Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > VAN WILDER 2: THE RISE of TAJ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Oh, Goody! Another Crummy College Comedy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh, Goody! Another Crummy College Comedy!
    Posted: November 26 2006 at 7:23am

THE FIRST VAN WILDER WAS OVER 5 YEARS AGO, and ONLY GROSSED $38 MILLION WORLDWIDE. SO WHY HAS THIS SEQUEL EVEN BEEN MADE?  AND IF IT HAD to BE MADE, WHY DIDN'T IT GO DIRECT-to-VIDEO??  COULD THE ANSWER BE...THE INEVITABLE HAS FINALLY HAPPENED: HOLLYWOOD HAS TOTALLY RUN OUT of ORIGINAL IDEAS ???

Generic College Student #2-B: "Nope, nothin' worth seein' down there..." 

For Additional Info & Postings on This Title, CLICK HERE...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 7:53am
You would think National Lampoon would have realized long ago that no film under their umbrella ever does well, unless the writer's name is Harold Ramis or John Hughes.  How they've even keep going is beyond me...   
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 9:31am
At least the most recent "American Pie" sequel (and even Lampoon's own "Dorm Daze 2") did go direct-to-video. What on Earth are they thinking opening this in theatres??  Bet they'll get their butts kicked at the B.O. --  And deservedly so!
Everything SUX!
#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 9:46am

Looking at the Rotten Tomatoes page for this, I thought for one brief moment that the title character of Taj was going to be played by Aasif Mandvi, who's so hilarious on "The Daily Show." If that were the case, then maybe it would be funny after all...Then I went to the IMDb page for it, and realized it stars Kal Penn of "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle"...oh, well.

Guess it will suck after all! 

Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 4:17pm
National Lampoon is just sooooooo 70s...
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 5:23pm
Why couldn't National Lampoon have died the same way disco did??? The movie-going public would be much better off if it had...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 5:43pm
Razzilla, I remember back in the 70s when The National Lampoon WAS funny,  before it degenerated into self-parody. I also remember how cotroversial it was when it first came out. Idiot preachers denounced it as "an X-Rated version of Mad Magazine"...Which only made me want to read it more!
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
messy-1 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote messy-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 1:38am

National Lampoon doesn't exist anymore. The name is a front, rented out to film producers.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Heaven forbid! You're not suggesting Hollywood would pimp out a popular name in a desperate attempt to sell movie tickets...are you?!?!?

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 2:35am

I saw a sneak preview of it yesterday. I'd rate it: ** out of ****.

Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but definitely not the worst film of this year. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually. we weren't looking at this one as being a Worst Picture contender, but according to the vicious review in The L.A. Times this morning, it certainly looks like a reasonable choice for consideration as Worst Sequel... 

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 2:05am

I also liked the magazine...but most of the movies that took their name wound up doing a LOT of damage to their reputation... Not as good as MAD though...but a close second, if you didn't have a copy of MAD nearby... BTW: I believe that Jaws 3 / People 0, if it actually would have made it to the theaters, would have been MUCH better than Jaws 3-D...

Originally posted by JoeBacon

Razzilla, I remember back in the 70s when The National Lampoon WAS funny,  before it degenerated into self-parody. I also remember how controversial it was when it first came out. Idiot preachers denounced it as "an X-Rated version of Mad Magazine"...Which only made me want to read it more!

Response from Head RAZZberry: I, too, fondly recall MAD Magazine (their movie parodies were often priceless) but in the 70s and 80s, I much preferred SPY Magazine to NATIONAL LAMPOON. SPY's series entitled "Separated at Birth?" was often laugh-out-loud funny. My two all-time favorite pairings: Carole Channing & Senor Wences' lipsticked hand, and Bette Davis & The Gnarled Old Apple Trees from WIZARD OF OZ...

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2006 at 6:56pm
What bothers me most is that the movie titles all start the same way:
"National Lampoon's....etc" as if NL actually owned it or something.
NL has gone the way of "Rolling Stone" magazine, totaly commercial, just another valuable, sellable, brand name,  as they say in the "biz".
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 3:53am
If you have not seen the commericals by now, "Van Wilder - The Rise of Taj" continues the Too Hot for Theaters (AKA Director Cuts) DVD tradition, and comes out this Tuesday...
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 8:15am
The original "Van Wilder" was ok, but this was godawful
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 2:23pm
It suffered the "EVAN ALMIGHTY effect":The only reason this movies were made was'cuz supportin'actors from the first movies became famous after,so they decided to give them lead roles.The difference is that one was actually good.

When I saw it,I thought it was bad,but I didn't even considered it to be the worst.However,after checkin'the list of all the movies I saw that year,this one was the worst.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 3:11pm
I just saw VAN WILDER 3.Although I gave 3/10 to all 3 movies,it was the worst by far.Do they even try?

I know they're desperate for money,so they use product placement.But we stuff like iPhones,even though it's 1995.

It was predictable because it's been literally the same college movie over and over.At least the first 2 had somewhat of an original plot.

Why hasn't National Lampoon broke if they only make direct-to-DVD movies?

During the sad part,I must admit Jonathan Bennett was actually showing emotions.Too bad the rest of the movie he can't use his skills because he's just imitating Ryan Reynolds.

Steve Talley now has a reputation.Remember when I talked about the Rule Of 3(which is from AMERICAN PIE(Talley was in the 5th and 6th movie))?He has done 3 of this movies.Now we'll expect him to continue down that road.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 4:23pm
No, Vits, they don't even try. Trying is too hard. Making a quick buck while half-assing your way through the movie is much easier. Yeah iPhones in 1995, well done National Lampoon, well done. I'm surprised Seltzerberg doesn't have a multi-picture deal with them.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>