Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Off with Their Hedz!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off with Their Hedz!!
    Posted: February 27 2008 at 8:13am

THIS SEEMS an ODD TIME of YEAR to BE RELEASING WHAT WE CALL "OSCAR®-BAITERS"...UNLESS THEY'RE REALLY RAZZIE®-BAITERS in OSCAR GARB!

EARLY WORD on THIS PERIOD MELODRAMA DEALING with HENRY VIII (ERIC BANA of THE HULK) and HIS INTEREST in BOTH ANN BOLEYN and HER SIBLING IS THAT IT's...a BORDERLINE CONTENDER for OUR AWARDS. CO-STARRING THREE-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE NATALIE PORTMAN (STAR WARS' QUEEN ARMADILLO) and FOUR-TIME GOLDEN GLOB NOMINEE SCARLETT JOHANSSON, IT'S GOT WORDS LIKE "KITSCHY" and "TRASHY" SHOWING UP in the REVIEWS OVER at R.T.

IN SHORT, THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL LOOKS LIKELIER to BE ONE for OUR CONSIDERATION THAN ONE for THEIRS...

Johansson: "And if our movie's lame enough, I can wear this little RAZZberry-and-Gold number to next year's RAZZIE Awards!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 8:34am

Yes! Just four more films and we can have a Worst Oscar-Baiter Gone Wrong Category for NEXT year!  

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 8:51am
Honestly, this one looks like what I call a "gutter-ball" -- Rolling right down the gutter between Oscar-worthy and Razzie-worthy. By year's end, I suspect there'll be a LOT worse stuff than this for us to pick from...amd pick on!
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 9:40am

Good to see the RAZZIES expanding toward films normally praised regardless of their content. It's fun to slam on Larry the Cable Guy, but he's a target aimed at far too often. Here's hoping for more contenders like this in the future! 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 9:45am
^^Very true...still, I want the Oscars to do it better. At least they nominated Surf's Up over Simpsons and Norbit. That's a step up.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:36am
"The Simpsons Movie" was way better than "Surf's Up". Personally, I found "The SImpson Movie" to be better than "Ratatouille".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 4:40pm

For the record, I also thought Simpson's movie was better than Surf's Up or Ratatouille, but back to the topic...

How many more angles are left from which to explore the debaucheries of Henry VIII? There have been a couple of biographies specifically aimed at him, we've had A Man For All Seasons, Anne of A Thousand Days and half a dozen others. Does anyone really give a crap? And if this movie were even remotely worth seeing, they wouldn't be burying it in late February.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 3:27am

I for the record thought that Ratatouille had a little more "Class" than the Simpson's. However, The Simpson's was a very close second with Surf's Up being a weak entry, But Anyways...

In defense of Natalie Portman, The only reason why she ended up with those 2 Razzie noms (As always, HeadRAZZ, please correct me if I am wrong) was due to her being guilty by association by being stuck with Hayden "I can't act" Christensen for the Worst couple screen couple category. As far as the movie goes I will reserve judgment until I rent the DVD, However at this point I really do not see it making our bottom 10 for any of the 2009 category Razzie catagory's. Of course I could be wrong

Response from Head RAZZBerry: Actually, two of Portman's 3 RAZZIE Nominations were in our Worst Screen Couple category -- Alongside Jake Lloyd in STAR WARS: EPISODE I and with Hayden Christensen in EPISODE 2:CLONE WARS. But her third nomination was all her own, as Worst Supporting Actress for CLONE WARS. She didn't "win" any of the three. To see who she "lost" to for Supporting Actress, here's a LINK to Portman's "Awards" page on the IMDb... 

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 8:44am

Hmmm...right nowm I am getting a 46/53% positive reviews for Boleyn Girl, while Semi-Pro aka Talladega Blades of Basketball is at 21/19%.  We may have to change things on Worst movie of the Weak here.

Ferrell: "Guess what?  I'm a Clippers PLAYER!"

whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 9:05am
This movie is so close to fresh. Semi-Pro should be number 1.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 4:57pm
I forgot that Semi-Pro was being released this week. Clearly, that is a more appropriate target for our discussions. Stale as yet another retelling of Henry VIII's assorted marital adventures may be, I'd much rather sit through another one than anything Will Ferrel appears in...unless, of course, he is playing Henry VIII.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 5:20pm
...true, but even a crappy Will Ferrel movie is still funnier and more entertaining than another historical piece.

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 2:58am
Arguably Semi-pro is something of an historical piece, dealing as it does with the absorbtion of a handful of ABA franchises (in this case a fictitious one) by the NBA. Our own Denver Nuggets (at the time they were the Rockets, but had to change their name to appease the Houston NBA franchise) were one of those adopted into the more prominent league. But since I probably wouldn't go see the Nuggets or any professional basketball game if it were being played out in the parking lot, I guess even another Henry VIII yarn looks good by comparison. And in the grand scheme of things, even an NBA game ranks higher on my list of preferred activities than a Will Ferrell movie.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 12:22pm

Get over it SaturnWatcher!!!  Will is a funny guy, he's not trying to be the best actor in Hollywood.  He's just trying to be funny for crying out loud and he is!!!!  Try to lighten up and take a joke... and stop thinking with the lower parts of the male anatomy...geeze!!!!  (Just kidding )

Anyways, I will give you this maybe one of his weaker efforts of late, but even a half-ass Will Ferrell movie is still worth a watch. But then again you have to be into that brand of humor. Still I am hands down sure I will not fall asleep watching the movie like I would if I was to see this particular movie.

P.S. You gotta admit that Will is still a hell of a lot funnier than Larry is on the Big Screen any day.

Words to live by:
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by ITbeast

Get over it SaturnWatcher!!!  Will is a funny guy, he's not trying to be the best actor in Hollywood.  He's just trying to be funny for crying out loud and he is!!!!  Try to lighten up and take a joke... and stop thinking with the lower parts of the male anatomy...geeze!!!!  (Just kidding )

Somehow, I have a problem figuring out how WE are the ones lacking a sense of humor...but if I earn any more titles around here...(stuck up, votes with my dick, smart ass) it's going to take 25 minutes to introduce myself everywhere I go. Sadly, my dream of being a Razzie presenter is thoroughly down the drain, simply because the introduction would cause the show to exceed all reasonable time limits

Anyways, I will give you this maybe one of his weaker efforts of late, but even a half-ass Will Ferrell movie is still worth a watch. But then again you have to be into that brand of humor. Still I am hands down sure I will not fall asleep watching the movie like I would if I was to see this particular movie.

Point taken

P.S. You gotta admit that Will is still a hell of a lot funnier than Larry is on the Big Screen any day.

Again, I concede the point...the very thought of Larry playing Darren Stevens in Ferrell's stead is horrifying, however lame Bewitched might have been.

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 7:07am

Agreed...

However this movie did better than I originally expected in ticket sales...A little disappointed (Okay allot disappointed) by Semi-Pro, We may see my boy at the beginning of next year's voting ballots. Oh, Well (Or in this case Oh Will).

Words to live by:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>