Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > THE NUMBER 23
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

NUMBER 23, Your Table is Ready!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NUMBER 23, Your Table is Ready!
    Posted: September 06 2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by bruin_522

Check this out. Here's one of the many reasons why this film's titled The Number 23: This is the 23rd project Joel Schumacher has directed (counting both his film and television work). I've even made a list of all of the 23 films Schumacher did starting with his first and ending with his last: 1-The Virginia Hill Story (1974) (TV), 2-Amateur Night at the Dixie Bar and Grill (1979) (TV), 3-The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981), 4-D.C. Cab (1983), 5-St. Elmo's Fire (1985), 6-The Lost Boys (1987), 7-Cousins (1989), 8-Flatliners (1990), 9-Dying Young (1991), 10-"2000 Malibu Road" (1992) TV Series (unknown episodes), 11-Falling Down (1993), 12-The Client (1994), 13-Batman Forever (1995), 14-A Time to Kill (1996), 15-Batman & Robin (1997), 16-8MM (1999), 17-Flawless (1999), 18-Tigerland (2000), 19-Bad Company (2002), 20-Phone Booth (2002), 21-Veronica Guerin (2003), 22-The Phantom of the Opera (2004), and 23-The Number 23 (2007). Which makes a total of...23.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Schumacher's responsible for all that tripe and has still never "won" a RAZZIE? The only title in there I'd even call close to being "good" is LOST BOYS. I'd say Ol' Joel may be due for a second Worst Director RAZZIE nod (he was previously nominated for BATMAN & ROBIN in 1997) come next awards season...

I loved "The Lost Boys", even if it was directed by the worst director ever. I, also, liked "Falling Down", "The Client", "Batman Forever", "Tigerland", and "Phone Booth". The others however were godawful. My bottom five of his are 5.) Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom Of The Opera, 4.) The movie currently in discussion, 3.) Bad Company, 2.) 8MM, and #1: "Batman & Robin".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 5:49am
Originally posted by tomsmobr

I too had thought about how the Razzie Nominating Ballot should look when comes to The Number 23:

Worst Picture: Number 23

Worst Actor: Jim Carrey

Worst Actress: Virginia Madsen 

Worst Supporting Actor: Logan Lerman 

Worst Screen Couple: Jim Carrey & The Number 23

Worst Director: Joel Schumacher 

Worst Screenplay: Fernley Phillips 

Worst Excuse For Thriller and/or Horror Movie

That's a total of eight Razzies Nods for this film!

You forgot Worst Remake/Rip-Off. It rips-off "Pi" and "Lost Highway".
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 8:00am

moviewizguy, why have you seen "Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie"? I admit, I have seen it, but I have an excuse: I was only 12 at the time. Also, kudos (thought I'd never use that in terms with moviewizguy) for hating "Jaws: The Revenge!"

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Oh, I just don't like it how they nominate movies for just attracting people to it. It's true. Other movie sites said it like nominating The Blaire Witch Project for Worst Picture just for the fact almost every movie critic loved it and the Matrix Reloaded some nominations to with the fact some critics thought it was even better or just good like the first one. It's just me that I hate them doing that to attract people. House of Wax? They just nominated it for Paris Hilton! What other reason would they do it for? If she wasn't in it, HOW would be one of the best horror movies ever. Trust me, IMDb users on the board complained the fact that that movie got a low rating. Oh, and the movies I TRULY HATE are these:

1) Darkness

2) Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

3) Halloween: H2O

4) Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment

5) Police Academy 3: Back in Training

6) Jaws: The Revenge

7) Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie

8) White Noise

9) Saw II

10) Silent Hill

11) Doom

12) Failure to Launch

13) Cabin Fever

14) Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:04am

Over at "Cracked," this was listed as having The Third Most Asinine Ending Ever. #2 was the "Planet Of The Apes" remake, and #1 was "The Life Of David Gale"... 

Jack Spencer Jr View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Spencer Jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 12:14pm
I just saw the movie, and it was garbage. There seems to be a lot of so-called thrillers this past year that are anything but. It was particularly flabby around the middle, but in this case, the first two acts are flabby. That takes talent to make the beginning lousy. Pretty much, the movie saved all the real plot twists for the final act, and this is not the least of it's problems.

It's sad, thought, a movie about the main character getting obsessed with something like the number 23 could, no... SHOULD work. It just doesn't. Yes, it's silly to go bonkers over a number, but that's kind of the point. Usually I like to play a mental game of how would I have improved the movie, and like a lot of movies lately, I'm stymied for an easy answer as this script isn't a fixer-upper but a total tear down. But one major flaw is that as Carey's character starts to read the book and falls into the paranoid delusion, he never questions or tries to escape it. Something like seeing the number 23 everywhere seems to be the sort of thing that would be easy to force yourself to ignore, the way a recovering gambler might take a deep breath and tell the clerk no, I don't wish to buy a lottery ticket. The idea being he would try to brush it off as the silly coincidence that everyone else tells him it is, until something else drags him back into the whole thing.

But nothing like this happens, so it become like the old horror movies where the audience asks why the hero is going upstairs to see where the monster is, or why they don't just call the cops, or get out of the house like the nice, ghostly voice says. Why doesn't Jim Carey just put the book down and try to put the number 23 out of his mind so his life can get back to normal? Well, for one, everyone who tells him he's taking things too far with this number business also tell him to finish reading the book, like the pack of nitwits they are.

The Number 23 is a movie that could have been a good study of paranoid fantasy, but the audience is left behind for the first two acts and when it finally come back to us in act 3, it's too little, too late.

The odd thing is, when the movie ended, the clock read 6:17.

Eerie.
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Jack Spencer Jr

I just saw the movie, and it was garbage. There seems to be a lot of so-called thrillers this past year that are anything but. It was particularly flabby around the middle, but in this case, the first two acts are flabby. That takes talent to make the beginning lousy. Pretty much, the movie saved all the real plot twists for the final act, and this is not the least of it's problems.

It's sad, thought, a movie about the main character getting obsessed with something like the number 23 could, no... SHOULD work. It just doesn't. Yes, it's silly to go bonkers over a number, but that's kind of the point. Usually I like to play a mental game of how would I have improved the movie, and like a lot of movies lately, I'm stymied for an easy answer as this script isn't a fixer-upper but a total tear down. But one major flaw is that as Carey's character starts to read the book and falls into the paranoid delusion, he never questions or tries to escape it. Something like seeing the number 23 everywhere seems to be the sort of thing that would be easy to force yourself to ignore, the way a recovering gambler might take a deep breath and tell the clerk no, I don't wish to buy a lottery ticket. The idea being he would try to brush it off as the silly coincidence that everyone else tells him it is, until something else drags him back into the whole thing.

But nothing like this happens, so it become like the old horror movies where the audience asks why the hero is going upstairs to see where the monster is, or why they don't just call the cops, or get out of the house like the nice, ghostly voice says. Why doesn't Jim Carey just put the book down and try to put the number 23 out of his mind so his life can get back to normal? Well, for one, everyone who tells him he's taking things too far with this number business also tell him to finish reading the book, like the pack of nitwits they are.

The Number 23 is a movie that could have been a good study of paranoid fantasy, but the audience is left behind for the first two acts and when it finally come back to us in act 3, it's too little, too late.

The odd thing is, when the movie ended, the clock read 6:17.

Eerie.
Not really odd considering if add  6 to 17 it comes out to be 23
Jack Spencer Jr View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Spencer Jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 10:09am
Originally posted by tomsmobr

Not really odd considering if add  6 to 17 it comes out to be 23

It DOES?!?

Oh.

My.

GOD!

It's true! No one told me this movie was NONfiction. Oh, endless magnitude! What does this number MEAN?!?

Seriously, though. I'm not making it up about the clock, which is what makes it funny. Would have been funnier if I had started the movie at 4:19, but you can't have everything.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 9:46am

The message of the movie is very good:

If we choose to believe a number is special,we'll see it ev'rywhere(that's one of the main themes in LOST).If some other director had made it,we would've find out he's 23 years old,he was born on the 23,or if you add his social security numbers you'll get 23.However,that doesn't mean is special.

The problem is that by showin'us this,the endin'changes the entire tone of the movie,and blows it.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:49pm
Actually, the message is not "if you think a number is special", it's more "mind over matter". If you think something is special and you live your life by it, you may eventually convince yourself that your life is controled by that special something.

But the real reason why this movie is here is because it was directed by the man who ruined the Batman movie series, and starred a non-funny Jim Carrey, and in Carrey's case, funny is the only way he can make money.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 2:55pm
You're right!I forgot to talk'bout that!

Jim isn't just a comedian.He's an actor.He's gon'na do drama sometimes,and you can't hate him'cuz of that.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 2:21pm
I just reviewed this movie in Rotten Tomatoes.Please vote:

www.rottentomatoes.com/user/812172/reviews/view.php?type=2&id=1168260
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 10:12pm
It could be argued that this isn't a horror movie. But, it's Joel Schumacher and it's been a while since I review a Joel Schumacher movie.

When Jim Carrey's playing Walter Sparrow for the first part, he's decent. Not great, but not terrible. He works as a dog catcher. That's it for the good.

When Jim Carrey's playing Walter Sparrow in the second part, he bad. As a paranoid nut afraid of the number 23, he's funnier than some of his recent comedy roles. His movie wife Virginia Madson is bad as well. The less said about her performance in the story within a story the better. And Logan Lerman is annoying as Hell as their son Robin. His name is Robin Sparrow. Geddit?

When Jim Carrey's playing Detective Fingerling he's f*cking horrible!!! He's completely over his head here. His performance is groan inducing without being hilariously bad. I'm going to say something incredibly shocking now: Joel Schumacher's direction isn't the worst thing here!!! He still can't direct, create tension, or make us care about the characters, but he's not the worst. The worst thing is the script by Fernley Phillips. All his script amounts to is Darren Aronofsky's Pi with dumber writing and worse actors. You could have excised the 23 plot from the film without changing too much of the story. Also, I think that this script might have been rejected a couple of times since there's a scene where Walter uses a callbox to call the police. This is a movie made in 2007 and he had the son with him when he called. The son didn't have a cellphone? And let's not even get into the moronic twist. I'll be here all night ripping that too shreds.

It felt good to bash Schumacher again. Grade: F

Next-up: Hannibal!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123