Forum Home Forum Home > Forums on 2008 RAZZIE® "Winners" > THE LOVE GURU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Not Exactly Ga-Ga Over GURU...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Exactly Ga-Ga Over GURU...
    Posted: June 15 2008 at 1:56am

WE WEREN'T EXACTLY ASLEEP at the WHEEL, BUT WE WERE OUT-of-TOWN WITHOUT NEWSPAPERS or INTERNET ACCESS WHEN THIS ONE DEBUTED. ONCE AGAIN, WE WERE FOOLED by CLEVER MARKETING (WE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER).

BUT OUR FAITHFUL FORUM MEMBERS SPOTTED LOVE GURU AS a LIKELY CONTENDER BERRY EARLY -- and BEGAN BASHING IT BERRY ROYALLY...

WHY NOT JOIN in the OUR DIS-CUSSION. KARMA TELLS ME YOU KNOW YOU WANNA!

Kingsley: "When you can snatch the RAZZIE® from my hand, CAT-IN-THE-HAT Man, then you will be ready..." 

BONUS LINK: The L.A. TIMES' Tom O'Neil also spotted this one as a likely contender. Here's a LINK to read his piece predicting LOVE GURU could equal or better the 8 RAZZIE® Nominations garnered by Myers' crap-tastic CAT-IN-THE-HAT...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 3:10am
The reviews are only beginning to come in, but it looks like Get Smart will have a contender for Worst of the Weak.  The first reviews for Michael Myers' Love Guru have been harsh, such that Rotten Tomatoes is currently at 0%.  For example, Kirk Honeycutt of the Hollywood Reporter declares Love Guru to be "a regressive step in the extreme," with only Steve Colbert being "absolutely hysterical."  Ella Taylor of the Village Voice bemoans that Myers took two of his favorite things, ice hockey and Deepak Chopra, lumped them together and "called it a plot."  All in all, it appears Love Guru may become more known for its elephant poop than for being funny.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 1:11pm

It's at 9% (1 fresh, 10 rotten) and pretty much all of the negative reviews are harsh.

This is looking to be Uwe Boll bad.  Or Paris Hilton bad...or worse...even moviewizguy hates it bad?

Put this up right away!  Maybe Mike Myers will compete with Sylvester Stallone for the Worst Actor Razzie...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 1:45pm
The only one to praise this movie so far is Prairie Miller!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 4:38pm

Not only have the critics savaged this movie, not only does it star Jessica Alba-tross, but Mike Myers next movie. . .

. . .is a remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty??!!

PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 1:55am
Getting a 15% on RT. Looks like its dethroned Get Smart for the Berry Worst Movie of the Week

Hard to believe MM put out a real stinker, I loved the Austin Powers series . . . .guess anyone can have a misstep.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 3:51pm
So I guess we're all in agreement that "Love Guru" should be this week's worst movie. And from what I have been reading, it's pretty much a front runner to sweep the Razzie nods.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 6:54am
At Ain'tItCoolNews, Massawyrm said this of "The Love Guru": "Tonight Jason Freidberg and Aaron Seltzer have something to celebrate. They can now say that they made a movie every bit as good as Mike Myers." Holy , this must suck!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 4:56pm

Originally posted by PopcornAvenger

Hard to believe MM put out a real stinker, I loved the Austin Powers series . . . .guess anyone can have a misstep.

In fairness, this isn't his first, and there are two recent counting Cat in the Hat. Myers might want to give some thought to signing on with a new agent before we start mentioning him in the same breath with Will Ferrell.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 7:50pm

SPOILERS!

My take on this movie?

It's not half bad.  In fact, it's mostly bad. . . .

. . .but let's talk about the good things first.

When Mike Myers tackles new age/self-help/motivational/guru speaking head-on, giving a message with acronyms, many of which have been around for a long time (for example, Basic Information Before Leaving Earth out of BIBLE) and trademarking them, he's hilarious.  I wish the whole movie was geared towards having fun with this movement, but alas, it's not.

When Mike Myers takes on Bollywood dancing at the end with a Bollywood rendition of Steve Miller's "The Joker", that was funny.  Along the same line, when he and Manu Narayan (as Rajneesh) sing a version of "More Than Words" and Guru Pitka's tech guy held up a lighter, I was laughing.  Part way into the movie, there was a Bollywood version of Dolly Parton's "9 To 5" that was okay, but it could have been better.  I felt, since these scenes were in the grand tradition of Bollywood and since he was doing this so well, he should have added at least three more songs that made us laugh. 

Verne Troyer's outtake at the end of the movie was funny, too.

I was neither impressed with nor disappointed with Justin Timberlake's performance.  It was adequate.

I laughed several times throughout this movie, but for the most part, it wasn't funny, at many times, it was dumb, and many more times it ventured into Seltzer/Friedberg territory. 

Let me give you some examples.

1.  Narayan helping Myers "body floss" (through the mouth and out the other end).

2.  Myers pulling out half a pool cue that had been rammed up his butt during a barroom fight.

3.  Myers brings two elephants out on a hockey rink during the last penalty shot to do the wild thing so as to distract Romany Malco from his mental problems about his wife saying the same thing about Justin Timberlake during sex as she said about him.

4.  The audience, both at the rink and watching television, sitting there with jaws dropped (many pasted in) as they watched two elephants copulate. 

5.  Every scene with Ben Kingsley in it.

6.  Every midget joke, especially the whole scene that takes place in Coach Punch Cherkov's (Verne Troyer's) office.

7.  Jessica Alba-tross, although, like in Good Luck, Chuck, she showed a modicum of acting.  This isn't saying much, and someone else could have done it better, but her acting is better than Jessica Simpson's acting.  Jessica Simpson, by the way, makes a cameo in this film.

8.  Every scene with Telma Hopkins in it was badly written and unfunny.  Hopkins still managed to show she can act, though.

9.  Mike Myers' chastity belt, which should have been funny, and Verne Troyer's ability to punch through it without hurting his hand.

10.  The entire scene on the Toronto Maple Leafs jet.

So, as far as Razzie awards go, I would like to nominate Mike Myers for worst actor, Verne Troyer for worst supporting actor (for both this and Postal), Jessica Alba for worst supporting actress, Jessica Simpson for worst supporting actress just because she DARED to show up, Ben Kingsley for worst supporting actor, Manu Narayan for worst supporting actor, Romany Malco for worst supporting actor, Meagan Good for worst supporting actress. . . .

AND Mike Myers with either Jessica Alba, Manu Narayan OR his chastity belt for WORST SCREEN COUPLE!

I give this movie a generous 3 out of 10.

END SPOILERS!

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 8:45pm

This just in from IMDb.com: The movie is so bad and tasteless, Hindus are finding it insulting.

Movie executives at Paramount Pictures have honoured their promise to preview Mike Myers' new film The Love Guru for concerned Hindu leaders in Los Angeles.

Hindus, led by Rajan Zed, campaigned to see the film before its release on Friday - in a bid to make sure their fears about the movie were overblown.

But the screening has only served to bolster the religious opposition to the film, which Zed and his followers insist is disrespectful to Hindus and their beliefs.

Zed has now urged Hindus around the world to boycott the movie, claiming the picture "lampoons Hinduism and Hindu concepts and uses Hindu terms frivolously".

After attending the screening on Thursday, Zed rages, "The Love Guru is even more denigrating than we earlier perceived from the information gathered from trailers, websites and other sources.

"Mike Myers' guru instigates a bar fight, repeatedly narrates penis jokes, mocks yoga - one of the six orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy, wears female jewellery, mocks the concept of third eye, makes disciples drink tea passed through his nose, orders alligator soup, induces elephant copulation in front of the crowd, introduces himself as 'His Holiness', lives in a lavish ashram staffed with scantily clad maids, and whose goal in life seems to appear on the Oprah Winfrey show."

And the Hindu leader has suggested other religious groups should give the film, in which Myers plays an oddball guru called Pitka, a miss.

He adds, "Today it is Hinduism, tomorrow Hollywood might attempt to denigrate another religions.

"Hinduism is often misunderstood and wrongly portrayed outside India. Movies like this bring more confusion and create stereotypes in the minds of audience."

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 1:43am

Originally posted by Michaels

This just in from IMDb.com: The movie is so bad and tasteless, Hindus are finding it insulting.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . If you pay attention to what this sentence actually says. . . . I'm gonna leave that one alone for now.

Zed has now urged Hindus around the world to boycott the movie, claiming the picture "lampoons Hinduism and Hindu concepts and uses Hindu terms frivolously".

This is like the evangelicals boycotting The Last Temptation of Christ.  Boycotts tend to attract attention to a movie, and what is otherwise a bad movie will draw more audiences than it would if you just state your case.  Of course, this doesn't always work--for example, The Duh Vinci Code.  But The Love Guru is so bad, it's going to die in its own elephant poop.

"Mike Myers' guru instigates a bar fight, repeatedly narrates penis jokes, mocks yoga - one of the six orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy, wears female jewellery, mocks the concept of third eye, makes disciples drink tea passed through his nose, orders alligator soup, induces elephant copulation in front of the crowd, introduces himself as 'His Holiness', lives in a lavish ashram staffed with scantily clad maids, and whose goal in life seems to appear on the Oprah Winfrey show."

I think Mike Myers has more to worry about than Rajan Zed.  Parts of the barfight, the elephant copulation during a hockey match and Pitka's ashram with its scantily clad maids were at best halfway funny.  I'm sure if I watched this a second time through, they wouldn't be funny at all, much like the rest of the scenes he objects to.  Hindus may still be offended if they want, but it's the movie audiences who have cause to be offended.

He adds, "Today it is Hinduism, tomorrow Hollywood might attempt to denigrate another religions.

"Might"?  It has done so for decades!  Where has Zed been?

"Hinduism is often misunderstood and wrongly portrayed outside India. Movies like this bring more confusion and create stereotypes in the minds of audience."

Only the hardliners in India seem to be making headlines, and none of those headlines are good.  And perpetuating bad stereotypes is bad.  I'm sure midgets will feel the same way about Verne Troyer's portrayal of Coach Punch Cherkov.  It probably would have been better to mock the stereotypes.

Where the line should be drawn between free speech and prejudice is a whole other topic I'll let someone else here explore if they want.

However, we should never have to put up with paying over $10 (just over two gallons of gas where I live) for a comedy that's mostly stupid and unfunny.

In case you're wondering who Rajan Zed is, click here to read about him in Wikipedia.  He is a Hindu chaplain from Reno, NV, and is currently Public Relations Officer for the India Association of Northern Nevada.

One of the articles to carry Michaels' story can be found at Newstrack India by clicking here.

Another article in USA Today, which you can view by clicking here, goes into how Hindus are divided over the movie. 

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 3:29am
Maybe Ben Kingsly will get nominated for "War, Inc." and "The Whackness" as well.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 6:11am
Oh, a friend of mine was overhearing people talking about Myers version of
Walter Mitty and he said that it DOES include MORE penis jokes, farting,
boogers and Verne Troyer (not necessarily in that order!!!!)

May Danny Kaye rise from the dead and stir fry Mike Myers to death!
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 6:55am
I figured this would be another Austin Powers movie with different wardrobes. The same midget, the same too-pleased-with-himself Myers. To be fair, the first Austin Powers movie was alright, but the sequels were lame. The best comedy is when the actor plays it straight and serious, but Myers doesn't have the ability to do that.
Fred Cooper
whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 7:58am

This movie has elephant sex (reminiscent of Razzie sweeper Freddy Got Fingered) -- a sign of total bankrupt desperation. Love Guru must sweep the Razzies like Freddy did!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>