Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > ALVIN & THE UP-CHUCKS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Oh, Get MUNK’D Yerself!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh, Get MUNK’D Yerself!!
    Posted: December 13 2007 at 4:45am
Yep...only 6 reviews in so far, but it's something less than a promising start.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 10:52am

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Yep...only 6 reviews in so far, but it's something less than a promising start.

It's now up to 28%, with 3 of the 6 "cream of the crop" critics giving it a thumbs up, but we've only just begun receiving the reviews on this one.

wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:53am

Given that Ross Bagdasarian Jr. is indeed on board with this after all, one can only assume that at the moment's he's either:

A) Flat Broke

B) Dead Drunk, or

C) Being Blackmailed by Somebody 

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 5:27pm

Let's consider those 3 possibilities in turn:

A) Flat Broke: It's been most of 40 years since Dear Old Dad caught lightning in a bottle with that whole "chipmunk" business, and let's face it: The idea really didn't really have legs. The cartoon was popular for a few years, then died.  The annual royalties from the Christmas album these days probably couldn't buy a lunch at McDonalds. Ross jr. hasn't exactly done much on his own, apart from a handful of mostly unsuccessful attempts to milk a few more dollars reintroducing a couple of new generations to The Chipmunks. "Broke" looks like a pretty good possibility...

B) Dead Drunk: I don't know the man. I'm entirely clueless as to his personal habits along these lines, and I'm not anxious to get sued.

C)Being Blackmailed by Somebody: Doggone if I wouldn't love to believe that we could offer that excuse to explain Tim Burton's involvement in Peewee's Big Adventure. Still, I wouldn't presume to understand the mind of your average blackmailer, but if I were going to participate in something of that nature, I'd go after a bigger fish than Ross Bagdasarian Jr., if you get my drift. How much shame can you lay at the doorstep of a person who has spent a lifetime enduring the legacy of being the offspring of the man who created Alvin and the Chipmunks? You could probably actually improve this man's public image if you sold videos of him playing jacks with Osama Bin Laden. I think we have to rule this one out...

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 4:51pm

Looks like Alvin might finish just above our threshold at 27% at RT. I Am Legend, which roasted the chipmunks at the box-office managed a 60%, just good enough to garner a "fresh" rating.

Wouldn't it be interesting if somebody made a "last man on earth" flick where the man/woman really was the last person on earth? The best movie of that theme, imho, is still The Quiet Earth, a largely forgotten but outstanding 1985 indie from New Zealand. Finding it is a bit difficult since most of the major rental outlets no longer have it on the shelves. I believe it was released on DVD about a year and a half ago.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 4:15am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

. . . The best movie of that theme, imho, is still The Quiet Earth, a largely forgotten but outstanding 1985 indie from New Zealand. Finding it is a bit difficult since most of the major rental outlets no longer have it on the shelves. I believe it was released on DVD about a year and a half ago.

Netflix has it.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 6:52am

This made over $45 million over the weekend! I'm so surprised! Also, I Am Legend made about $72 million or something like that. That film was really underwhelming but still satisfying to recommend it. I know Will Smith is a box office grabber but I can't think people would actually see a movie with one person in it...

tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 7:19am

I was also surprised about The Chipunks doing as well as it did. I thought it would do the same amount as Fat Albert did 3 years ago. And I Am Legend did $76.5 million...

whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 3:23am

Well done Chipmunks! I watched the shows as a kid, and listened to their Christmas album. Didn't see the movie, though a lot of other (apparently nostalgic) people did!

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 12:47pm

I take it you thought it would be an action-packed thrill ride. Personally, I thought it worked best as a drama, showing Will Smith go insane. Also, didn't the vampire/mutant/zombie that really hated Will Smith look like Michael Berryman from "The Hills Have Eyes"?

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I Am Legend was really underwhelming but still satisfying to recommend it. I know Will Smith is a box office grabber but I can't think people would actually see a movie with one person in it...

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:19pm

I just saw this crap on DVD...it's every bit as bad as you would think. The "jokes" are mostly groan-inducing!

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 9:01am

I consider this a good movie.It doesn't rely on jokes related to fart or hittin'someone you know where.And it's message isn't all that new,but it's more than other G-rated live-action movies have.I can assure you parents will laugh too.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Vits

I consider this a good movie.It doesn't rely on jokes related to fart or hittin'someone you know where.And it's message isn't all that new,but it's more than other G-rated live-action movies have.I can assure you parents will laugh too.
Ah, wasn't there a scene in which David ate one of the chipmucks' s***? I know there's was some kind of scene that had to do with s***, which is not G-rated material, my opinion.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:17pm
I said it doesn't rely on those jokes.One is harmless.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Vits

I said it doesn't rely on those jokes.One is harmless.
For some up-tight parents, ONE is one too many.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 12:49pm
That's right:"Some",not "All".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>