Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > LETTERS TO JULIET
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

OH, ROMEO, ROMEO...PLEASE SHUTUP!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OH, ROMEO, ROMEO...PLEASE SHUTUP!!!!!!!
    Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:23am
THE PREMISE of THIS WOULD-BE "ROM/COM" HAS a SMIDGEN of PROMISE: AN ABOUT-to-BE-MARRIED YOUNG WOMAN VISITS the WALL in VERONA WHERE STRANGERS LEAVE LETTERS TO JULIET, SEEKING ADVICE ABOUT HOPELESS ROMANCES.   SHE BECOMES OBSESSED with a SPECIFIC LETTER SHE READS, and DECIDES SHE MUST INTERCEDE to RE-UNITE the LOVERS WHOSE TRYST NEVER HAPPENED a HALF-CENTURY AGO. 

BUT BY the TIME the IDEA REACHED the SCREEN, LETTERS TO JULIET HAD BEEN RE-WORKED, WATERED-DOWN and GENERICIZED to the POINT of BEING a HOPELESS ROMANCE ITSELF. STARRING the OCCASIONALLY APPEALING AMANDA SEYFRIED and RE-UNITING VANESSA REDGRAVE and FRANCO NERO (WHO PLAYED the STAR-CROSSED GUINEVERE and LANCELOT in the AWFUL MOVIE VERSION of CAMELOT OVER 40 YEARS AGO) JULIET IS SEYFRIED's SECOND FAILED ROM/COM THIS YEAR (DEAR JOHN, ANYONE??) and IS ALSO the SECOND 2010 ROM/COM/BOMB with an ELEMENT of "MAGIC" to ITS PREMISE. 

WE PRESUME, by YEAR's END, IT'S UNLIKELY to BE REMEMBERED by ANYONE BUT OUR VOTING MEMBERS...and EVEN THEY MIGHT FIND IT FORGETTABLE!  

QUICK, BEFORE YOUR MEMORY OF IT FADES...VENT YOUR VENOM at THIS VERONESE VARIATION on WHEN IN ROME...

AMANDA: "It's a letter from an anonymous fan of 
Rom/Coms, accusing me of being grossly guilty, along 
with Gerard Butler, of helping to kill off their favorite 
movie genre!"  
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 11:48am
Hmm, so Amanda Seyfried is now the go-to girl if your movie is sappy romance about a girl reading and/or writing love letters. Well, I guess all actors and actresses have their little niche in the industry.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 3:38pm

I'm sure I speak for every koukousei (high school student) for miles and miles around when I say that, when I first found out about this my reaction was: "NO WAY AM I WATCHING THIS sh*t"

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 6:10pm
Yes, that is what all the high school boys would say ... until their high school girlfriends drag them to it ... or else no lovin' for them!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 8:47pm

Wasn't Vanessa Redgrave born in 193X for cryin' out loud!? I didn't think that many koukousei were interested in anyone that OLDE! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's an IMDb LINK to see Vanessa Redgrave's info, which lists her date of birth as January 30, 1937, which would make her 73 -- An appropriate age for the character she's playing in JULIET, but admittedly not an age likely to appeal to "koukousei" -- at least, not as an object of sexual fantasies...

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 9:33pm
"Koukousei"... So we're taking Japanese classes, I take it?
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 11:11am
I'm guessing GTAHater767 is a Japanese anime fan. But yeah, males aren't going to see this movie for Miss Redgrave. They are gong either because their girlfriends are dragging them to it, or they are going to drool over Amanda...  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 1:01pm
Because a couple of almost-a-century-olds play such major roles, I easily forgot Amanda Seyfried was even in this. Somehow, I just knew it wouldn't be a good sign.

P.S. To dEd Grimley: Hai, KURASU ga arimasu. (Literal Translation: "yes, I have a class")

P.P.S. To BurnHollywoodBurn. Anime is not the only reason to take Japanese classes. Business, computers, technology... You'd be surprised how important the language has become in the last century.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 1:35pm
I might go see this because: 

1)I'll drool for Amanda,who in my country has been called "The New Hollywood Princess."  

2)I drooled a little bit over Vanessa in NIP/TUCK,so I may also do that here. 

3)This movie genre hasn't truly died. Maybe we only get one good rom-com each year, but that's enough for me.And who says this can't be the one?  
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 1:36pm
In reply to GTAHater767:  

1. That's quite a feat, considering her face takes up 60% of the movie's poster. 

2. I did not know that; I do know it's one of the hardest languages to learn!  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

1. I easily forgot Amanda Seyfried was in it. 
2. Anime is not the only reason to take Japanese classes. Business, computers, technology... You'd be surprised how important the language has become in the last century.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 11:37am
Baaaah, wakatta, urusai. Nihongo benkosh!ta. Demo koko ni nihongo hanash!te wa hen da. Otaku no naka de wapaniisu hanash*te, kudasai.  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

To dEd Grimley: Hai, KURASU ga arimasu. (Literal Translation: "yes, I have a class") 

-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 12:42pm
I would've expected someone here to know the language better than I do. I've only taken 1 class so far, and I have three more to go over the coming years. I know you said something about: Japanese language, "but here...", "within", and please. Later, I looked up some of these words and found "understood", "tiresome", "speak", "strange", "obsession", "please speak". Did one of those sentences translate as "But here, speaking Japanese is strange."?

On topic: The following is meant for Vits: In Chile, your tastes are...very different from ours. And if you're wondering why this can't be 2010's only good romantic comedy, just wait until the reviews start coming in. They're highly unlikely to praise the movie.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 9:35pm
Essentially, I said in a very rude way, don't use random Japanese words on a forum like this, because you sound like a weirdo.

Yes, the one sentence was that; here referring to this forum.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 11:26am
Maybe he can use Japanese, like in order to say "Is s***" when commenting on a movie.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 6:24pm
Kono eiga wa kuso da.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 6:57pm
Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto. Mata au hima de. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto. Himitsu o shiri tai.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>