Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > HANNIBAL RISING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Oh, Hannibal...You CANNIBAL!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh, Hannibal...You CANNIBAL!
    Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:55am
This piece of crap is definitely a "WORST SEQUEL OR PREQUEL" contender!!!
dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 5:38am

Don't forget Worst Remake or Rip-Off! Another Hannibal movie? COME ON!!!!!!

Response from Head RAZZberry: As a "prequel" to the several previous (and all superior) HANNIBAL films, this one definitely qualifies in our Worst Sequel or Prequel category. Even though the film itself is, in every sense, a "rip-off," it doesn't technically qualify as a "Remake." Not to worry, though, I expect HANNIBAL XVIII to be one of the titles listed all over our Nominating Ballot come January... 

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 1:25pm
This was OK, but not nearly as good as the other "Hannibal" movies.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 12:42pm
I just saw it, and soon I'll comment on the whole saga. I just wanted to point out something that nobody else in this forum did: Although Gaspard Ulliel was bland, I still was relieved when I read the list of actors in consideration to play LECTER. It included Tom Sturridge, Razzie nominee Macaulay Culkin, and Razzie winner Hayden Christensen. I just can't imagine any of them being scary. Sturridge was "cutesy-creepy" in WAITING FOR FOREVER, which is so not the same. To be fair, I've never seen THE GOOD SON, so maybe Culkin could've pulled it off.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 1:57pm
Skip to 02:25.

Any thoughts?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 10:07pm
Ignore that comment I made three comments up. After re-watching this, I realize now that my taste wasn't as good as it was now.

The best performance comes from Gong Li as Hannibal's Japanese aunt. It's not a great performance, but it's way better than everyone else in here. In addition, the film is unintentionally funny at many times, which makes it a little better than Hannibal.

Almost all the actors in this film are bad. The only ones that don't belong in this section are Gong Li and Gaspard Ulliel, who I'll get to in the next paragraph. Rhys Ifans is the most memorably bad of the non-Ulliel actors. He plays a Nazi who eats Hannibal's little sister. If that sounds hilarious, it's because it is. Too bad the makers didn't realize it. The direction by Webber is pretty bad too and the cinematography is murky at times. Not Aliens V.S. Predator: Requiem murky, but still.

As mentioned in the previous Gaspard Ulliel gives the worst performance in a film that's lousy with them. Now, it's hard to play a role that was masterfully plaed before, but even if Anthony Hopkins was never born, his performance would still be incredibly awful. But the biggest failing of the film is the freudian excuse given to Hannibal. And not just because the excuse (Nazis ate his sister!!) is hilariously awful. The biggest problem is that it takes the mystique out of Hannibal. This is a massive problem with prequels: they explain things that don't actually need explaining. Why Hannibal became a cannibal isn't neccesary to the plot of The Silence Of The Lambs. As memorably discribed in the first Scream, it's scarier when the killers in movies don't have a motive for their killings.

At least there's no man-eating pigs this time. Grade: D

Next-up: King Kong '76!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12