Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > SEMI-PRO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Not Even SEMI-funny...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Even SEMI-funny...
    Posted: March 07 2008 at 1:42am

WE'VE ALWAZE FOUND 2005 WORST SCREEN COUPLE CO-"WINNER" WILL FERRELL to BE ONLY SEMI-FUNNY -- WHEN HE AIMS for OUR FUNNY BONE, HE MISSES MORE OFTEN THAN HE CONNECTS.

BUT SHOULD THE BONE-HEADED BOX OFFICE BOMB SEMI-PRO GIVE FERRELL YET ANOTHER CHANCE at the RAZZIE® PLAY-OFFS? WITH IMPLODING NUMBERS at B.O. MOJO, a DIS-APPROVAL RATING ABOVE 75% at R.T. and SERIOUSLY NEGATIVE WORD-of-MOUTH, WILL WILL's FIRST CERTIFIED BOX OFFICE BOMB PUT the FROSTING on NEW LINE CINEMA's FUNERAL CAKE with MULTIPLE RAZZIE® NOMINATIONS NEXT JANUARY?

ENOUGH DRIBBLING from US -- NOW IT's YOUR TURN to FOUL FERRELL OUT of the GAME...

FERRELL: "What do you mean this could be next year's RAZZIE® Opening Number??" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 1:48am

Why is this just now being added to our Forum, and The Other Boleyn Girl (which at least tried to be adult and entertaining) was chosen as Worst of the Weak in its stead?? Semi-Pro is just another cookie-cutter / kookie Will Ferrell "comedy" that could have been made by any one of at least 27 directors-for-hire...in their sleep!! 

#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 1:52am

At this point, I don't think anyone reasonably expects anything but "cookie-cutter" material from Ferrell. He's been lazy (and repeating himself) for years now. The Other Boleyn girl, on the other hand, was advertised as being a "class act," when in truth it's a dime-novel style "bodice ripper" that actually generates more laughs (while trying to be serious) than Semi-Pro does... 

Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 3:06am

Ferrell abundantly deserved his Screen Couple Razzie for "Bewitched," totally stank in "Blades of Glory" (for which he couldn't even bother to lose weight to play an Olympic athlete!) and hasn't been truly funny in a film since at least "Ron Burgundy."

So, yes -- Let's consider him for a slot alongside Stallone in "Rambo" (how could he not be nominated?) and Tom Cruise in "Valkyrie" (for which even the publicity stills scream Razzie!) as one of our 2008 Worst Actor nominees!!

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 7:48am
I'll either see this or "10,000 B.C." this weekend.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 8:29am
I doubt this film will get the dishonors. Why? There's already several films out with single digit approval ratings!

On the other hand, I found the superbowl ad for this film kinda stupid. So, if everyone is saying that the ad was funnier than the movie, i guess there could be some action taken against this film...
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 1:06pm
I'd wait and see before nominating this one.  There are far more ways a film can be worse than this, and before all's said and done, we'll probably see it before next year's ceremony.  That said, by that point next year we will probably see Ferrell play a washed-up curling champion trying to stage his big comeback.  Or perhaps he'll be a cross-eyed fencer instead.  Either way, now that he knows what his formula is, he'll no doubt keep pouring it into the pot until there's no more left to give. 
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 3:35pm

Originally posted by thomsonmg2000

I doubt this film will get the dishonors. Why? There's already several films out with single digit approval ratings!

In that case, 2008 is going to be the new year of the stinker.  But as I looked at the RT ratings for this and Bewitched, I found that this is slightly lower in the ratings.  And remember what Stewie from Family Guy did as a result of Bewitched?  When it comes to Semi-Pro, I will say it once more: "Guess what?  I'm a Clippers player!"

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 9:31am
I just saw the film myself last night, I hate to say but this is probably Will's worst work since "Bewitched". About 2/3 rds of the jokes fell completely flat, They plagiarized material from both "Major League" and "The Replacements", and the movie could not decide whether to take itself seriously or just plain poke at itself. So overall it was a major disappointment for Will, do not think is bad enough for Razzie consideration (especially with all the other stuff out there thus far!). I will be looking forward to seeing Will in "Step-Brothers" in a couple months from now, The preview was hilarious (Hate to say the preview was funnier than the whole 90 mins of "Semi-Pro").
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 12:27pm
Woody Harrelson's always been kind of hit or miss to me, I thought he did a good job in No Country For Old Men, now he follows it up with this.......still he's got nothing on Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls to Norbit).
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 3:36am
Will Ferrell can be funny in his sleep. Believe me, folks. But only when he has directors who know his funny bone. Just like with Blades, Semi-Pro was stuck between two tones: the satirical Will Ferrell film and the serious minded love story (this time between Woody Harrellson and Maura Tierney). Subplots like this send the film off the rails, and not even the scene where Ferrell meets his mom - Patti LaBelle - in heaven made me laugh. The whole thing was a snoozefest.

Step Brothers will be better, because Ferrell'll be back with Adam McKay.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 9:21am
First, Anchorman and Bewitched (ok, those two were not sports movies, but they're on here because they've received RAZZIE nods), also came these sports movies, Kicking & Screaming (soccer), Talladega Nights (NASCAR), Blades of Glory (figure skating), and now this Semi-Pro (basketball). What's Ferrell gonna do next? Make another unfunny sports comedy? He's down to some narrow choices, football, baseball, hockey, etc.
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 4:32am

Or he could try yachting...

Or water polo... 

Or monster truck racing...

Or perhaps just try and rip off Cool Runnings by going the bobsled route. 

Then again, there's never been a definitive Quidditch movie yet...

bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 6:05am
There's no way anyone else would do a movie on Quidditch. Only in Harry Potter movies would you find that...  
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 5:14pm

Besides those scouting this movie to determine it's Razzie potential, who in the hell is going to his movies?

Damn it, stop funding this loser's career!

He is the Anti-Christ of Comedy. I still think that Bewitched should have won your Worst Movie of the Year award . . . 

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 2:33am

Saw this a few days ago: You guys were 100% right about this turd. The problem wasn't the jokes, they were OK. The problem was that there weren't enough. Most of the film featured a serious storyline of Woody Harrelson getting with his old girlfriend. Also, the bear-fight scene was funnier in the trailers -- and was done better in "Anchorman."

Still, not as bad as "Bewitched!"  

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>