes, the neo-con/Rambo way!

Oh course, there was, once upon a time, a little guy in India who freed the second most populous nation on the planet without firing a shot. He noted that an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth philosophy tended to leave us with a lot of blind, toothless people. An American man with black skin brought the problems of racial inequity to the forefront in the 60's, not with riots or gunfire, but with peaceful marches, sit-ins and work stoppages. Maybe there is something to pacifism that the likes of Stallone and Bush should look into more deeply. I'll put away my soapbox now...we now resume normal programming....

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Now Stallone himself has taken up George W. Bush's clarion call to accuse me of being a bad American, simply because I regard the ancient practise of war as an obsolete and usually unnecessary instrument of statecraft. How much better might the world be were we to follow the notion, "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out." Ah yes, the neo-con/Rambo way!

What's amazing is how this film's Reagan-era ethics are still applicable in the neo-con world we now live in. The right-wing's attitude toward violence hasn't really changed despite the new philosophy ruling their faction. However, I think this film is a little late to the party. The thing is, right now the majority country is in a state of distrust toward violence as a solution (that's what people are saying, anyway), at least more so than before the ongoing vendetta against the people of the Middle East began. This leads me to wonder how audiences will respond to the film's pro-violence implications. Most likely viewers won't bother connecting the film's ideology to real world situations, but on the off chance people's tastes in cinema reflect their ethics, this film's degree of success (failure) may very well be telling of the true state of mind the nation's people are in. That's assuming that their ethics really are a factor in how they receive films.

On another note, the comparisons between this film and Rocky Balboa's chances at achieving some level of quality aren't valid. I make this conclusion, because the Rocky franchise, unlike the First Blood films, actually began with a good motion picture. First Blood was not a very good film, so this notion that the new Rambo could somehow be a return to glory in a similar fashion to Stallone's most recent boxing opus is a false assertion. Also, Rocky Balboa was overrated. There, I said it.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 5:14pm

Originally posted by moat

. Also, Rocky Balboa was overrated. There, I said it.

Agreed. Actually, nobody here, aside from the few ardent Stallone worshippers that pop in now and then, spent much time singing the praises of Rocky Balboa. At best, most of us simply acknowledged that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as we thought it would be. In my estimation, it would be far more accurate to label the original Rocky as "overrated."

Not a bad film to be sure, but certainly one of the most, if not the most, undeserving Best Picture Oscar winners in the history of little naked men statues. ( Of course, The Greatest Show On Earth and Titanic are in that discussion.) Considering the other films that were nominated the year Rocky was elevated to cinematic immortality, I think it becomes even more evident just how undeserving it really was. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Yes, indeed! Among the other four films ROCKY "stole" Best Picture from were ALL THE RPESIDENTS' MEN, NETWORK and TAXI DRIVER, all of which, from the perspective of 30 years later, were far better movies. The fifth contender was BOUND FOR GLORY (a quite well made biopic of singer/songwriter Woody Guthrie) which few people today even remember...

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 11:56pm

I thought of a slim possibility of Stallone actually having a winning streak (emphasis on "slim").  However, I am hearing early reports that Rambo is another one of those films following the Not Screened for Critics trend.

CDNDestroyer View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote CDNDestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 3:14am
Rocky Balboa I think worked because it didn't really try anything really risky or extravagent other than making a Rocky film 16 years later when Stallone was in his '60s.

It knew it was on shaky ground after the last few weak-to-terrible sequels so it played it safe and focussed on what made the first movie good.  A nice, underdog film about character development in the face of a challenge that requires training and discipline.  It wasn't trying to restart the series, it wasn't trying to revive Stallone's career (though knowing that was a possible side effect) but just a film directed for Rocky fans.

If Rambo does the same thing; pure non-stop violence, shooting and action without any political subtext like that it will be fun for nostalgic or popcorn purposes.  Don't get me wrong, I don't expect a masterpiece nor one I'll remember for the rest of the year.  Just a fun one-shot film.

Right now I'm going to say something very unpopular: I liked Rambo 2.  Maybe it was hated at the time of it's release in 1985, but I actually liked it for what it was.  Yes, Stallone's acting was bad and the violence near the end reached absurd levels...but it wasn't enough for me to call it among the worst ever.

Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 3:32pm
I'm probably going to see this turd on Friday...I'll report back after I see it
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 3:34pm

At the risk of saying something that might be construed as praise for Stallone, I can't think of anything more risky than making another Rocky sequel after 16 years. I'll give Stallone a measure of credit for navigating that minefield successfully, that being defined by not reducing himself and his career to the unequivocal status of "laughing stock."

...So far. The guess here is that Rambo IV will accomplish the feat.

wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 5:04pm

Originally posted by Mrs. Magnatech

I'm probably going to see this turd on Friday...I'll report back after I see it

Try and keep track of the exact body count for us, so we can see if this has what it takes to become the bloodiest movie ever (with all due respect to Charlie Sheen, who thought he did in Hot Shots 2). 

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:41am

I know we have been waiting for over 2 years to give Stallone what he deserves and I think part of the wait is now over, the only thing that sucks is we can't give him is long sought out Life time achievement until 2009. I am going to be seeing this masterpiece Friday, but I just wanted to share some of the early critic blastings....I means praises (even the positive ones) from Rotten Tomatoes, here are a few samples...

"The original Rambo movie was actually titled First Blood...This one should be called Entirely Too Much Blood."

" Nonstop shooting, gouging and dynamiting of fleeing civilians, with Rambo not too shy either to get into a little ripping out of throats with bare hands and selective disemboweling too."

" Stays on the verge of being a rousing dumbass flick at all times -- you've never seen so many mid-air organs -- yet its combination of outrageous bodily trauma and beagle-eyed moments of reflection never quite makes it go over the top."

" The battle sequences are so muddled in execution that we can't tell who's killing whom. Which may have been the point, but knowing Stallone -- and Rambo -- one doubts that very much."

"Rambo earns the Red Badge of Carnage" (That was a fresh review)

"Stallone is back. Rambo is back. It even ends with a nice bookend to First Blood. You might pick apart some of the plot or some of the mercenary dialog, but that's not the point. The point is to give Rambo fans the ultimate Rambo movie" (or in this case, Stallone Fans!, another Fresh Review)

"He's BAAAACCCCKKKK"!

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:54am
Originally posted by underage

SYLVESTER STALLONE WILL BE BACK AND AS FAMOUS AS HE WAS IN THE 80's... 

wait and see! 

Hey wait a minute....I thought Stallone was in his 80's and just famous for being bad (At film making)!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 7:01am

Originally posted by CDNDestroyer

Right now I'm going to say something very unpopular: I liked Rambo 2.  Maybe it was hated at the time of it's release in 1985, but I actually liked it for what it was.  Yes, Stallone's acting was bad and the violence near the end reached absurd levels...but it wasn't enough for me to call it among the worst ever.

Don't worry you weren't the only one that year...Allot of us made the same mistake and actually paid good money that year to see that movie, including me. Never been the same since.

Words to live by:
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 1:00pm
I was hoping for this film, like Rocky Balboa, to be surprisingly good. Unfortunately, judging by the reviews, it's gonna suck 
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 2:23am

Rambo IV stands at 29% at RT this morning, and the guess from this quarter is that it will hang around at about that number, or drop a bit. Even the postive reviews are making reference to the extreme violence, evidently even topping the bar set by Mel Gibson in his recent efforts. Personally, I find that appalling.

tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 5:33am

I saw this morning that Rambo has gone to 33% where as Untracable which stars one of my favorite actresses Diane Lane has gone to 13%

Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 12:42pm

I just got back from seeing this. First of all, let me just say that this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I've seen a ton of bad movies.  The "plot" involves Sly beating people, blowing up people, maiming people, ripping people's heads off, shooting people, and stabbing people, punctuated by pseudo-arty black-and-white flashbacks, leaden dialogue, and lots of close-ups of Sly staring into space, trying to look "pensive." Oh, and there's this missionary guy who tries to tell Sly that violence is wrong, but by the end of the movie he is beating a guy to death with a rock. Sly not only starred in this crap, he also co-wrote and directed it, which means he's eligible for not one, but three Razzies next year. I'm sure he tried to outsmart us by releasing Rambo in January, hoping we'd forget about it by December...but we won't forget, Sly! We won't forget!

I saw this morning that Rambo has gone to 33% where as Untracable which stars one of my favorite actresses Diane Lane has gone to 13%

Any "critic" who gave this a good review deserves to be fired, pronto

Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 1:38pm
To be fair, there are two movies that came out on Friday that are getting worse reviews (Meet the spartans, and Untraceable), adding on One Missed Call, and Dungeon Siege, 2008 isn't shaping up to be a great year for Cinema so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>