Forum Home Forum Home > Forums on 2008 RAZZIE® "Winners" > THE LOVE GURU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Not Exactly Ga-Ga Over GURU...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Exactly Ga-Ga Over GURU...
    Posted: August 04 2008 at 11:42am

This Rajan Zed guy just won't quit.

"America's Hindu leaders are asking Mike Myers to personally apologise for his portrayal of a comical spiritual leader in movie flop The Love Guru.

They want the funnyman to publicly apologise for "lampooning Hinduism" in the film.

In a statement released to WENN on Monday, Hindu leader Rajan Zed said that although the apology may not completely undo the damage done to the community, it might help "heal the wounds somewhat of a disturbed Hindu populace".

Zed, the president of Universal Society of Hinduism, says, "Ksama, or forgiveness, is one of the main virtues of Hindu ethics. If Mike Myers offers a genuine public apology, Hindus would not only absolve him but might also pray for his success in future movies."

Zed launched a protest movement against The Love Guru in March, urging all Hindus and other religious groups to boycott the film.

He claims that the failure of the film is largely down to his protest campaign."

I think somewhere in Myer's home is a dartboard with this Zed guy's face on it. Oh and if that wasn't enough, Myers is currently writing "Austin Powers 4".

superjoe89 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote superjoe89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 5:34am
the one movie i will never see in my life...lol
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:01am
Mike Myers has a BIG chance of winning Worst Actor, but next to Eddie Murphy (Meet Dave), the race for that category may be too close to call.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:12am

Agreed! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: In fact, for 2008 Worst Actor is as overcrowded as any category has ever been -- In addition to Meyers and Murphy, we also have Hayden Christensen, Dane Cook, Vin Diesel, Will Ferrell, Larry the Cable Guy, Al Pacino, Adam Sandler, Sylvester Stallone, Mark Wahlberg and (in the form of a Last Minute RAZZIE Christmas gift) Tom Cruise in VALKYRIE. 

Talk about an embarrassment of RAZZIE riches! 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 3:53pm
So you're saying that not only are the Guru Pitka and Starship Dave in contention, but also David Rice (Disaster Movie called him "the guy who ruined Star Wars"), Sherman 'Tank' Turner (you should see how Family Guy depicted him), Hugo Cornelius Toorop (film doesn't AD up), Jackie Moon (Suck it Trebek), Larry (get a job, you bum-bum-bum-bum), Dr Jack Gramm (and/or "Rooster"), Skeeter Bronson (Was that your feet?), John Rambo (again), Elliot Moore (Payne in the neck), and Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (not good with furniture; Stewie had a relative based off this guy).
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 1:04am
It seems that 2008 can be called the year Bollywood hit mainstream Hollywood.  India has played as a backdrop to both the Worst Picture, The Love Guru, and the Best Picture, Slumdog Millionaire
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 9:17am

Originally posted by cvcjr13

It seems that 2008 can be called the year Bollywood hit mainstream Hollywood.  India has played as a backdrop to both the Worst Picture, The Love Guru, and the Best Picture, Slumdog Millionaire

Yeah, I was just mentioning that in the "What Do You Think" subforum. It's also funny that the HeadRazz almost missed "Love Guru" altogether, but then added it after we pointed it out to him, and then it went on to "win" three big awards. I guess like "Slumdog Millionaire", "L.G." was the underdog bad movie of the year that went on to "win" big.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 2:13pm

I can understand why the HeadRAZZ didn't think The Love Guru was going to be as bad as it was.  The trailer had many of the funny moments, and Mike Myers hasn't outright choked since Cat in the Hat.  It's amazing that he worked ten years on this script and came up with what he did.

I'll just add that I agree with the HeadRAZZ that this wasn't the worst movie of the year.  It was definitely one of the worst movies, but it had a handful of genuinely funny scenes and schticks.  However, considering the expectations people had after Myers' Austin Powers and Shrek movies, this may have been not only one of the many bad movies this year, but quite probably the most disappointing movie of the year.  So, I suggest viewing this one as the Razzie membership connecting with the audience; we really didn't want Mike Myers to choke on this one.  We really wanted him to succeed.  And he failed.  Miserably.

I mean, when the climax of your movie is two elephants copulating during a hockey game, you've got problems. 

Most of the truly awful movies of last year that are worse than The Love Guru are ones that audiences smartly stayed away from, such as Strange Wilderness, Witless Protection, Postal, Disaster Movie, The Hottie & the Nottie, Beer for My Horses, 88 Minutes, In the Name of the King, etc.  One of the movies that is worse than The Love Guru that audiences may have seen would be Meet the Spartans, one lame joke after another lame joke after another lame joke.  I watched this one along with 300 on HBO with the same friend who went with me to see The Love Guru.  She loved The Love Guru (yes, I am friends with a fan of that movie), but she found Meet the Spartans to be completely stupid. 

But put your Razzies hats on for a minute.  How many of those movies have unintentionally funny scenes?  How many of those movies are fun to watch just for the pure pleasure of mocking them?  During the Razzie preview night, we had a lot of fun with In the Name of the King.  I could see us having fun mocking The Love Guru.  The Seltzer/Friedberg films just don't rate; it's hard to mock something that's just plain stupid.  The same goes for Larry the Cable Guy.  The Razzie crowd couldn't stand five minutes of Postal, and I'm guessing the same would be even more true for Strange Wilderness.  We probably would have had fun with 88 Minutes mocking Al Pacino's hair, or The Hottie & the Nottie.  Beer for My Horses, based on its trailer, has got to be primed for bad movie lovers.

Originally posted by Michaels

Originally posted by cvcjr13

Yeah, I was just mentioning that in the "What Do You Think" subforum. It's also funny that the HeadRazz almost missed "Love Guru" altogether, but then added it after we pointed it out to him, and then it went on to "win" three big awards. I guess like "Slumdog Millionaire", "L.G." was the underdog bad movie of the year that went on to "win" big.

sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 4:15pm
CAT IN THE HAT didn't disappoint at the Box Office, but it was downright UNFUNNY! And at least there's no sequel to this coming soon, because if there was, it would be worse than CAT IN THE HAT. It eventually would be titled CAT IN THE HAT COMES BACK, but no works on that to be made a movie at all.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 11:24am
Cat in the Hat was truly an abomination. The only appropriate medium for Dr. Seuss is true animation, as evidenced by CITH and How The Grinch Stole Christmas.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 1:39pm

Well, they did do How The Grinch Stole Christmas live, a box office hit, but recieved mixed to poorly by critics. However, when Horton Hears A Who came out, it was what all Dr. Seuss films should be, animated, NOT in a live version. They did do an excellent job on makeup on The Grinch...

The Grinch  Jim Carrey  in Universal's Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas

but a poor screenplay and turning it into live action was NOT a good idea at all. Sorry if anyone gets scared with the picture posted above. I'm sure it might give some people nightmares.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 12:57pm
You gotta be kidding me -- This was the worst movie of 2008?!

It's bad on technical aspects: A predictable script, a director that let Mike Myers ad-lib a lot...A movie can't rely on the humour he comes up with. Not to mention there were a lot of jokes re-hashed from his previous movies, especially when he chokes.

Nevertheless, I laughed at exactly half of the jokes. I mean, come on! Mariska Hargitay is like a goddess! But Myers getting urine in his face is dumb, spitting a lot isn't even supossed to be funny(right?), and throwing up a rooster and watching elephant sex... 

Jessica Alba continues to show no emotions, while Justin Timberlake has been showing he can be a good comedy actor.

This may sound shallow, but Myers and Alba shared one of the worst movie kisses -- No pasion, it just seemed they were doing it to finish the movie.

4/10.
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

So you're saying that not only are the Guru Pitka and Starship Dave in contention, but also David Rice (Disaster Movie called him "the guy who ruined Star Wars"), Sherman 'Tank' Turner (you should see how Family Guy depicted him), Hugo Cornelius Toorop (film doesn't AD up), Jackie Moon (Suck it Trebek), Larry (get a job, you bum-bum-bum-bum), Dr Jack Gramm (and/or "Rooster"), Skeeter Bronson (Was that your feet?), John Rambo (again), Elliot Moore (Payne in the neck), and Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (not good with furniture; Stewie had a relative based off this guy).
Nice!
Originally posted by sportsartist24

Well, they did do How The Grinch Stole Christmas live, a box office hit, but recieved mixed to poorly by critics. However, when Horton Hears A Who came out, it was what all Dr. Seuss films should be, animated, NOT in a live version. They did do an excellent job on makeup on The Grinch...

The Grinch  Jim Carrey  in Universals Dr. Seuss How The Grinch Stole Christmas

but a poor screenplay and turning it into live action was NOT a good idea at all. Sorry if anyone gets scared with the picture posted above. I'm sure it might give some people nightmares.

Those movies were funny.The problem is they went all PG.A lot of sexual innuendo.Adaptations tend to be bad for giving no respect to the source material.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 4:27pm
Yeah, Vits, I don't know how this movie beat out the likes of "Disaster Movie" and "Postal", other than perhaps more voting members were able to see "Love Guru". In the end, it's not what was the worst movie, but which movie got the most votes.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123