Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > QUARANTINE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

OMG -- Another Horror Remake?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OMG -- Another Horror Remake?!?
    Posted: October 06 2008 at 4:37am

OKAY -- YES, IT IS YET ANOTHER RE-MAKE of a FOREIGN HORROR FILM. BUT IT's NOT LIKE THAT's ALL HOLLYWOOD PRODUCERS KNOW HOW to DO THESE DAZE -- THIS TIME IT's, LIKE, TOTALLY DIFFERENT...

SEE, THE ORIGINAL FILM WASN'T ASIAN -- IT WAS SPANISH...

AND IT WAS a HIT NOT ONLY WITH AUDIENCES, BUT ALSO WITH CRITICS   AROUND the WORLD...

AND IN "AMERICAN-IZING" IT, THEY WEREN'T JUST "INSPIRED" by the ORIGINAL FOREIGN FILM-MAKERS, THEY WERE ALSO "INSPIRED" by the BASIC STYLE and PREMISE of CLOVERFIELD (A HAND-HELD/MINI-CAM LOOK, SUPPOSEDLY LEFT BEHIND by the "VICTIMS")...  

SO, YOU SEE, IT's NOT LIKE YOU CAN CLAIM QUARANTINE IS JUST ANOTHER TINSEL-TOWN RIP-OFF.

IT'S, LIKE, a TOTALLY NEW IDEA!

(...DID YOU BUY ANY of THAT???)

FIREMAN: "Yeah, we were able to cut a few bucks from our budget by recycling Kirk Cameron's costume from FIREPROOF..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 7:04am

As Nasty Man mentions in another string on this Forum, the makers of this remake apparently arranged for the original Spanish version of this material -- a version which, by all accounts, is one of the best horror movies of the last decade -- to be UNAVAILBE on DVD in the US.

Since it's the Spanish version, and not this watered-down American remake, that I'd prefer to see, all I've got to say is: Thanks a lot, Screen Gems!!

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 9:03am
Geez, first Cloverfield and now this?! Why is The Blair Witch
Project
being ripped off now?!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 12:28pm

Originally posted by movieman

Geez, first Cloverfield and now this?! Why is The Blair Witch
Project
being ripped off now?!

Because it was a successful movie, thus Hollywood will try to copy its aspects and style in order to make more money. It's like drilling in the same well over and over again in hopes of striking oil every time.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Because it was a successful movie, thus Hollywood will try to copy its
aspects and style in order to make more money. It's like drilling in the same
well over and over again in hopes of striking oil every time.

You do make a good point, and I guess it would make sense to make it now,
and not seven or eight years ago where most people would remember
Blair Witch...
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 11:31am

Here's what I posted on the Mirrors board:

The most recent horror film I thought was scary was http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/. Although I like almost every film I see, trust me when I say this: This has got to be one of the best and scariest horror films ever made! Don't worry. This movie is from Spain. It's getting to be known by more people because an American remake is coming out this year (mostly shot-for-shot with some newly added scenes, including an alt. ending) called "Quarantine." (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/) Rec isn't out on DVD yet but there are sites and torrents out there to see it. I think it's going to come out on DVD when Quarantine comes out.

moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 11:31am
I get the feeling some of the characters in this movie might die. Don't know why...

Also, isn't that firefighter from the Hostel films? Glad to see they're invoking only the classiest films of horror's recent years.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 9:27am
Yes! It is the highest rating in RT, although it's like 9 reviews. Now after saying this, the movie might tilt down to rotton but who cares. I loved the original and want to see this badly.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 10:47am
Wow! 70% approval rating! They are good at researching who they
allow to see their movie!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 1:35pm
Hahahahaha...see, now it's falling. This always happen when I'm happy at first. Why do critics do this to me? Why? WHY?! Maybe I should have kept the happiness to myself.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:41pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Hahahahaha...see, now it's falling. This always happen when I'm happy at first. Why do critics do this to me? Why? WHY?! Maybe I should have kept the happiness to myself.

Sorry, but critics will always rain on movie lovers' parades. No matter how much you love a movie, there will be a handful of critics who will hate the very mentioning of that movie's name. That's just the way it is, you can't please all the people all of the time.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 7:52pm
How many successful Americanizations have there actually been? Like.... 1 or 2? The annoying thing to me is that I don't think the reason that Americans do this is because they think they can make it better, but that so many Americans don't wanna read subtitles or open their eyes to a different way of filming a movie. And money, of course, but still.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 1:47am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

How many successful Americanizations have there actually been? Like.... 1 or 2? The annoying thing to me is that I don't think the reason that Americans do this is because they think they can make it better, but that so many Americans don't wanna read subtitles or open their eyes to a different way of filming a movie. And money, of course, but still.

It would be alot cheaper if the American studios would just buy the rights to the original movie and have them subtitled rather than remaking the whole thing. If movies like "Passion of the Christ" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" proved anything, it' that American movier goers CAN read. Or at least the ones over the age of 18.

andresbayona14 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote andresbayona14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 12:01pm

I don't understand why you guys are saying that this film is bad. In fact it got favorable reviews at Rottentomatoes. This happens because you tend to say things without having any idea. When this "WORST MOVIE OF THE WEEK" was posted there wasn't any review at rottentomatoes or other media. This case remembers me "SNAKES ON A PLANE" which was attacked many time before it was released and the result was completely the opposite: critics loved it and RAZZIES were wrong...as usual. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Where did you get the idea that we nominated SNAKES ON A PLANE for any RAZZIES??  We did have a Forum on it, and also did a Member Field Trip to see it opening weekend (and had a ball laughing throughout the film ). But SNAKES was NOT a RAZZIE nominee.

You seem, like many people stopping by this Forum who spew opinions without spedning any time researching their relevance, to have assumed that any film we discuss will automatically be nominated. The Forum is essentially a means of discussing POTENTIAL CONTENDERS -- Not necessarily an indication that all 60 or so 2008 films under discussion will end up being nominated as the year's Berry Worst... 

ambb04®
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 11:52pm

Snakes on a Plane was horrible. I have no idea why critics liked it, other than the fact that it was one of last 2006's biggest laugh riots.
Seriously, you have people being bitten on their crotches and breasts and it's supposed to be dead serious...and they expect us not to laugh??

Originally posted by andresbayona14

I don't understand why you guys are saying that this film is bad. In fact it got favorable reviews at Rottentomatoes. This happens because you tend to say things without having any idea.
When this "WORST MOVIE OF THE WEEK" was posted there wasn't any review at rottentomatoes or other media. This case remembers me "SNAKES ON A PLANE" which was attacked many time before it was released and the result was completely the opposite: critics loved it and RAZZIES were wrong...as usual.

andresbayona14 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote andresbayona14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 1:42am
Of course...Snakes on a plane was funny and it clearly didn't take itself very serious. But the point here is that the razzie members sometimes think that a film will be bad and they post that thoughts without knowing the critics point of view. And that's why i definitely don't agree that Quarantine is the worst film of the week. If you see other films released that same week you can clearly see that there were some other films painfuly bad. This is just to call attention.
ambb04®
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>